Server Maintainance?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by ariyamusafir, Jan 17, 2007.

1. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Sorry guys as I do not know which category to put my this enquiry into. I was thinking about having a website of my own, to start maybe a service to help those poor students in their secondary education and more, for free to them of course.

What I am considering is either to buy a server computer (in the near future perhaps) or to go for other's to do web hosting.

My Q would be, in Malaysia, let us not talk about the cost of buying the computers and the necessary softwares which are one time cost of course, what is the electrical cost in RM to have that server run 24/7?

Also, assume that I have take-up hosting with those web hoster, assume next time I got my own server, can I migrate still use back the same domain name i.e. www.yourname.net.my?

Also, what are the sources i.e. books, magazines etc. which is a good guide to learn all this stuff?

Now, how much would it cost to buy a server computer etc?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Trust me, the electrical cost of running a server is nothing compared to the cost of bandwidth, software, hardware, etc. Heck, even if you just run your server on Streamyx, the lousy ADSL connection will cost you more than your electricity.

You are unlikely to require a server for your website. Just get cheap hosting, until you find you need more bandwidth or storage space.

Yes, of course. Domain name has nothing to do with your hosting.

What stuff are you referring to?

Well, just hop over to Dell.com.my and you can take a look at the cost of their servers. But if you intend to run the server from home, you can't use those 1U server racks. You can use any PC as a server.

3. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

you mean I can straight away use my pc as a server? How? Then what about my www address??

and what do you mean by: "even if you just run your server on Streamyx, the lousy ADSL connection will cost you more than your electricity."

Mine is NON-profit, use for service to the community. Also, don't tell me, I need to pay additional for any bandwith from Streamyx???

Also, why cannot we buy a server pc, put it into our room and wallah......

Also, windows xp also can use as server meh???

Why you say I am unlikely to require a server for my website???? A server is not a pc to do website meh??? So what the hack do others go pay so much for hosting when they can do it at the comfort of their pc. I am really confuse now. Can you tell me in detail?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  4. Adrian Wong

Well, if you are doing it on an ADSL connection, then you will need a dynamic DNS service because your IP changes everytime you reconnect. I'm not sure if there are any dynamic DNS services that allow you to use your own www domain. :think:

Err.. It means the electricity cost of running a server will be far less than the RM 88 or 99 you pay for a 1mbps Streamyx connection.

What for? So you can brag? LOL! A server is nothing more than a PC dedicated to serving files.

Not recommended la... Use Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 la. :)

You just need a host for your website la. What's the point of getting your own server just for a small website? It's like buying a cow just to drink milk. :haha:

Seriously, instead of worrying about the server and hosting, you should think more about the content you want to develop. If you can't produce content that will attract users, then what's the point? :think:

5. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

comrade, thanks for the advice.

However, my now following up q would be if that being the case, if ever I apply for a static IP which cost somewhat about RM600 then how????

Of course, my content is not actually meant to say or really attract people but is actually meant to help students. I want to help educate our society. Is more like a Free tuition website but at the same time, something more.... hehehe.... propaganda..... such as moral, nationalism etc.....

As you know, I am running on windows xp and if I ever use my com on this, then it must not affect my usage i.e, to hantam game and for my parents to use.

Can VISTA support such?

another thing on the dynamic ip thing..... if I on my pc 24/7 then should do the trick as the ip will still be the same already right???? Also, what do you mean by "dynamic DNS service "

So, dear comrade, assume now I have already got all the contents running, so how do I go about? How do I register my own domain name? Can I write my own email??? You see, like some websites do have their own email, some host do provide pop3 plus webmail email, how do I go about this?

Assume years later I decided to format my computer, but I back-up my files, dows my domain name still exist?

Comrade, so how do I register a domain, and how do I create my own website, page and email?

6. Adrian Wong

To get a static IP here, you will need either a leased line (super expensive) or an SDSL connection (also expensive, but not as expensive as leased line). But what's the point of paying so much just for a static IP?

Well, the question you will have to ask yourself is will the students come? Are you offering them something that they want? Or just something you want to tell them? If it's the latter, well, you can talk, but they may not come. :)

Ahhh.. That's not really advisable la... Servers should preferably not used for other activities. In fact, you should set it to focus on background services and system cache, rather than foreground applications.

Hey, hey... This is too much for anyone to answer. Haha.. You definitely need to start small. You need to learn to walk before you run. :mrgreen:

Forget the server. If you have not yet even tried to run with managed hosting, don't bother trying to run your own server. Get started with managed hosting first.

7. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

hehehe... just one more, what you are trying to say is that if assume I want to use my own pc for this activity I must dedicate it and not use it for games, etc is it? That menas might as well I buy a new com right?

8. Adrian Wong

You might as well just concentrate on your content. :)

If you really want, you can run your own server. It's a free world. But look, even we have a team to manage the server.

Why waste your time messing around with your own server when you should be working on your content? See what I mean? :D

9. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

ok, so meaning I should not turn my personal pc to a dedicated server right? Got it....

10. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

considering the cost + hassle, you're better off getting a web host and dump your contents some where.

yes there are, but AFAIK you have to pay for it.

like NO-IP for example, you're stuck with thier NO-IP subdomains. and if you want to use your own domain, you gotta pay.

what do you mean? i've run quite a few 1U servers at home. (and yes, there's 5 next to me right now!!!) and it's not a problem.

the only problem is the SOUND :p i've used 6 brands of 1U server boxes (9 models total) and they're damn noisy!!! especially the higher range, usually comes with a few really powerful 40mm fans.

//warning, blatant promotion of services.....

ariyamusafir, tell you what. how about you get a domain, and i can arrange for you to be HOSTED as i'm providing such service. my business la, you may visit http://www.nexcom.net.my or http://www.nexcomtechnologies.net . :) total cost comes to less than RM1 a day anyway.

quite a few cool stuff you can install, like forums, blogs, CMS and all. i don't mind giving you a try, then you'll understand what Adrian meant by FOCUSING on CONTENT. :D when you have your own server, your cost is higher due to hardware + software, then there's maintenance issues as you have to be aware that hosting at home isn't exactly safe - other than the forces of nature, you have forces of hackers and other forms of attacks.

getting domain is easy. if you want to cut cost, just go to places like www.godaddy.com and register yourself and buy the domain. however if you're afraid of such process and all, i can do it for you. of course before i do that, i'll give you a quotation and all to make sure you're ok with it and stuff. :)

formatting of computer has nothing to do with your domain, simply because your domain records are stored some place else. :) nothing to do with your computer at all.

webmail / POP3 / FTP and all those stuff are usually part of the hosting package already (yes, my hosting package has them)

and yes, you can write your emails WITH your own domain. :)

this is subjective. if your site is low traffic, and you have a reasonable spec machine - i don't see why you can't do it. (play games + webserver running). i do it all the time.

even now, i have Apache + MySQL running on my system (was doing programming, got bored, came here, saw this) and i've quite often played games with my Firefox (many tabs), Photoshop, F@H and my Webserver / Database running concurrently.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  11. Adrian Wong

Actually what I meant was you can't just buy a 1U server and run it. You need a server rack. Might as well just buy a regular PC and use it as a server.

Hehe.. You are different la. He only wants a single server mah. :mrgreen:

12. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

hehe. i don't have 1U rack. i usually run them on tables, stack'em up on other PCs or heck - stack them up all together on my Ikea rack, which is what i'm doing now.

hope it doesn't break. 5x 1u box on it right now, not counting my printer, toolbox, switch, camera..........

regarding using regular PC as server - i agree that's better, especially for home users who don't want to meddle those server stuff. my servers are running off linux for now, didn't try Windows on it but there's no VGA / keyboard / mouse connectors unless you open the thing and connect the provided VGA / KM cables. :D my communication with my servers are primarily done through network / serial cables. :D

hrmm...... thinks about using them 1U servers (P4 2.4 - 2.8) for folding........but forget it, i can't stand the noise.