Suspend options in Bios wrong?

Discussion in 'BIOS Optimization Guide (BOG)' started by StewD, Jan 10, 2007.

1. StewD

StewD Newbie

Hi

I have purchased a Intel Celeron D351 3.2 Ghz 775, to go with an Asrock 775i945GZ i945 socket 775.

I have installed Ubuntu 6.10 and am trying to make the "suspend" feature work so that the PC will largely shut down and use minimal power until I press a button on the keyboard (ideally USB, but I do have a PS/2 keyboard in at present as well) or another machine on my network attempts to access a file from the hard drive.

The motherboard offers Wake On Lan, so I assume this is possible.

I have changed the ACPI BIOS setting as follows, without full understanding of what each function does, especially Ring-In:

Suspend to RAM [Auto]
    Repost Video on STR Resume [Yes]

Restore on AC/Power Loss [Power Off]
    Ring-In Power On [Enabled]
    PCI Devices Power On [Enabled]
    PS/2 Keyboard Power On [Enabled]
    RTC Alarm Power On [Disabled]
    ACPI HPET Table [Disabled]

I then successfully go into Ubuntu, select Suspend and the machine dutifully suspends itself , with the monitor being switched to a suspend state as well. Success?!

No....The USB keyboard is ignored, keys on the PS/2 are responded to with the HDD light and the DVD light coming on. The Monitor switches back on and presents me with the following error messages.

Please note I have had to type these on a different machine, so there may be the odd typo!!

Most lines are also prefixed with [17179748.296000]

pnp: Failed to activate device 00:0c.S
    Build Number: 1295 PC 14.12 02/17/2006
    ...2 other lines that flash up too quickly to read....

pnp: Failed to activate device 00:0c.s
    ata1: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x4)
    Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 9511957
    last line repeated 10 times for different blocks

Anorting journal on device sda1
    ext3_abort called
    EXT3-fs error (device sda1): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal
    Remounting filesystem read-only
    Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 3
    Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 9502720
    and repeated 5 more times
    Hangs.

Any ideas what is going on, and how I can achieve Wake on keyboard and wake on network?

Many thanks,

Stewart

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

the PS/2 keyboard power on option is to allow you to power on the system when it's shut down (or in suspend mode or hibernate mode) using a PS/2 keyboard. It won't work with a USB keyboard because the PC does not supply power to the USB port until it's powered up. On the other hand, PS/2 keyboards are powered up even then the PC is shut down.

As for the error, it's probably an OS issue. THe suspend mode in Ubuntu would suspend the system into the harddisk. but i can't be sure... it looks like your error involves not being able to remount a particular drive. perhaps the suspend mode has a certain bug not able to 'wake up' certain device?

What's the sda1 device btw? is it your primary hard drive?