The Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Adrian Wong, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Too good until the alu outer case causes GPS and wifi issue on Transformer Prime. :haha:

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Just read about this issue. LOL. I wonder if the engineers ever really tested all the features of the tablet before releasing it out to the public. I mean, the GPS issues sounds like a really obvious problem.

And they should also have known the problems with using aluminum as the casing. This is in fact the reason why we don't actually see much devices designed with an aluminum casing.

3. Chai

Erm...that includes almost all Apple devices? :lol:

But I don't really need GPS on a tablet, so I have no real issue with it.

4. peaz

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

True but even they are still facing problems. Users of the new iPad are claiming that they are having a lot of trouble connecting via WiFi.

6. Chai

Aluminium is never a good material to be on a mobile device, whether they have a workaround or not. Unfortunately, Apple has been setting trends for the consumer market, good and bad.

Don't forget the iPhone 4. They have been plagued by reception issues too. :mrgreen:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  7. Adrian Wong

Luckily they fixed the problem in the iPhone 4S! :thumb:

8. Chai

I'm trying to prevent this from turning into a fanboy flame war :mrgreen: , but the new iPad is now hitting headlines for Wifi issues too.

9. Adrian Wong

Yup! I just mentioned it above. That's why I'm staying away from the new iPad for now.

I tried it out BTW... it's nice but not nice enough for me to junk my old iPad and get this new iPad. Maybe the next version. :D

10. Chai

It's pretty ironic that what makes iPad so successful is the reason why new iPad is not appealing to existing users. The first one is already pretty good!

My only real complain is the weight. It's is really heavy!

11. peaz

Yup. sounds like some batch issues. I'll check my brother's new iPad when he gets over here and open it up himself.

Well, if your current gadget, whatever it may be, is good enough for you, there's no reason to upgrade anyway right? :D But I know a LOT of people who never had an iPad and wanting to get one now. In fact, almost 40% of the new iPad buyers are new owners anyway.

12. Adrian Wong

It's heavy? Well, my original iPad is definitely heavier and bulkier. Maybe its weight feels out of place with its relative slim build?

Yeah, the first one is still very good. The only thing is once you upgrade to iOS 5.x, it feels rather sluggish.

13. Adrian Wong

That's true. My mother just asked me to buy her one. LOL! Looks like I will have to ask someone to get it for her from Singapore!

Too bad it isn't coming to Malaysia so soon. It will definitely be cheaper over here.

14. Chai

After owning the Asus TP, I think it is much better in terms of form factor and weight (similar to iPad 2), but still a little too heavy IMO. Too bad there's no high end 7" tablet.

15. Adrian Wong

I spoke too soon. It's coming to Malaysia this Friday! :D

16. peaz

Yup. April 20th seems to be the date!