Secondary IDE HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SkylineRemix, Sep 20, 2007.

1. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

I just like to know if i put the right setting for this secondary hard disk that i place into my rig recently. In BIOS, it detected as Primary Slave IDE.

I check my device manager list, it stated that it's working properly but i can't seem to find the drive in my computer? did i miss out any step?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Have you create partition?

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Right click My Computer,
    then click Manage

go to Disk Management.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You need to go to Disk Management like zy said. Do you see the drive there? If so, then it's working fine. You just need to create a partition and format it.

5. I do this everyday

so here are the steps in a little more detail:

1. Right-Click My Computer and choose Manage

2. Expand Storage and you should see Disk Management (in the left-side tree)

3. Click on Disk Management and a Disk Initialization Wizard should pop up. If it does not, move on to step 4. Just click Next a bunch of times and it will be initialized.

You'll now see a drive listed on the bottom right labeled "Drive #". To the right will be a box labeled "Unallocated".

4. Right-Click the box that says Unallocated and choose "New Partition...".

5. Click Next a bunch of times and you should be set.

1 person likes this.
  6. jomuj

jomuj Official BOG Supporter!

The first time I ran into this problem, it took me days to figure out why my primary Sata drive wasn't showing up. Even the PC tech i got to come and check it couldn't figure it out. Rather funny when i look back at it now. Needless to say I've learnt quite a bit since then ;)

SkylineRemix, their right, that should solve your problem.

7. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

sorry for the late reply...
    problem solve already..
    but i'm not sure if i did the right setting in BIOS or not...
    I'll update later when i have time...
    busy with exams nowadays... studying like shit...

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL! No worries. Take it easy, man.. and all the best in your exams! :thumb: