Suggestion for a Mechanical Keyboard. Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by marc, Feb 27, 2013.

1. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Hey guys!

Am in the market for a mechanical keyboard which I will be using MOSTLY for 'typing', yes... u read that right... 'typing' and not gaming! :mrgreen:

I tested out the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 and it felt awesome! The click and audible feedback is nostalgic and I just love it!

I'm not particularly familiar with mechanical keyboards.

Would any experts here shed some light on them and also which models are recommended? Budget is ~RM500.

Another model that catches my eye is the CM Storm Trigger but I think it's not so easily available.

I did read a little about Ducky and Filco, but they had so many models to choose from, I was totally confused. :oops: However, I am able to source for Filco models at a much lower price than retail, so I might consider them over Ducky (but Filco doesn't have backlighting IIANM, which I find very useful for my needs - I normally work when the wife's asleep).

Thanks in advance! :beer:

2. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I have no suggestions but... if you plan to use them while your wife is asleep, wouldn't that be disturbing her? *click* *clack* *click* *clack*

1 person likes this.
  3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Not all mechanical keyboards are clicky. I've been using Ducky 9008. I have that review posted in TechARP. I think it is quite a decent one. I believe there's not much difference between them. These keyswitches are usually made by the same Cherry MX.

The main choice that you need to make is the type of keyswitch that suits you best. There's clicky type, tactile or not etc. You can check my review for my info on that.

1 person likes this.
  4. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Haha. So far have not had a problem when using my laptops. It's just that certain mechanical keyboards have a much more audible sound when clicking. :mrgreen:

Thanks Chai! :beer: Your review and explanation has helped me a lot. I guess I will go for the most 'clicky' of all then since it's my preference. Will try to reduce work-time when the wifey's asleep. :thumb:

5. Chai

The go for the blue switch type. That's the clicky and tactile type.

6. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Haha. Actually, after reading your article (especially on the switches explanation), I went out and got the keyboard already. The BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 which is using Cherry MX Blue switches. Thanks again for the advice! :thumb:

7. Chai

Great! :thumb:

8. remixedcat

remixedcat Newbie

Ever try the Logitech G710+???