The Hot Flashing Guide Posted!!!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by peaz, Nov 15, 2003.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

You are all familiar with term 'flashing the BIOS', right? But what about hot flashing? Don't know? Don't worry! Today, we will explain what hot flashing is all about and show how you to do it! Come and check out the new Hot Flashing Guide from Adrian's Rojak Pot!

[​IMG]

Link - The Hot Flashing Guide!

2. vanisher

vanisher Newbie

Stop smoking that crack! Hotflashing a BIOS?!?!

Why would any sane person go through the hassle or risk the danger? The depths the zany will go...

:nuts:

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

if ur board is working fine, of course you don't need hot flashing :)

it's for those who has corrupted their BIOS :)

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL! :haha: We never said that everyone should hot flash. In fact, this is what I wrote in the Do I Really Need To Hot Flash? section :-

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i wonder whose motherboard was the guinea pig? .. LOL

modern motherboards including mine has a boot-block sector..

contain information for booting a floppy drive & an ISA graphic card.. :D..
    so a curropted bios will boot a floppy drive..

thats how i recovered my curropted bios.. :p

6. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Newbie

Very good guide for novices! I am no expert, but I do Flash PC and also auto BIOS chips (auto is converted to 29C256 ROM chips).

For lifting chips, a small thin cable-tie (plastic wire loom fastener used in electronics) under the chip is preferable to metal tweezers. If no cable-tie available, Nylon fish line can be used. With PC off, pull/pry chip out, insert cable tie or fish line, replace chip pushing lightly, then power up.

Works great!

Great guide! I have enjoyed all of Adrian's BIOS guides!

7. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

zy.....where 2 find isa vid card?????? :nuts: :nuts: :haha: :haha:
    welcome sonnyboy!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

8. zy

i'm not :nuts:
    i know where to find. hehe ... antiques...

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

zy: Sometimes even the boot block won't help, especially the NForce2 board...

sonnyboy: Thanks for the additional tips! :thumb:

10. naelq

naelq Newbie

hi there all,
    i know it had been a long time since this post, but, i have a DEAD EPoX 8RDA3, which it's BIOS had been corrupted as a result of power loss, while BIOS update!
    i pulled the BIOS from my NF7-S rev2 & put in the EPoX, but i always get the CF error code! which is according to the maunal:
    1.BIOS chip inserted
    incorrectly
    2. Incorrect BIOS update
    version
    3. Mainboard problem
    4 . Add-on card inserted
    incorrectly.

any help?!

11. zy

errr.. its not a good idea to swap BIOS on different motherboards...

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

It won't work :) trust me. I've tried before.
    IS7 BIOS CHIP on AI7.
    the board jsut refused to boot. you need identical BIOS.

13. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello naelq,

You cannot use another motherboard's BIOS to replace your EPoX motherboard's dead BIOS. Don't forget, the EPoX and ABIT boards are two totally different motherboards.

They may be based on the same chipset but they are certainly different motherboards with different circuit board designs and components. The likelihood of the ABIT BIOS working in the EPoX board is VERY, VERY unlikely.

What you can do is try hot flashing the dead EPoX BIOS chip. You should be able to restore it.

14. quick

quick Newbie

when you hot flash a chip, are you suppsed to take out all the extra hardware like hd etc. for the mb that you are using to hot flahs??

will the computer still boot? when are you suppsed to disconnect all that

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

it's advisable to do that :D

16. Chai

Yes, remove all the non-essential parts like HDD, sound card, network part. Of course you will still need processor, graphics card and a floppy drive to flash the BIOS.

17. quick

quick Newbie

i'm having a little trouble doing it. For some reason it says that the bios are incompatible or something like they don't match. Its probably becuase the mobo ii'm using is a max3 and the messed up bios chip is from a nf7-s. Anyways, it won't let me flash. Is there a way to force it to flash? here's teh command i put in awdflash nf7d_21.bin /cc /py /sn /cd /cp /cks /R. I got it off the abit site. I think that one of those, probably /cks, makes the bioses or soemthing match up but i'm not sure. Any advise on how to force flash it?

second thing is, i tried only /cc /py /cd /cp and it worked, but then it asked me to save the bios and I clicked yes then it started saving it and then it sayed there is no more room on disk or data is corrupt? do i have to save it to continue to flash? one time when i hit no, dont' save it went to the screen where it said that the bioses do not match up and then it wouldn't let me flash it.

wierd.

someone please help. thanks.

18. Chai

You can't use a different motherboard to hot flash! It must be identical boards!

19. quick

quick Newbie

you sure? someone told me there is a way to hot flash the boards by forcing it.

20. zy

its possible...
    but i'm not sure how to do it..

but its not advisable to use a different board