Should I install Windows 7 in 32bit or 64bit?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by karhoe, Aug 2, 2009.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yeah. they dont support 64bit windows yet :wall:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, once you go 4GB, it's hard to go back. :lol:

3. Adrian Wong

Well, my laptop only had 2 GB of RAM, but I installed 64-bit Vista because I knew I would be upgrading it to 4 GB. It made the later upgrade so simple - just pop in the SO-DIMM and my system's running at full potential. Otherwise, I would have to reinstall Windows just to make full use of the extra RAM.

4. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I already filled up the 2 DIMM's with 1GB (stock) + 2GB (add on), it would be kind of cost ineffective to keep that 1GB and pop in that 2GB.

Looking forward to more of 64bit apps

5. Adrian Wong

Ahh.. You can always pop in the 2GB and donate the 1GB to me! :lol:

It would work great with my Aspire One netbook -> Tech ARP - The Acer Aspire One Netbook Upgrade Guide

Sigh.. I can only upgrade it with a 1 GB module while I only have a 512 MB module and a 2 GB module. :lol:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Currently, there are very few 64 bit, almost none.

7. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hmm, well,

I have Winrar 64bit, Photoshop CS4 64bit, and a few more apps.

I read somewhere that because the OS can utilize the 64bit extension, Winrar actually performs faster

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Which I find to be somewhat funny coz there is already a usable alpha build for flash player x64 for Linux... :o

9. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Yes, it is only an alpha build. So it will take some time before we have an alpha for Windows browsers.

10. zy

yup, took them so long to create one for linux, because there is demand. i think they will only release x64 version for windows when flash 11 comes out.

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, guess since all the uber 1337 uses linux, perhaps they can test the flash application on linux first, easier to get feedbacks perhaps

12. zy

quite true. probably more x64 linux geeks needs flash compared to x64 windows :p

13. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I can start using IE 8 x64 if only I have Flash, Shockwave, in 64bit, Java is already available in 64 bit.

As for FF, it would take a long time for all add ons to be in 64bit.

14. zy

yeah, even addons have to be 64-bit. :(

15. Adrian Wong

The good news is that most 32-bit apps work real well in Vista 64. :thumb:

16. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Take that as a consolation, once I use 64 bit, I just felt that all apps that I use must be in 64bit, LOL

17. Adrian Wong

Honestly, it's not necessary for all apps to be 64-bit. Some apps need to be 64-bit to take advantage of the greater memory size, or for more accurate calculations?

You can now work with 64-bit numbers instead of just 32-bit, but how many apps really need to do that?

18. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

One question, when we want to do something on Vista Business, always something props telling us we must have admin powers bla bla bla.... now, even when using the cmd prompt, running chkdsk c: also cannot.... does windows 7 have these problems?

19. zy

its the same on windows 7
    you just need to run the program as administrator.

Right Click -> Run as Administrator.

if you want to run certain program as administrator all the time, Right Click -> Properties
    Compatibility Tab
    Privilege Level -> Check Run this program as an administrator.

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You can disable UAC. But I prefer to leave it there.