Static protection - Starp or glove?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1031982, Nov 10, 2008.

?

What should I do...

1. Strap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gloves

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I am thinking of getting anti-static gloves, as the strap can occasionally get in the way.
    Any one have an experience with these? If it's not worth it, I won't bother.

Also, any recommendations of gloves would be great, as I have been using straps from when started working with computers. I don't think I would have to, or want to spend much. I would prefer a store, at $10 USD if possible.

Like these.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

I'd get the strap since my hands get sweaty pretty fast when they're in a glove.

Then again, you might just use the goold ol' trick: leave your forearm resting on a metal edge of the case OR touch a metal part of the case once in a while. I use strap and no strap, and no problems so far.

3. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

yup thats what i do. touching metal edge. however, it is a good pratice using static protection gloves or strap. i am looking for it too, any online store intro would be appreciated.

4. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Innotronics

There is a shoe/heel strap version which I find more comfortable with the wrist strap ..

5. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I would've thought that gloves would get in the way even more than a strap, especially if you're doing delicate work on your PC.

6. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well then, seems staying with the strap is a bit more out of the way. As for touching the case every so often, I don't want to rick forgetting to do that. I tend to get suckek into what i am doing.

7. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hmm, for me, just discharge myself.

Want to play safe, poke a metal fork into the "Earth" hole in the socket and repeatly touch it LOL

Just ensure you know which is Earth, make sure not 'life'

Ok, that's a little overkill. For me, just touch any metal parts and ensure not standing on carpet, it'll be fine

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I have/wear a strap usually but I usually have an arm on the case anyways. :o

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I don't use anything, they are just getting in my way IMO.

10. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Plus when I'm only fiddling around for 2 minutes with your computer case, I'm too lazy to get the strap out :haha:

11. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

That's why use heel/shoe strap. you put on your shoe, do not have have to tie it to anything, just make sure is not carpet floor ..

It doesn't get in the way of anything..

12. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

I've been building computers for about 13 years now. Have never worn gloves or a strap. Have built a few hundred PCs with no problem.

...having said that, I did manage to static-zap a modem by crawling all over the carpet one night to plug the damn phone cord into the wall. So I guess the lesson there is don't crawl all over the carpet before working on your PC.

13. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Same here, never ever used strap or gloves.

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah, I actually keep my forearm on the case while working anyways. It's just over here, the winters are a bit dry (the air). So I got the strap just for extra precaution.

Hmm. But Washington is a LOT more humid than Kansas so idk (I used to get zapped just stepping out of the car - but not here)... :think:

15. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, sometimes I am in an area where there is a lot of carpet, or there is a lot of static build up. My own PC, it depends on what I need to do. With the recent build I used a strap. When I get finished, I will just hold on the the case on the inside. Then again, all I will need to do is connect my optical drives and close it up.

16. Spanner

Spanner Newbie

I think a strap is a good safety precaution just in case there is static build-up in your area.....Better safe than sorry

17. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, i guess it's individual..never use a strap or glove...lol..i always sorta "earth" myself by touching the back of the casing? (i read this up somewhere..)

18. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!! That's dangerous! You don't want to accidentally FRY yourself. :D

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, I think static is much less of a problem in the tropics where it's so humid.

20. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Yeah I used to get that in Perth...hence developed a habit of closing car doors by pushing the window. Haha. Wonder if people who gave me lifts ever noticed all the fingerprints :haha: