The ARP's New Toy Bragging Corner!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Chai, Apr 2, 2004.

1. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

DSG FTW! (being a DSG equipped car owner) :thumb: :beer:

New guitar! :)

2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard in Flame Maple Tobacco Burst! :thumb:

Attached Files:

2. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Weeks ago I got a C-compiler for 8-bit microcontrollers and got a free training board too. The compiler is good, the libraries are abundant (from the casual HD44780 to the GLCD, and simple hardware/software powered peripherals like SPI, I2C and CAN). Will post the picture of the huge training board next day.

The first picture shows a simple clock with a 8-bit microcontroller and with a RTC chip beside it (Real-Time Clock) which keeps the time even when I ripped out the power supply. Your computer's motherboard have the same thing, the CR2032 to keep the settings, time and other stuff. Pardon the weird temperature reading - it should read 27~29 degrees but something is freaky there, maybe the main supply batteries.

I designed the thing at only one weekend - the compiler simplifies most of the stuff especially the LCD operation.

Also, I intend to put an RSS feed reader on it if I manage to sync it with USB/Ethernet and display those on the LCD as well.

Meanwhile, 2nd picture is an ARM training board I got it free from NXP when I joined the contest. Again, my soldering skills sucked when comes to really small thru-hole pins, so some of them looked inconsistent.

Unfortunately, documents are a bit lacking here - I could get the LEDs to light up and stuff, but I'm still struggling to understand the Timer and its Interrupts inside. Some of the registers used inside are enigmatic and puzzling. Maybe I'm not really used to the 32-bit world, or I should read more of its datasheet first! :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

4. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

New toy! This one cost me too much in terms of licensing and effort, thus it's staying put for 12 months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

What kind of licensing issues? :D

6. The_YongGrand

That's one lean, mean and tough handgun you have here! :thumb:

7. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Upgrade! It's been more than 4 years :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

• 955.jpg
      955.jpg
      File size:
      64.4 KB
      Views:
  8. Adrian Wong

W00T!!! :thumb:

Be sure to give our x264 Benchmark 4.0 a whirl and let us know how your new rig performs! :D

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yet another car mod. APR by Carbonio Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake... :)

APR Audi B8 S4/S5 3.0 TFSI Carbonio Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake System

I've done a ECU tune, catback exhaust (downpipes and back), and an intake. Next up will be a supercharger pulley (and the accompanying new ECU reflash that will factor in the added boost and better "breathing")... :) The car sounds even more aggressive now... APR showed gains of 15 awhp and 11 awtq. It is a bit more eager when on the throttle.

Pardon the wind noise... Still trying to "combat" that... :( Not as "loud" as an open element CAI. But at least with this the hydro static filter still works. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  10. Adrian Wong

Very clean engine bay! :thumb:

How do you keep it so clean?

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Combination, air compressor, soft air brush, and microfiber towels (with cleaning solutions)... :) Way too many electronics now days on cars that I'd never use a hose...

12. The_YongGrand

That car is really futuristic! Are these running by hydrogen or gasoline? Pardon my ignorance - some cars are electric nowadays. :thumb:

13. Chai

Wow, the suspension mount is cambered so much!

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

No sir, I am a gear head through and through. Or what you guys call "petrol head". Hard to be one without gears/petrol in the engine right? ;)

It is a supercharged V6. The big aluminum thing sitting on top of the engine is a supercharger (1.32L capacity I believe). Specifically a "roots type" twin 4 lobed/screw supercharger.

TVS Roots-Type Superchargers

Yeah I was quite surprised too when I first popped the hood...

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

One more brag...

Ross-Tech HEX-CAN VAG COM cable... Now I can see all the stats that the ECU supports... :wicked:

HUNDREDS of sensors available. :)

A MUST own for any VAG car owner... ;)

(that and you can do software mods too - I unlocked a few features too like a lap timer and oil temperature - as well as an active gear indicator)

Ross-Tech: Home

Attached Files:

16. Chai

I have something to brag later... :wicked:

17. Adrian Wong

That's why.. I was wondering how do we keep such engine bays clean. :wall:

I've seen the guys at the car wash hose the engine bay though...

18. Chai

That's what I do, but I use very little water, and only sprayed on items which I can recognise. Or you can buy those sprayed on cleaning solutions for engine bay.

19. Adrian Wong

I have no idea what's the best way to clean the engine bay. I thought of letting those guys do it... but they seem to hose down the entire engine bay - won't that cause a short with the battery and electronics?? :think:

20. Chai

Engine bay is quite easy to clean, unless there's a lot of oil.