Silent PC Setup

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by goldfries, Aug 29, 2008.

1. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

no problem with the breather hole?

2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Why would it be a problem? Even if you block the breather hole with the foam it's still not airtight :)

3. lee_what2004

just thought that it mustn't be blocked

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

The purpose of the hole is the equalize the air pressure. It's not a problem as long as it's not airtight, even if you block the hole with something.

5. lee_what2004

I get it, as long not airtight :thumb:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You guys can't see in the pic. Actually, only about 30% of the foam is under/above the drive just enough to support. This will allow some airflow, reducing the HDD temp up to 5C.

7. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Pretty decent mod Chai! I was planning to do a similar thing with my system. Since I don't have enough space to do elastic suspension, gonna have to use some foam as well :)

8. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Vibration is also transfer through screw holes .. put some padding at screw

9. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

rubber paddings on the screws fixed into the hdd bay? Hmm, might go and try it later...

10. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

But do remember dun leave the drive hanging without any point touching the chassis. Need some grounding path to disperse ESD ...

11. Chai

The power cable is not sufficient for grounding? Actually, there's no point of contact with the casing at all, since that's the source of the noise/vibration.

12. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Usually design recommendation to have chassis grounding point other then power cable .. maybe just a wire or aluminum foil touching the drive to chassis.

13. Chai

Ok, will take note of that.

14. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. I have my HDD cage sitting on foam. There's no chassis. Will that be a problem?? :think:

15. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

:lol: will disperse ESD when u touches it. .. Is ok la IMO just recommendation as all good chassis wud take that into consideration for any unlikely event high ESD n such

16. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, the problem is the testbed does not have a chassis! :D

17. Chai

This is the mod needed the change the PSU. First I removed the fan from the connector of course. Then you need the take out the 2-pin fan connector holder on the PSU using a flat head screw driver. Once you take out the fan header, you can use almost any type of fan connector, 2-pin, 3-pin, or even the new Intel 4-pin if you want to! :lol:

Attached Files:

18. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

I am so going to replace the 80mm fan in my power supply... right after the warranty period is over ;)

19. Chai

It's not that simple to find the right PSU fan. It should be medium to high speed fan, to make sure the fan will still spin properly at 3-4V, that's the usual fan speed when the PSU is at low load. It's best to test the fan at low voltage before putting it in.

And be very careful with PSU. It should be properly discharged first before opening. If not, don't blame me if you don't get to post here again!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah, opening the PSU can be pretty dangerous. Touch the wrong thing and you can go poof. o_0