Sound Card You think worth buying now or later

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by starboykb, Dec 12, 2008.

1. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

I already stop buying secondary card after my Creative sound blaster card blasted me five years ago. hate to say it doesn't last longer.

i want to know if today sound card are worth upgrade, since i was thinking about getting one next year but dont even know which to go for. So i am doing a little survey of what kind of Sound card or brand you guys going to get if you had the free cash from Christmas :p?

Just think of the free cash = dreaming

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What is your priority? What do you expect more from a sound card?

Sound Quality? Gaming features? Multi-channel?

3. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

If it's just for gaming then get a Creative XtremeGamer card.

4. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Get the ASUS Xonar D2. Best alternative for Creative.

5. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

yes chai, for gaming and musics.

i dont really know about creative, hearing lots of negative on their drivers. but only hearing a lot of good review from Asus.

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I don't have too much gripes about their drivers. Just tacky interface.

X-Fi or Auzentech (technically still a X-Fi). :p

Make sure you go for the EMU20K1/2 chips and not the CA0106 chip (X-Fi Xtreme Audio).

One thing I love about the X-Fi are the Alchemy software that converts older games DS3D to become hardware accelerated in Vista.

Only way you will get true hardware acceleration in game is via Creative's offerings (or the X-Fis licensed to Auzentech).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  7. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I don't know how the drivers are now, but people used to complain about the Vista drivers especially. Auzentech/Asus are good alternatives too, although the Asus Xonars are a bit expensive.

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

In Creative's defense, they had Vista drivers REALLY fast (pretty critical since the HAL removal pretty much killed all forms of Audio Hardware Acceleration). Unfortunately, they didn't think about porting their software/utilities until MUCH later.

They FINALLY fixed that and even provided an ISO for an updated driver disk and their regular updates (again through tacky interfaces) continue to add more and more stuff (recently the reintroduction of DTS and Dolby support for Vista).

I really don't have a lot of complaints now.

9. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

good sound card goes with good speakers do you have already?

10. Chai

I would avoid Creative. Asus D2 should be cheap and good.

11. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

i use head phone a lot. Currently using Edifier 2.1 and if i get 5.1, i dont even know where to put it.

12. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, it really depends on the budget though..Asus D2 is good but i remember it lags a few features..speaking of for gaming, X-Fi cards still preforms better than asus D2X (their higher end cards) and also not to mention EAX. If one does not really care bout all those, can op for Asus D2 or D2X.After all, OEM X-Fi cards are freaking cheaper over here (if you noe where to get)..considering getting a asus card to try out though...Auzentech x-fi cost a bomb over here lol..

13. Chai

Asus D2X uses software emulation, that's why it's slower than X-Fi. But if your priority is sound quality, you might wanna stay away from the X-Fi series.

Auzentech Prelude uses better DAC and opamps, which makes it better than all Creative X-Fi series.

14. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

especially when i saw them using high quality capacitors. but i still not too sure on Creative products since their business starting to get very bad this year. never seen them improved their product until now.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  15. Chai

Their EMU professional series are OK though, but it's not meant for gaming or multi channel.

16. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Some one recommend me before for the Audiotrak sound card. Maybe you can have a look also.