The ATI Radeon To ATI FireGL Mod Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Chai, Jun 18, 2004.

1. WS

WS Newbie

i try Driver Cleaner. no, not working. i got all FireGL panels i Desktop propierties, but no improovment in 3dsmax.
    btw, wonna know what means VPU in VGA. Does VPU menas that VGA is like workstation (FireGL) or what?

2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

VPU = Video Processing Unit :mrgreen:

Looks like you have to try using RivaTuner to patch the drivers and install it........ :roll:

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Sorry it's Visual Processing Unit :mrgreen:

4. WS

WS Newbie

:mad: i know, that it means VIDEO PROCESSING UNIT!!!
    i mean, what DOES IT DO!!!
    btw i flash my BIOS. patched the drivers but still no difference.

5. WS

WS Newbie

ok, maybe you can find mistake in my actions (R9800PRO)
    1. i flashed my BIOS with no error mesage.

2. i reboot and download latest FireGLX2 (fireglx1x2t2z1-win2kxp-79621.exe) tell me what driver version you used or where i can download it, pliz.

3. i install the drivers and they recognize that i got FireGL X2 (FGL 9800)

4. then i start to patch the drivers. btw, "open patch script" button i saw only Riva Tuner 2.0 RC14.3. i try higher versions and didn't find this button. i had some differens in patching - some of them patch seccesfull some not. i mean, where you say that should be ok, i was getin' error. as i can remember, was one differences.

5. i install patched FGL MAX drivers, and after that FGL ControlPanel. btw, i install C.P. in my util dir. im sayin' it becouse later i didn't find "Fire GL Control Panel" dir. in "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies". i had only "ATI C.P."

6. i was patchig files in "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\Fire GL 3D Studio Max" and "ATI C.P." in my util dir. was getin' some differnce also - one or two, can't remember.

7. i reboot my pc, and see no difference.

I guess thats it.
    sorry for bad english, i speak russian beter :)

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

plz delete this, double posting :lol:

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I'm using the same driver too. Looks like the FireGL panels are not installed successfully :mrgreen: Are you sure you already installed the FireGL panels manually? :roll: I don't have any problems installing the patched FireGL drivers and panels :think:

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

ROTFL! No need to get so excited. :roll:

Max_87 answered the question as you posted it. :mrgreen:

Well, the VPU does what it says - it processes graphics. It's like the CPU for graphics, both 2D and 3D. ;)

9. sevenredseven

sevenredseven Newbie

Hi!

Anyone tried this?

1. Write the BIOS from the Radeon 9x00 to a file.

2. Change the Device ID in this file with RaBiT 1.3 from Radeon 9x00 to FireGL.

3. Write the file with the new Device ID back into the Radeon 9x00.

Greetings!

10. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Why not just flash a FireGL BIOS into the Radeon? :whistle:

11. sevenredseven

sevenredseven Newbie

Oh. So even when changing the Device ID in BIOS I have to patch the driver. Ok.

12. Adrian Wong

Yup! You will still need to use a patched driver. :mrgreen:

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

It won't work ;)

14. sevenredseven

sevenredseven Newbie

success!
    ati radeon 9800 xt 256 mb to ati firegl x2 256t.
    how I did it.
    1. don't flash the bios.
    2. I started without a previous install of any ati driver.
    3. download, install, run once and exit rivatuner.
    4. download and install 7zip. it's free.
    5. download but don't install fireglx1x2t2z1-win2kxp-7.98.5.exe
    6. extract fireglx1x2t2z1-win2kxp-7.98.5.exe with 7zip.
    7. read the adrian's rojak pot guide and patch the files from fireglx1x2t2z1-win2kxp-7.98.5.exe with rivatuner.
    thats it. it worked for me. without flashing the bios. although I don't need firegl at all. ;)

15. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I did mentioned about this in the guide.

If the patch works, you don't need the bios flash ;)

16. Help a newb out?

I have 2 9800 Pro 256 mb cards. One is the Radeon 9800 Pro with R360 core, 8x32MB DDR memory while the other is the Radeon 9800 Pro with R360 core, 16x16MB DDR memory.

2nd and 3rd pics of 256 mb versions for clarification:
    http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=5

I'm hoping to mod one to a 9800 XT and then use Rivatuner to turn the card into a FireGL (wasn't sure which thread to post in, but I chose this one).

At the risk of bringing up some old subjects, here are my questions:

1). Is there any difference between the two or is just luck of the draw?

2). Which one BIOS modded to a 9800 XT easier?

3). Which one, generally, overclocks better?

3). Which one modded to a FireGL easier?

Obviously, question 2, 3 and 4 will be null if the answer to 1 is "no." I also tend to test out question 3 on my own with Atitool.

Thanks in advance.

17. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Why do you want to turn it into the 9800XT first since you already wanted to turn it into the FireGL? :mrgreen:

1. Er....what difference?
    2. Both would be the same :mrgreen: The thing is whether or not you could mod it to the 9800XT.
    3. Which card overclocks better? Only you could find out this :mrgreen: Try overclock both of them ;)
    4. Both would be the same :mrgreen: The thing is whether or not you could mod it to the FireGL.

Hope that helps you some :mrgreen:

18. Adrian Wong

Why would you even want to mod it into a 9800XT before modding into a FireGL? :shock:

You can straightaway mod the Radeon 9800 Pro into a FireGL X2-256t. Check this page - http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=105&pgno=7. Just look for this section - Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB (380/350) To FireGL X2-256 (380/350) / FireGL X2-256t (412/365).

19. how do you uninstall the FreeFireGL Drivers?

20. Thanks!

First, I want to mod it to a 9800XT first as I will be triple booting. An install of XP for work, XP for games, and Gentoo for Linux. I was told that the 9800XT, clock for clock, is more efficient than a 9800 due to hardware optimizations in the core. I thought one needed XT drivers to "flesh" these out. If that isn't true (and the performance of these cards merely overclocked is the same as if I bios flashed it to a XT bios) then I'll just leave it.

1). I was wondering if the memory arrangement made one less capable to meet 9800XT/FireGL 256t speeds. I'm getting the idea that it doesn't matter.

2). Thanks

3). Yeah, I want to do a bit of empirical research to figure this one out. :mrgreen: Was just wondering if the 16X16 arrangement was known for being less/more friendly for overclocking.

4). Thanks.

So, basically, I'm asking if the hardware optimizations in the R360 core need XT drivers to be utilized for games or whether the Pro drivers will also flesh 'em out. Again, thanks for your responses.

Does the driver cleaner app not work?

p.s.

:haha: I just realized that I can't count in my original post.