The ARP's New Toy Bragging Corner!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Chai, Apr 2, 2004.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Just got that phone yesterday. Nothing to brag about, it's a pretty simple smartphone with Windows Phone 8. I'd say this is a very good budget phone as well. :)

Attached Files:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Welcome to the world of smartphones! :thumb:

The only big problem with smartphones is their battery life. If you are surfing the Internet or using social media on 3G, expect to empty the battery in 6-8 hours.

3. The_YongGrand

Actually, I do have an Android smartphone, which is the Galaxy Ace. I gave it to my ma since her Xperia X8 is broken and I got myself a cheap one.

Needless to say, this Windows Phone 8 inside is really nice to use. However, the apps section are not too rich at this time. The tiles inside are very easy to navigate. :thumb:

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Latest toy... the Pi!

Attached Files:

5. The_YongGrand

Congrats! You get that one with the nice casing too. :thumb:

I had that for a while but didn't use it much. I saw a similar one which is the "BeagleBone Black". The "BeagleBone Black" has easier controls over the I/O, for example, toggling the pins won't tie the system down.

Edit: The I/O ports for the Pi has no isolations - so don't put a +5V over there or you would kill it. Only use +3.3V if you happen to play with the I/O ports.

6. peaz

Thanks for the tip! I'm looking to get the following case: Sweetbox II, the perfect case for your Raspberry Pi by Grasping hand — Kickstarter

I actually have no idea what I'll do with this yet. LOL! But looking to buy some sensors (temp/sound/proximity) and maybe build an alarm of some sort. :)

7. The_YongGrand

These casings look cool. Also, if you have can see RaspPi I/O shields on sale, make sure you get these, as they are isolated and protects people from cooking the Pi. If I'm not mistaken, you can get that GertBoard (created by Gert van Loo, one of the engineers who designed the Pi) from Element14.

If you need to interface the sensors to the Pi, you may need to read up on some more Python tutorials, especially on the I/O ports library. On this time of writing, the library has already improved.

For temperature sensors, you can start with an LM35 (celcius version) which outputs 10mV per celcius, and the analog to digital converter (ADC) which is Microchip MCP3008. Examples here. The complicated ones are DS1820 but you do not need the ADC chip, as you need to only communicate with the sensor by using One-Wire interface. The One-Wire interface library for Python can be found online and you do not need to write them again.

And also, get yourself some jumper wires and breadboard as well too. :)

8. peaz

9. Adrian Wong

10. peaz

Not quite a new 'toy' but i just had to.

Attached Files:

11. Adrian Wong

Seriously... I have a 10 mbps fibre connection and it's considered fast... I cannot imagine how much faster 200 mbps is!!! It's faster than most LAN connections! :thumb:

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Which is why you should be using 1Gbps LAN instead of a 20? year old 100Mbps... :haha:

13. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Yay new bag just arrived!

Some crappy handphone unboxing pics:

Attached Files:

14. Chai

Like what your signature said, Bagman returns! :haha:

15. Adrian Wong

Yeah, definitely using Gigabit LAN. But I notice that many institutions (my old college for one thing) are still using 100 Mbps LAN!

16. Chai

Well, there's no need for them to upgrade.

17. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

The bag is even sexier when combined bokelicious bokeh...
    [​IMG]

Side note: Just after I get this bag, ONA goes and releases an even sexier dark truffle leather version!! :wall:

18. Adrian Wong

Yeah, no need to upgrade. I still remember how fast it was to transfer files between the dorm rooms on that 100 mbps network. As we all know, we don't get close to 100 mbps on that network, and Ken is getting 200 mbps of Internet download speed!!! :thumb:

19. Adrian Wong

You mean this one? :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

How much did you pay for yours BTW?

20. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Yeah that's the one.

I paid about USD498.98 including shipping via FedEx International Express, plus RM168 import duty.