strange problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JazzyJ, Apr 23, 2008.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ Newbie

Hi All,
    I have recently upgraded my system and I have started to get some strange problems. After I had installed the motherboard and CPU things where fine but as of late things have changed. sor some reason my keyboard stops functioning a few moments after I long into windows, I tried another keyboard and the same thing happened. I also have an issue where the monitor goes blank as if the PC was in sleep mode but it just does it on its own and I cant seem to find the problem I would be most greatful for any advice you could offer:wall: . Here are my system specs.
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (GO)
    M/B: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
    GPU:Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    Ram: 2x1GB DDR2 800
    DVD/RW
    Cooling:Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    PSU: Qtec 500W

Windows Vista Ultimate 64BIT

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

you did a reformat after upgrading things right?

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ Newbie

strange

yes, but the system hung durring install

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Doesn't sound cool on the lockup during install but on the keyboard check your BIOS to make sure USB support is enabled for keyboard and mouse if thats what your using as I found Gigabyte leaves those disabled by default on the GA-X38-DQ6. Keyboard worked fine in BIOS but not after it boots in windows.

On the video check your default settings in BIOS ... onboard, PEG, etc.

5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ Newbie

strange

sorry forgot to say the mouse is connected via ps2, the keyboard issue prevents me from typing in the serial number so I can't reinstall windows it's driving me nuts:nuts: , not sure if it's a mobo issue or even a power issue.

6. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

have tried the keyboard on other usb slot? or even a ps/2 slot?

7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ Newbie

strange

hi, the keyboard is a ps2 one and i don't have a usb one to try it with, it seems odd that it works in the bios menu but fails in windows:wall:

8. Mac Daddy

That is really strange as the reason USB support of keyboard and mouse is disabled by default is because PS/2 is default :think:

That P35 board is very common and the PS/2 connectors are integrated into the mobo. If the keyboard and mouse were reversed they wouldn't work at all. Did you select a full format not fast while installing windows or does the keyboard operate that long ?

9. JazzyJ

JazzyJ Newbie

strange

not sue if it was a full format as vista did not offer a quick option I may try another method of format thanks for your help so far :o

10. Mac Daddy

Most welcome hope ya get it sorted. You said Vista how old is your keyboard and what OS was it installed on using your old setup ?

11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ Newbie

Strange

hi, my keyboard worked fine with vista when I had it on my previous set up, do you think the issue mught be to a lack of power?

12. Mac Daddy

Hmmm reason I mentioned keyboard age is Vista has support issues with older hardware and of course it loads default settings on install which may not alway be 100 percent compatable.

On the power I think you should be fine @ 500W I am running a Corsair HX-520 here and is plenty even for 2 viddy cards.

All I can suggest is try a USB keyboard its all I have used on this board. Odd yours worked before though I see nothing in my Giga manual under Integrated Peripherals that affect PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

13. JazzyJ

JazzyJ Newbie

strange

hi, i went back to basics and did a complete deinstall and then reinstalled everything and then reinstalled vista and now all seems well :thumb: now I am back in quad core heaven :dance: thanks for all your help :D

cheers J

14. Mac Daddy

Glad ya got it sorted :thumb: