Speakers of death.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RangerRed, Mar 3, 2006.

1. RangerRed

RangerRed Newbie

Well I am having probs with my Labtec speakers... usually when turning them off they make a boomph sound... sometimes they create a static noise line on the monitor when turning off n cuts the power to my usb devices, which in this case is my G5 mouse. 30secs later the power comes back to the USB devices but the G5 mouse is not recognised not matter how many times you plug them back in, unless I reboot the system. But other optical mice don't seem to have this problem after the power loss.

Some people in MIRC tells me that the speakers are sending back feedback and that it may fry my sound card n other components.

Another theory is that some capasitors on the motherboard are blown thus not shielding the USB devices when the speakers give feedback when being turned off. That theory also gives weight on the fact that once in a while avi files give an error 'memory can not be read/write' in bsplayer but works in media player classic. This memory error rarely appears too when opera is closed. Ram was tested with Memtest for 2 passes and cleared it.

The USB problem happens with the speakers plugged either plugged into the powerstrip or into the UPS with the PC.

If all else fails whats a good set of speakers do you recommand for MP3 listening and gaming.

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Moved..:mrgreen:

What kind of labtec speakers are u using?

3. RangerRed

RangerRed Newbie

PsYkHoTiK, Labtec 475.

Thx to the mod on moving the thread.. wasnt too sure how to do it myself... and on closing the clone thread too.

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hey no prob.. :thumb:

Welcome to ARP Forums btw... :arp:

Could it be a grounding issue with your speakers maybe? That sounds weird. Do you get any of that if u try other speakers or headphones, ear buds etc?

5. RangerRed

RangerRed Newbie

Not sure... gonna move the speakers to another pc n see if that monitor gets a static when it is turned off.

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, that'd be best to see...

7. RangerRed

RangerRed Newbie

Ok tried it on the other pc n no static line....

8. RangerRed

RangerRed Newbie

BTW i do have a very old monitor so that could account for the static line... the other pc has a more recent monitor.. only 1 1/5 yrs old.

Secondly, i forgot to mention is that the G5 mouse if you unplug it and plug it back sometimes does not detect even though it gets power just like the speaker turning off and killing the usb power..

I have now just wrapped my powerstrips cable that pass behind the speaker in alu foil. THe speaker's power cable is also wrapped and the monitor's power cable too. I still get the static line on turning on and off the speaker. Can't test the mouse as it went into servicing with MLC.

9. RangerRed

RangerRed Newbie

Interestingly, some people in IRC ask me when these problems occured.. the usb devices losing power, memory errors and i realise is when i got this 5 yr old reconed 21" monitor.

Could bad grounding on the monitor be the causes of those problems?

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I highly suspect that you have some grounding issues.. I can't think of any other reasons...:think:

11. RangerRed

RangerRed Newbie

PsYkHoTiK of the monitor? it could be cause really with my speakers earlier on my newer 17" monitor i never had such issues with the mem or the mouse....

12. RangerRed

RangerRed Newbie

A nagging detail occurs to me... i get like a slightly grainy effect on the monitor if it is plugged into the mains but not when it is plugged into the psu or UPS.

The grainy type effect is visible when the speakers are either on or off.

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It may be the cause since you cant seem to replicate the problem you've been having when u use other monitors. This is really weird. I haven't heard of something like this before lol... :p

14. RangerRed

RangerRed Newbie

Well using my sister's Creative SBS250 turning them on n off at the mains causes the same distortion line.. the in both my speakers n her speakers btw lasts for a sec. Since the monitor is plugged into the UPS the power it get from there is clean.. that only means its picking up RF or EMI through somewhere else.... maybe through the VGA cable or even through the monitor's casing? i dont know.... i mean if i run even my usb hdd enclosure it will cause minor distortion to monitor but not to the newer ones.

15. RangerRed

RangerRed Newbie

Ok just switched monitor.. no lines appeared on my father's samsung 551s monitor when turning on n off the speakers power.

16. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Your monitor is really suspect:think:

It might be good to have it serviced.

17. RangerRed

RangerRed Newbie

Cannot find a hooker for it yet.. maybe tomorrow... lol

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

19. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Well if the cord could rise to the occasion, the hooker might be a bit jealous:angel: lol

20. RangerRed

RangerRed Newbie

Well got me a Samsung 793DF now waiting for my G5 to come back from RMA...