The ARP's New Toy Bragging Corner!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Chai, Apr 2, 2004.

1. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Maturity of the app. I would expect it to be tied better on an andriod phone vs chrome on a windows environment. A lot of the chrome extension's features are still 'experimental'.

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Actually. I've been thinking of getting a larger 500GB SSD for my notebook and sell off my current 256GB Samsung 830.

Hmm.. But if I'm upgrading to a new MacBook soon, then i'll shelf this idea.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Don't talk to me about Amazon when you are in Singapore! :wall:

If you check International Shipping, they claim they will ship to Malaysia but that's only for Amazon.com. Their sellers won't deliver to Malaysia. :roll:

I tried purchasing a few things and got fed up by the number of times when it said the item cannot be shipped to Malaysia. Now, I check China-based websites like DHGate and AliExpress.

If I really cannot find anything I want there, then I will consider buying from Amazon and shipping it to a relative in Singapore.

AMAZON, Y U NO SHIP TO MALAYSIA??? :wall:

Attached Files:

4. Adrian Wong

If you are processing RAW files and you want Photoshop to use the RAM disk too (set it in Edit -> Preferences -> Performance), you need to create a much larger RAM disk than 2 GB.

Earlier, I set the RAM disk to 2 GB, which was okay to edit a few pictures but it ran out of space once I applied more than a few effects, so I just increased it to 3 GB.

5. Adrian Wong

Do you notice any WiFi connectivity or latency issues with videos? :think:

6. Adrian Wong

Are you waiting for the Haswell-based MacBook Pro?

Why not just buy the MacBook Air 13" with 8 GB of RAM and 512 GB SSD? :mrgreen:

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Maybe he wants one with Retina display :mrgreen:

8. Adrian Wong

Ahhhh... SUPREME LICHness!!! :haha: :thumb:

9. peaz

I need at 16GB RAM machine… :p

10. peaz

BTW, I'm going to order some stuff from Amazon. Let me know if anyone wants anything since I'm probably able to get the shipping to be free. But note that the exchange rate may not be too pretty for you since I'll be charging to my SG credit card. :p

11. Adrian Wong

MacOS needs less memory, so you are doing a lot of VM? :D

On the PC, now that I'm on 16 GB, I cannot go back to 8 GB... LOL!

12. Adrian Wong

Really? Usually the exchange rate is better for credit cards, right?

Anyway, I'm looking for 4GB x 2 RAM upgrade for the old MacBook Pro. But it looks like RAM prices have gone up quite a bit.

As it so happens, PC Fair is on now, but I'll be busy this weekend, so I will wait for IT Fair at the end of the month at Mid Valley, and see if I can snag some cheap RAM.

13. peaz

Yup. I've VMs that needs at least 12GB Ram to run. Server stuff. So yea. Been wanting a 16GB machine for a long time now. Having it Retina-thin and light will be nice, but if I'm in a budget fix, I'd just go back to non-retina 13" MBP and upgrade-giler. Only downside is the rather low-res screen.

14. peaz

Huh? Amazon just charges my card in USD. CC will convert it to SGD. usually crap rates. And plus the fact that MYR is basically crap now vs SGD… so yea. You get my drift :)

As for the RAM upgrade. Which year's MBP? Can't be as expensive as my RM800 for 2x4GB when I get it in late 2010 right?

15. Adrian Wong

The problem is the new Macs are not upgradeable anymore AFAIK, with their RAM chips soldered onto the board. Besides, they are using DDR3LP, which are pretty much impossible to come by in the market.

16. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the MYR rate is truly crappy these days. But from what I have seen, I can get better rates paying the local rate (USD / SGD / AUD) using a credit card, than using converted cash. But maybe it's because the demand for those currencies have gone up so much compared to MYR.

Mid-2010 MBP. I'm getting estimates of about RM 400+ for 4 GB x 2. Not as expensive as your upgrade two years ago, but still pricey, compared to the RM 400 I paid for 8 GB x 2!

Of course, even though they can estimate for me, they don't have stock of Mac-compatible RAM. I will have to pre-order them - which means going to pay them upfront and waiting 2-3 days before going back to collect the RAM. That's why I'll be heading to IT Fair to see if I can snag some RAM on the spot.

BTW, I have two sets of 4 GB x 2 here but the MBP just refused to work with either sets. :wall:

17. peaz

Can check Amazon and see? Perhaps have a set that's reasonably priced. Mid-2010 MBP ah? Hmm the same as mine then. To be honest. Still really great if you have 8GB RAM and is using an SSD. Like it's never really aged. LOL.

As for the RAM being soldered for the newer Retinas. Well, I actually am for this direction. I'm a real believer of engineered systems. Allows for interesting design decisions to be made.

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

I use freight forwarder. it's funny cus commodity hardware are made in Asia, yet it can be so difficult to source over here. The only item you can easily find is... rack :wall: forget about microserver, backplate, sas controller, enterprise drives etc...

So amzn prime -> us address -> hk -> sg in 7-8 biz days. they never miss! :thumb: :thumb:

USD2.75 for 0.5KG :thumb:

Adrian: if you need shipping help you can use my acc (comgateway/borderlinx). USD/MYR 6mth future contract is currently at 3.5. more shit coming if helicopter ben decides to really taper on sept 18. faster buy now :p :p :p

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh custom SSD and soldered memory :thumb: :thumb: you are absolutely right! can I also add "in-house data caching algo" - aka Apple fusion drive? :mrgreen:

Michael Dell still believes that the only way to fix Dell's sales is by bringing it private :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

20. Adrian Wong

I'm checking Amazon and then going over to IT Fair to see if I can get it cheaper. Plus I can test them on the spot.

Yeah, once you upgrade it with an SSD, it's like a "reboot". Feels really fast. That's why instead of a new Haswell notebook, I'm going to upgrade Ivybridge notebook with an SSD.

Indeed, engineered systems allow for a lot more possibilities. A breath of fresh air actually. The only problem is if they limit your upgrade options, like 8 GB for the MacBook Air.