static electricity!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by belikethat, Jul 5, 2007.

1. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

here the story, i am changing my graphic card
    and so i don`t have a anti static wrist and worried that bad stuff might or could happen if there is static.

so i just off the plug but not pull out?
    the i/o switch at the back of the PSU, off it or on it?
    and 1 hand needs to touch the PC while working on it naked? :thumb:

how do i ground myself actually? well besides that parent's grouding :haha:

2. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

If you are not in an air conditioned room, it is extreamly unlikely your'll spake off static.

3. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Just ground yourself down whenever you're gonna touch something. :)

Make sure to touch only bare metal (unpainted) thats on the inside of your case. :D

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

And make sure you are not on a carpet or else it defeats the purpose of grounding. :mrgreen:

6. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Stick your finger into the earth socket of your power bracket. :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :haha: :haha: :haha:

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Huh? Can? :mrgreen:

8. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

Static has never cross my mind when i work with my PC, never had static problem before. Also I think if you touch something( or someone?) like metal surface or something before you work on your pc's sensitive components, you should be able to get rid of all the static on your body. But then again, most of the time i experienced static was when i came of my car (with air con on) to open the gate of my house in a sunny afternoon. When i stepped out of the car, and closede the car door, then i touched the metal it usually will sparked. Happens quite alot to me that way.

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Static is more likely to happen when you're in dry air. It's a problem during winter here or when the air conditioner is on.

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yeah.. winter .. :faint:
    sometimes i forget the fabric softener :faint: