setting up two routers together

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by aKho, Dec 19, 2006.

1. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

my office is running a router with dhcp on and i'm given this IP to enable me to connect to the net:

e.g.
    ip: 218.208.45.1
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 218.208.45.200

now i got a linksys wrt54g wireless router i'm trying to setup with those settings above. i would like it to have dhcp on as well and assigning 192.168.1.xxx ips to wireless connections.

problem:

1. can't get the linksys to connect with the other router
    2. can two routers have their dhcp on at the same time?

fyi, the office router is assigning crap ip's. i need to manually set 218.208.45.1 etc. to get a direct lan connection to the internet.

help! :oops:

2. fyire

fyire Newbie

general rule of thumb is, one dhcp service only per network. So in other words, you cannot have 2 dhcp services running.

Now, the 218.208.45.1 IP is the WAN IP, you should also have a local LAN IP on your router. the local LAN IP should be the default gateway for your AP. Either one of your AP or the router can host the DHCP service.

ps. when u mentioned that the office router is assigning crap IPs, what IP range is it assigning? have u set up the DHCP service properly to serve IPs to the LAN?

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

you need to manually set? Hmm don't sound like your office LAN router is running DHCP :)

But anyways. it's possible for you to set it up, even with both having DHCP if you like. It's a tricky setup but nevertheless possible.

First is to get a valid IP for the router to use to connect to the WAN.

You mentioned for your PC it's...
    ip: 218.208.45.1

So let's take
    ip: 218.208.45.254
    for the router

here's how you will be setting it up.

Pull a wire and connect one end to the LAN Router ports as if it's another PC and for the router, plug it into the WAN port (meant for the ADSL modem or WAN)

And for the setting up of the router, choose the Static IP connectivity type (or anything similar) and setup the chosen IP, ie:-
    ip: 218.208.45.254

Then enable DHCP and configure it as you like and remember to enable WEP or WPA.

Voila!

Wireless devices will get IP from the wireless router and it will use it as the gateway to route all internet requests to the LAN router and then off to the rest of the world.

by default, the WAN port and the LAN port of the router is isolated and therefore will not meddle with your other LAN router's connectivity.

But beware, using this network topology, you won't be able to connect between your devices connected to your wireless router with the other PCs on the LAN router. Not unless you do a lot of funky routing table settings in the wireless router.

4. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

if you are trying to daisy-chain your routers so you can connect more computer to the internet. You have to disable the DHCP on the second router and just connect both router using a normal cable (connect use any of the Lan port (not the WAN port)).

I suggest you check your 2nd router's manual to see how to disable the dhcp and setup the ip so it can be daisy-chained

1 person likes this.
  5. aKho

thanks peaz, that's what i *tried* to do. the reason i have to set it manually because the 1st router was assigning ip's such as 169.bla.bla.bla which does not work. i have no access to this router as it is in the server room. i was only given the 218 ip to work with. so trying to setup a small network with the linksys router instead.

the problem i'm having is that the linksys is not connecting somehow to the wan 218 ip, when i have the patch cable connected to its wan port. tried doing the static ip setting.

the advanced routing option in the linksys is very confusing as well. there is like two options, gateway and router setup. in this case, i should go for router eh?

i'll have a go at it again. thanks for all the advice!

6. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

There two ways to set it, but first u need to get your current office router set corectly. Check your router's ip, gateway, the DHCP and its address pool.

First way as per SAMSAMHA said
    I'm running two routers at my home now, one is a dedicated router and the other wireless router. I disable everything on the wireless router except for the wireless, assign a fix IP outside of the address pool but same subnet, and leave only one DHCP on my dedicated router.

Second way is to run two DHCPs with each having different address pool but still in the same subnet. Then point the second router gateway to the first router, not all home use router can do this and prove to be troublesome. :faint: :faint: :faint:

P/S:
    Can u remotely connect to the router?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  7. aKho

can't access the router, only the wireless. both needs to have dhcp running, since i can't change anything on the router anyway.

so i'm trying to point the wireless to the router as a gateway..and see if that works.

8. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

No, if you use my method, you will be setting the wireless router as a gateway to your local LAN.

yes I know, it's confusing. ;)

BTW, if you setup as per falcone's second method, it's possible also and for this, you will be setting it up as a router. But it's complicated and you'll need to allocate the subnets right (i think) But by doing so, you will be able to bridge the two different subnets together and get both networks to inter communicate

1 person likes this.
  9. aKho

[​IMG]

i can't access the router. i'm only given this 218.208.45.1 WAN ip to work with. i've configured the wireless to route 10.101.101.1 to 218.208.45.1. from the wireless, i can ping the router, i can even ping the tmnet dns.

however, any pc/laptop connected to the wireless can't access the net at all. their ip's 10.101.101.X, doesn't seem to be routing to 218.208.45.1's gateway 218.208.45.200.
    subnet for all of them is 255.255.255.0

:confused:

wireless router setup:
    wan ip: 218.208.45.2 / 255.255.255.0 / 218.208.45.200
    local ip: 10.101.101.1 / 255.255.255.0

routing table:
    lan ip / subnet mask / gateway / interface
    0.0.0.0 / 0.0.0.0 / 218.208.45.200 / wan
    10.101.101.0 / 255.255.255.0 / 10.101.101.1 / lan & wireless
    218.208.45.0 / 255.255.255.0 / 218.208.45.2 / wan

both routers have their dhcp on. help!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  10. fyire

fyire Newbie

You should have an internal LAN IP for your AP. That internal LAN IP which is in the 10.101.101.x range should be the default gateway for the machines in the LAN. Check the DHCP server config in your AP to ensure that the proper settings r pushed out to the DHCP clients

1 person likes this.
  11. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

what Gateway IP did you set for you 10.101.101.x machines?

should set it to 10.101.101.1 i think :think:

but by doing that you cant ping external ips i think :think:

12. aKho

lan ip / subnet mask / gateway / interface
    10.101.101.0 / 255.255.255.0 / 10.101.101.1 / lan & wireless

yup. local PC's are assigned these settings..still does not work. :confused:

13. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

now where is sherwin when you need him :p he is suppose to be familiar with linksys stuffs :mrgreen:

anyway .. this is my routing table for my aztech router

Destination / Gateway / Genmask / Flags / Iface
    219.93.218.177 / 0.0.0.0 / 255.255.255.255 / UH / ppp0
    192.168.1.0 / 0.0.0.0 / 255.255.255.0 / U / br0
    239.0.0.0 / 0.0.0.0 / 255.0.0.0 / U / br0
    0.0.0.0 / 219.93.218.177 / 0.0.0.0 / UG / ppp0

if you cant get it work why not make your router into an access point ? :mrgreen:

1 person likes this.
  14. Falcone

Ok first let us all get this part right, you need to connect the wireless router to the network via the wireless WAN port. You need to set the WAN to use Static IP instead PPPOE then u need to set the static ip 218.208.45.1 in the wireless and to point the gateway to 218.208.45.200.

Then check your notebook see if it's ip = 10.101.101.X, subnet mask=255.255.255.0 and gateway = 10.101.101.1

Boy this is confusing :faint: :faint: :faint:

Here's how it should look like on my linksys router

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  15. aKho

exactly as how you said it Falcone. i've done that.

setting the wireless router as an access point meaning connected to the switch rather than the router directly right? tried that. notebooks connect to the wireless, are assigned a local ip but doesn't get routed.

from within the wireless router, i can ping the router and even tmnet's dns..which i assume there is a connection.

using the WAN setting of the wireless router on any PC connected to the switch will make it instantly work - able to connect to the net (when the router is connected to the switch and not the wireless).

i'm not sure if the problem is really on the router side or is it something wrong with the wireless routing itself. again, i do not have access to the router, only the ip settings for me to peruse.

:pray:

1 person likes this.
  16. aKho

finally fixed and working. turns out just need to restart the whole thing.. :oops:

17. Falcone

Lol. I though Linksys would automatically restarts after settings changes?