Tech Myths B.U.S.T.E.D.!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Even Dell is feeling the pressure of putting real values, now they are trying to put in meaningless specs in their website...

2. WillyWanker

WillyWanker Newbie

OMG there are soooo many of these out there. Having written a tech Q&A newspaper column for a number of years I have gotten more than my fair share of these misconception questions.

But I have to add one aside -- the myth that formatting your hard drive will kill it has some basis in fact. In the old days of MFM and RLL encoded drives you would routinely need to do what was called a "low-level format" in order to repair a drive that had formatting issues.

IDE drives came later, and didn't need to ever be low-level formatted. In fact, doing so would often irreparably corrupt the drive and leave it unusable. It's very possible that this myth is a holdover from this era.

EDIT:

Oops, I should have read the entire thread first. Someone beat me too it :)

3. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

As long as we are speaking of old MFM and RLL drives I know of some people who still think they need a head parking utility for their new hard drives.

4. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

perhaps it isn't exactly a myth, but definitely people are banging on 12ms, 8ms, 2ms and stuff to make people buy things when actually the effect can be very minimal. :)

i think it'll be good to have some light shed on this area.

5. Chai

Yup, I agree with you on this. This topic has been debated up down left right in various other forums.

The best way is to see it for yourself. So far, I haven't really heard of anyone complaining about the ghosting on LCD.

Color reproduction and accuracy is a more serious issue. I've already heard so many people complaining about their pictures on their notebook LCD, and when they come over to my office LCD, they were shocked at the difference, and I thought my office LCD was crap compared to my Dell... :haha:

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

The ms rating is quite meaningless since every manufacturer has their own method to measure it.

maybe I'm wrong?

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, there's gray to gray. black to black.

8. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

9. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Don't think you can with just that info, however on coolermasters website they have a picture of the output spec label Link. Using that it looks like 12V1 is 144 watts with a peak of 216 watts and 12V2 is 120 watts with a peak of 192 watts.

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hmm... now that's hard. But thanks. Problem is I can't just choose the PSU I want and go to any shop and get it. Coz most of the shops here don't have most of the good ones. :(

And if I want to get the output specs, I have to ask them to open it up... :think:

Anyway, thanks. :D

11. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Well sometimes they will list the output specs somewhere on the box. :D

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

No harm in asking the shop to have a looksie... :D

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Bought a cooler master 430W... found out that another shop selling the same one for RM70 cheaper... :faint: So much for trying new shop. Sigh... next time must waste time a bit and look here and there... :wall: But the sun is soooo hot outside. :(

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

The guide has just been updated! :wave:

Join us today as we take a look at the most common and possibly the most stupid tech myths in the world, and BUST them!

Here are the updates:-
    [​IMG]

Link : Tech Myths B.U.S.T.E.D. Rev. 1.3!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  15. goldfries

unfortunately your menu list shows until #7.

i have to use the drop-down menu to find the newer ones.

16. Cyberwarrior

Cyberwarrior BOG Translator

Great article.Even for an old dog like me,I learned new tricks reading this stuff.:wave:

17. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hmm... cannot be. I think you must be real quick before I had the chance to put the extra pages up. Dang... that was like 2-3 mins. :faint:

Anyway, I just checked, looks good, so all's good. :D

18. goldfries

your post 11th Oct 2006 01:24 AM
    my post 11th Oct 2006 03:17 AM

the pages (contents) are there all the time. it just they're not part of the list. :) your list has only 7 articles.

the part i'm referring to is

Myths Busted!
    Here are our list of busted myths. Check them out!

No. Myth
    1. The More Processing Power A Sound Card Has, The Better It Sounds!
    2. Using Too Much Space Can Corrupt Your Hard Drive!
    3. Formatting Your Hard Drive Will Kill It!
    4. AMD Processors Are Hotter Than Intel Processors!
    5. Intel Processors Are More Stable Then AMD Processors!
    6. Power Supplies With More Wattage Consume More Power!
    7. If They Have The Same Wattage, They Have The Same Performance!!

EDITED : it's after the advertisment, but before price grabber.

only 7 listed.

just to make sure i wasn't hallucinating (or having cache) and i tested it on my linux box (which i've never used it to browse TechARP) and yup it's still there.

even the source code sez so. :)

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I always thought only Ni-Cd batteries suffer from memory effect... I didn't know Ni-MH is also the same. Now I know why my Energizer Ni-MH rechargeable degrade so fast :wall: :haha:

20. Chai

Yup, which is why I just bought a reconditioning charger for these stupid Ni-MH...