Soundcard & BIOS? problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shrill, Apr 14, 2006.

1. shrill

shrill Newbie

Hi all, I have got a problem with my comp. I have bought a new old ( ;) ) one to use it as a server and storage. Then I noticed several problems.

1) when I want to turn off the system, i have to press and hold the Power button to shut the system down and in the Power Management in BIOS i can see no ACPI functions although I was said that it is ATX motherboard. And that it was able to shut down normally (for present days normally) without touching the button.
    My BIOS looks the almost the same as this: http://www.powerspec.com/support/system_boards/4300bios.html
    My motherboardi is with SiS 5595/620 chipset (matsonic 7380sg).

2) when I wanted to use the onboard audio, it worked, but when I listened to it, it made very loud noise (like it was interfering with another hardware device which produced electric signal and sent it to the Sound card output). It was even worse when I moved with the mouse or when some program did some operation...when the comp was working. The music/sound from the soudcard was chopping (not the right word, but I don't know the right english :) ), the more the computer was working on other tasks (but not only the difficult ones, moving with mouse made the music unlistenable), the more the chopping.
    So I gave up the onboard audio and bought old a Yamaha YMF724 soudncard.
    I encountered 2 errors: Firstly, if the CPU to PCI Post Write is enabled (in BIOS), the soundcard stops responding after about 15 seconds of playing music (in various players). If the option is disabled (which I think isn't the best thing to do) I face almost the same problem as with the onboard audio. There isn't any noise when the comp is not working on other tasks, but when it is, again, the sound is choppy.
    The audiocard worked on friend's comp well, but i don't know whether with or without the CPU to PCI Post Write enabled.

Thank you for your help, as I tried everything and with no success. And in BIOS features I am not very strong :)

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hi, when it comes to BIOS settings, you should really check our BIOS Optimization Guide here - http://www.rojakpot.com/bog.aspx.

You can directly head to the free site here - http://www.rojakpot.com/freebog.aspx.

Regarding your first problem, you need to check and see if there are any BIOS options for the power button or Suspend functions. Also, did you enable Power Management?

Regarding your second problem... you can try increasing your PCI Latency to 64 or 128. You can also try changing the location of your PCI card or enabling APIC (if it's available with your motherboard).

3. shrill

shrill Newbie

I tried the Latency changing - nothing got better
    I tried also an ISA soundcard - the same problem
    And my NIC cards in PCI work well...

My BIOS looks the same as in the link I have posted, so I don't know what do you mean by "you need to check and see if there are any BIOS options for the power button or Suspend functions" :)
    Power management enabled

But thanks for your help :)

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello shrill,

It may look similar, but I would highly suggest you take some pictures of the BIOS screens, especially the Power Management section and post them here.

Then, we can better see what you set.