Startup question

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Falcone, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I'm trying to disable a few programs from automatically startup when system boot. I just forgoten which ini file is it. Can someone help refresh my memory? thanks

2. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

type "msconfig" into the run command! :thumb:
    :arp:

3. Falcone

That's the strangest thing...I did tried that...but my win2k can't find the file????

4. Falcone

This reason I'm asking is that my notebook is infected with W32/Duster (Mcaffee) / W32.HLLW.Studd (Norton), my NAV manage to delete the file or everytime at startup a message box pops up saying unable to rrun the damn virus, and it's irritating. NAV sux.

BTW the boot ini file i was looking for is system.ini, unfortunately it's not there damn.

5. Falcone

Yes I found it!!!

Tha damn thing hide in registry......under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Windows NT>CurrentVersion>Winlogon

There is a string Value name: Shell, Value data: Explorer.exe dust.exe

Not even McAfee or Norton website has this......

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

LOL! Old virus? :think:

7. Brian

Brian Newbie

for WinNT, it's another command, i'll try searching, but for Win9x and WinXP, it's msconfig

8. Falcone

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Windows 2000 does not have any msconfig or similar programs. Only WinXP and Win9x OS have them.

10. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

there was a program tat u can download for win 2000 somewhat similiar to msconfig....but i cant remember the name :oops: