SLI on 975x (i Really, really, don't want to upgrade again)

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Majormaggot, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

Hey, So due to the economic times, it's getting hard to aquire funds for them new fancy video cards (ie. his 4780), and recently i aquired a seconded 8800 gt for free. Now my system hasn't changed it the last few years except in the video card department, and frankly it probably going to stay that way for quite a while, so i was hoping that there may be a way to give it to the man and run sli on a intel chipset. I remember a while back that there were modified drivers that allowed 7900's and such to run in sli on the 975x chipsets. The question is, can it be done with todays drivers? is it possible? And is it possible for the average joe to learn how to modify video card drivers?

I've reached the limits on overclocking my cpu and gpu(if i go any higher i'll be able to bake you guys a cheesecake in my case), And i figure that could probably squeeze out a few more fps by adding an extra gpu.

thanks
    Major.

2. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Here, I did some research and manage to find this link..dunno if it works or not =_=...i actually rma my 975x mobo that i got here >_<....due to bend proc pins and also the board went crazy a bit after Max tested it :p...btw here is the link dude, tell me if it works or not
    FW 85.96_mod for SLi on any chipset - XtremeSystems Forums

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It is possible to do that, since SLI support is now available in new NVIDIA drivers. However, the driver checks for a specific string in the BIOS, so only motherboards licensed (fees paid to NVIDIA) for SLI can run in SLI using the driver. Of course, the driver should be hackable... :shifty: :shifty: :mrgreen:

4. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

thanks for the input. I have tried the 85.96 drivers but they don't work to well with the 8800 gt.

How hard would it be for one to add such string to the bios? Would it be a bad idea to go tampering around with it? I'm thinking that would be easier than trying to hack drivers... i don't have much experience in hacking, well atleast digitally.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Frankly, I haven't tried it because I never found SLI worth paying for. :(

You are a different case, of course, since you got your second card for free.

However, even if you fail, you can still use the second card for PhysX (when it's supported).