Small embedded PCs - Raspberry Pi, Celerons, Semprons

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by The_YongGrand, Jun 27, 2015.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hey there,

Everyone is chasing after all the fastest i7s or the AMD A-series, but anyone else here's still staying at the bare essentials? I'm sure some of the people like me are fans of smaller systems. :thumb:

Like those newer quad-core Celerons (J1900) and the embedded all-in-one ITX board with processor?

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 for the media center, and it works pretty well with the cheap remote controller I bought outside. It can even obtain subtitles rapidly. Sadly, can't watch these H265 videos, it's stuttering and the hardware inside isn't fast enough to do that.

I'm also looking at the AMD Gizmo and the Intel Galileo, but they are way too expensive. These things are fun to play too.:thumb:

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

How fast can raspberry pi2 do super pi one meg?:mrgreen:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is the reason why I don't like getting small machines that usually have performance issues. Playing back FHD contents are pretty demanding too especially if you intend to create HTPC. Sometimes, those media players make more sense than building a new PC.

What about Intel Compute Stick or similar?

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

How expensive is the Intel Galileo?

I may be able to get one if we can do some kind of article or guide on it.

5. The_YongGrand

The Galileo is around RM350. It's running on some very minimal Linux and there's no display output or anything else. You need a serial port to USB converter to see the output.

I'm not sure if the Galileo fits to work as a media player - it's more geared towards prototyping.

Some stores in Malaysia only keep them like Cytron Malaysia (www.cytron.com.my). :thumb:

6. Adrian Wong

WOW! I didn't know it was SO expensive.

If you think you can do something with it, and write about it, I might be actually able to get a review sample.

Interested?

7. The_YongGrand

There's a new Archos Stick with Windows 10 and Office bundled inside. It's $99 dollar, and plug this at the back of your LED TV, you have a whole new media center. :) :thumb:

Archos Stick

8. Adrian Wong

The only problem is the storage space for the "media"... :mrgreen:

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Is there a apple tv like device using Android? Is chrome cast the Android alternative?