The ARP's New Toy Bragging Corner!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Chai, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Crap... yeah, there's import duty on bags... Forgot about that one. DYKT there's even import duty on FANS, of all things??? :wall:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The customs are very busy collecting money these days. There's no such thing as 'bribing' or 'begging' them now. Everything is fully taxed, and they always ask for invoice now so under declare the item is not going to help.

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

this is bad. so we dont have non-taxable goods anymore?

4. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I thought it has been the "general understanding" that if it's below RM500, they won't bother but above that, depends on your luck and their mood -- whatever the goods are, they can find a reason to tax you for it.

Either way, this is why nowadays I prefer to only use shipping companies with local customs brokerage service -- saves me the hassle of needing to deal with customs; I just need to pay the delivery guy when the goods arrive.

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

6. Chai

Local customs brokerage service? You mean like a courier service? Yeah, generally, items above RM500 are taxable.

But what items can you buy below RM500 these days...

7. Adrian Wong

They charge quite a lot for the service. I purchased some exhaust fans from the UK, got taxed about RM 160, and UPS charged me an additional RM 30 or so for the service of paying the tax in advanced. :wall:

8. Adrian Wong

Woah.. why so many SD cards? :D

PS. I wonder if they sell the CF adaptor here...

9. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

16GB Class 10 UHS-1 cards are pretty damn cheap these days, I've already got 2 Lexar cards because shops keep bundling them free with camera purchases.

And they're not all that fast either, most of them are only 200x speed (30MB/s).

10. Adrian Wong

I noticed that 16 GB SD cards are like the most popular size being sold. 32 GB SD cards are quite rare over here... Well, not rare, just a lot fewer selections.

11. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

MicroSD for my phone.

2 SD + CF Adapter for my 50D. 16GB SD was like $7 each.

12. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

OK, that's it. Enough new toys already... at least until Christmas. :lol:

[​IMG]

13. Chai

Unless you have a fast card reader, I doubt you will see 30MB/sec.

14. Chai

Bought a new toy for Hui Xin, but haven't taken a picture yet...

15. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

But it does matter on a camera with heavy data usage (fast burst rate, RAW, etc).

16. Chai

Only on the latest and fastest camera, you may get that sort of speed. The 30MB/sec rating is usually tested on fast card readers, not on the camera itself.

I bought a Sandisk Extreme Ducati rated at 45MB/sec, however, it will only achieve 28.9MB/s based on here. Even though D700 is capable of reaching 40MB/sec with the right CF card.

Rob Galbraith DPI: Nikon D700

17. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

NICE!

18. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Here's my new keyboard! Not sophisicated, but I could wash it if it's a bit dirty! Beats taking the keyboard apart to clean it!

Attached Files:

19. Adrian Wong

Oh, it's a waterproof keyboard??

20. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Logitech "Washable". Yes, it's washable. But it's not meant to be dunked entirely in the bucket of water. Only 3/4 of the keyboard. You can let the stream of water from the tap onto it without much problems too.

Crumbs from the food and bits of wires clipped out from doing electronic work into the keyboard are easily removed by just shaking the keyboard and let these things fall out. No more using my toothpick to dig them out. :thumb:

I have one gripe on the keyboard: the sound of the keypress reminisce me of a cheap keyboard made in the late 90s. Other than that, it's good. :)