Seagate 7200.8 400GB & 300GB in Japan

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CleanSerious5, Dec 18, 2004.

1. seagate is known for their quiet hdd, so i guess performance goes to wd

2. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

I think reliability is also very important besides speed and sound.

3. quite right, my wd is dieing...

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

my WD is also dying :( i've stop using it

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I prefer Seagate when it comes to HDDs, but I do have a WD running... If all of u guys's are dying, then that doesn't bode well for me at all... :shifty:

6. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

my 2 wd is still functioning after like 3 years of use (all are 2 mb version).

Could it be that the newer faster are actually less reilable?

7. maybe western digital is just loosing their touch..

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well, considering the drives that are already problematic, they've already lost it.... :lol:

9. too bad, my brother already has a 200 gig wd..

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

WD is definitely NOT one of the HDD I would buy today...

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, it depends on the model and maybe the place of manufacture.

Like the IBM Deathstars. I remember that most of the dead drives came from Hungary.

And as for the WD drives, I think the WD1200JB and WD2500JB drives have a reliability issue. Mine died suddenly after 3 months of service. :wall:

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Bad news for me then... :p I got mine cheap.... :p

13. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

my WD has been working fine like I said. Even my external HD is working good. Although I don't abuse ie that much as some of you guys may have, maybe that prolong its life.

14. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, I treated my WD 120GB hard disk very well, IMHO. :mrgreen:

I gave it plenty of space and TWO 80mm fans to keep it really cool. And I run it in an air-conditioned room. Very pampered hard disk. :haha:

15. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

wow .. more pampered than my drive :O ..
    i only have it near the intake fan .. in aircond room .. since i was in college ..
    i was in a warm room with no intake fan .. for about 3 months .. :O

16. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

well, in that case, I am the least pampering of all. I just toss it in the case, no special treatment, no cooling near it at all. I used to even put 2 next to each other. So far it's working great.

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

My hard disks are well pampered too. Always in cool air and the twin 80mm intake fans are blowing over em... :thumb:

18. mine too,i recently renovated so a fan blows over my hdd :mrgreen: but it still broke... :cry:

19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Adrian showed that tender loving care just aint enough... :mrgreen: His hard disk still died. Theres only so much we can do. Oh well...

20. loving care still helps, and with these 300/400 gig babies, im sure anyone would do anything to take care of them... :mrgreen: