Sweden is to get a new embassy, in Second Life!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Olle P, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

It will probably (unless some other country come in-between) be the first official national embassy in Second Life.
    Way to go! :thumb:

Source

/Olle

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. The Swedish authorities are really sporting! :thumb:

Is Second Life like a simulation.. or can people participate? :think:

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Anyone can get on. Its a virtual world.

4. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

The level of immersion that this "game" offers people is quite scary, if you ask me :shifty:

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea... Which is one of the reasons why I stay away from it... o_0

6. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

So can someone technically attack the embassy and hold hostages while other players dressed like SAS can go in Operation Nimrod style?

7. Mad1

Mad1 <b>Old Toad</b>

1 person likes this.
  8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I like how you think Mad1... :thumb:

9. Adrian Wong

10. Mad1

Mad1 <b>Old Toad</b>

Why? we cant have this in Malaysia???

Malaysia Boleh!!!:thumb:

11. Adrian Wong

Can... but harder to find, right? :mrgreen:

12. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Second life is really getting huge.... even the CEO of IBM's participating from time to time, hosting 'virtual' meetings, and there are even IBM research dedicated to the technologies that revolves around second life.

One of them is the way you can interact with a virtual user visiting your virtual store via mobile phone. Yup, imagine my virtual avatar visiting your virtual store, and if I want to ask u a question on something you're selling and your virtual avatar isn't around, then I just go to this console and dial your real person up and then video/voice conference there and then. The virtual world connecting to real world... Cool isn't it?

I think IBM has helped a store go online (Best Buy i think) in Second Life selling real items to virtual users!

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Three words.

Get A Life! Not a second life.. :p

Sheesh, when people get stuck in a 'virtual world', I can't help but feel sorry for them.

14. peaz

Haha.... Think of it as a world flattener and an alternative economic model. Most people in 2nd life does have a real life. But second life is giving some of them a 2nd chance at a new 'career' or a chance to make a better life, something that the real world do not allow. When you see it that way. you'd see a whole new perspective on it.

of course, when people just get stuck there.... that's a whole different thing.

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

There's a slight contradiction in your post (beginning and end.) :p

Plus I actually know a few people who play that stuff. Needless to say, I see them VERY few times a year. If ever.

I don't think I even need to bring up the people who kill themselves over these kinda things. :p

16. peaz

Second life isn't a game... so you don't actually 'play' there. :)

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I know what it is... :p I know people who 'play' in it. IMO, anything thats a fantasy is playing. As the definition of 'play' is 'recreational activities'. If you 'play' on second life as something other than a 'recreational activity', then you got some serious issues.

But what I'm saying is that some people get engrossed in it. And it detracts them from REAL LIFE....

You said chance to make a better life? How so? Must be one of those "ooh I'm a dead beat loser in real life but hey, I am pretty successful in second life". Whoopie doo, life's purpose served.

Don't get me wrong, I know a few people who are engrossed into these type of things who still draw the line between life and fantasy. When it comes time to do the things that need doing, they do it. Albeit a smaller percentage but still there none the less. Then there are the more stereotypical people who have a hard time leaving the 'game' to even conduct a basic function such as eating let alone coming out when you come to visit them.

In fact, it leads me to wonder. Do you 'play' there too? :p

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  18. peaz

Nope.. I've an account but never entered into it yet. hahaha. Just couldn't find the time to. Might eventually do so to setup a real business there.... Hmmm. Maybe TechARP should setup a presence there.... 1st tech site to do so? Sell our 'tech' capabilities there? LOL!