Seagate 750GB Barracuda 7200.10 Hard Drive Review!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, May 15, 2006.

1. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

It's more to heat I guess as lots of people like to use their laptops placed on their beds which causes huge heatsoaks which is also the main cause to many lappie H/w failure including (You better believe this) wifi module failure

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, heat is a big killer. But I've seen people abuse their notebooks in ways that make me wince.

It's amazing their hard drives are still not dead from all the knocks and shocks. :haha:

3. brajko2

brajko2 Newbie

ChampionLLY: I know it's bad when it happens, and there's more chance something will go wrong on a hard drive which frequently moves and has lot of vibrations. As I said, laptop manufacturers should produce laptops with RAID capability :)
    But the main point I was trying to say, storage world will have to develop some new technology. 1 Tera of data is really good for everyone storage needs, but hopefully you wouldn't have to recover part of data from it. 'Cause it will cost more then an arm and leg :)

4. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

there are laptops with RAID0/1

5. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. RAID is one way of improving reliability. But it's also a very expensive way to do it.

IMHO, if you want to keep your notebook hard drives running long and reliably, cool your notebook with a good notebook cooler and don't move notebook about while it's running.

Yeah, you probably like using it on your bed or pick it up and walk everywhere. But all those shocks and jostling is a good way to kill your notebook hard drive.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I just read an article about HDD cooling not the best way to improve reliability. :D

7. Adrian Wong

Where? Heat is definitely a major killer of hard drives... :think:

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

9. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. It just quotes the study, but never mentioned the conditions in which the study was conducted.

Incidentally, I wonder if a study in a specially-cooled data center can really show the effect of heat on a hard drive...

But I agree with them on a few points. Temperature changes is a bigger problem than merely higher temperatures. As long as the working temperature is within the specified range, the drive should work reliably. I think the problem lies when you exceed the working temperature of the bearing and the motor.

Also, I believe they are right in that FC drives should really not be any more reliable than normal SATA drives. The interface really doesn't have any difference on drive reliability... :think:

10. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

hmm... my hdd has been very hot for a few weeks..
    shock is erm all the time =P

but that doesnt explain how come i hibernate it (all SMART ok) den wakeup the next morning & it died leh...

11. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

IMHO, Notebook hard disk are actually quite reliable and is able to withstand the little knocks now and then.

Yup, agree also on the fact that no matter what the interface is, the reliability of the drives are quite close, if compared apple to apple on the moving parts' MTBF. All hard disk spins a bunch of disks at the very basic anyway.but of course, SCSI and FC drives (usually) have a more stringent QC process, which bumps up the cost as there are also usually more rejected drives that fail the QC tests, unlike consumer products...

Also, FC interface isn't about reliability, it's more about the bandwidth right and interface robustness? same goes for the SCSI interface and it's ability for higher sustained data transfer rates.

"FC-AL uses fiber optic cabling in a loop configuration to produce maximum transfer speeds of 200 MB/s and connects up to 127 devices as far as 10 kilometers apart, enabling secure remote data storage. FC-AL devices can also be dual ported to provide two simultaneous input/output sessions, thereby doubling maximum throughput. FC-AL also enables hot swapping to add and remove hard drives without interrupting system operation, an important feature in server environments." - http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/library/interfaces.htm

12. Adrian Wong

Notebook hard drives are, by their physical nature, much more resistant to shock and vibration than larger 3.5" drives. But it's still not a good idea to move the notebook around while it's running.

Yeah, FC is more about speed and connectivity. But hot swapping is already available with SATA drives.

13. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I think there are limitations to the way SATA hot swaps... need to find out more, even SCSI to a certain extent. but to general users, even small enterprises, it's probably the same.. haha.

But because of the bandwidth of FC, it's basically the choice of interface for those multi-terabyte SANs....until a faster interface gets invented