The Hot Flashing Guide Posted!!!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by peaz, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Hmm...your friend could be right. I've never actually done hot flashing. :D But there should be a command to 'blind' flash.

2. Special ED

Special ED Newbie

Hot Flashing

Well let me start by syaing "Hello" and that this is my first post here,anyways, I have done the hot flash and with different mainboards too.
    I have an Emachines (don't laugh, I have been really surprised by this box and the times I've called Tech support they have always picked up before the phone rang four times) with an ECS mainboard that I accidentally flashed with the wrong BIOS version.javascript:emoticon(':doh:') I started searching Google and came upon hot flashing, this happened just before this guide was posted so I could not use it as a reference, but most sites tell you it has to be the same motherboard but it does not. I came across a program called Uniflash that will "blind" flash a bios as long as the chip type is supported and mine wasjavascript:emoticon(':D'). I dug an old FIC PA-2013 motherboard out of the basement that had the same style of bios chip that I needed flashed, hooked up an old power supply, floppy drive, keyboard and monitor. All of this was not in a case but sitting on the fireplace hearth near my Emachine so I could have quick access if I was successful, I wish I would have taken pictures to show you what kind of ghetto setup this was. Anyways I finally passed the right parameters to uniflash and got my Emachines BIOS chip flashed with the correct version, put the chip back in and resurrected my computer.javascript:emoticon(':dance:')
    All in all it took about 6 hrs. of work from the time I flashed the wrong version till I got fixed, with breaks mixed in from complete frustration. javascript:emoticon(':wall:')
    I thought this might help a few people who are in the same situation as I was. There were several times I almost gave up but it bugged me so much I kept going back.
    http://www.uniflash.org/ This is the website for uniflash, and good luck.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Special ED, thanks for your tip! :clap: :thumb:

I will add it to the guide! :mrgreen:

4. Special ED

Special ED Newbie

Hey, no problem, glad I could help.

5. misacas

misacas Newbie

I have a corrupted MX 28F1000PPC-12C4 bios in an old TX board, that i would like to hot flash using a MVP3 board that has a bios with a similar look (Winbond W29EE011-15). It seems that the MX runs at 12v and the Winbond runs at 5v. Is the 12v chip going to be flashed correctly in the 5v socket? Any comments on this matter are welcomed.

6. Adrian Wong

You can't flash a 12V BIOS chip in a 5V socket. You must ensure they are both using the same voltage.

7. Hyas

Hyas Newbie

My little experience here

First excuse my English!

Second, thanks Adrian for this article. I was already aware about the hot swap technique, but your recent article is a very good "how to" summary.

Let me tell to your readers: this tricky tip to restore a dead BIOS works! Most vendors / repair shops will tell you "sorry but you must buy a new motherboard $$$". Well, if your are a little bit hardware oriented, answer them "go to hell!".

First I have tried it with a different motherboard: same BIOS socket, same voltage, but not the the same memory size. My dead BIOS was an AMI 4Mb Flash EEPROM, my good one was a 2Mb. Result of the test: negative. The update program would not flash the BIOS even with the command line parameter to force it.

Second try, with the same model of motherboard. Result: it works!!

My personal little trick here. Since I have no suitable tool to remove this kind of chip (the 28 pin PLCC type; this is, in my opinion, the easiest type to manipulate since you cannot break or torn a pin), I have to use a small flat screwdriver to pull it out, which is not a good idea with the power on. To play safe, I proceed this way. I remove the chip with the power off. Then I replace it in its socket, but I insert a small nylon line under (same nylon wire to go fishing), in a way to be able to pull it to remove the chip safely with power on.

Well, that's it! Not for the faint of hearth for sure, but after all, it is also a good reason to name this the "hot" swap technique!

8. Adrian Wong

Thanks, Hyas! :mrgreen:

Haha! Yup! I was also thinking of using some kind of wire or string.

I think one of those thin insulated wires should do the trick. But at the time, I could not find any spare wires around. But maybe I should add it to the guide. :thumb:

9. slash

slash Newbie

ah
    my nf7s died i think. after flashing the bios to merlin's 25-d, it wont boot up.
    can i hot flash using a nf7v1.0 ? im currently using this board while the nf7s-v2 is sent for rma. but after waiting for 3 weeks, and still no news frm robyncom, i think i shall try out hotflashing.
    btw, dead bios still can rma? or violated the warrenty already?

10. Adrian Wong

Yes, you can. In fact, you can use any motherboard that supports the same BIOS chip type.

Yes, you can RMA motherboards with dead BIOS.

Officially, since you flashed it with an unofficial BIOS update, that should void your warranty. However, I don't think they will actually pursue the matter.

But Robyncom is certainly taking a long time to RMA your board! :think:

11. slash

slash Newbie

anyone wanna do it for me? hehe

12. Adrian Wong

LOL! It's not that difficult.

Just follow the guide. :thumb:

13. slash

slash Newbie

why is it that for motherboard rma, you do not get your original board back?
    argh.... mine was bought this year july only... now i got back a mobo that has a sticker saying june this year, and the connectors are a bit oxidized.

14. Adrian Wong

Well, they do not guarantee you a new board when you RMA. And it's almost guaranteed you won't get your original board.

The minute they receive your board and certify it's dead, they immediately ship you a replacement board. It can be a new board or a refurbished one.

If you want to wait for your original board, well, they will probably take a few weeks or more to clear the backlog and finally get down to your board. :mrgreen:

But this is getting out of topic. This thread is about Hot Flashing. ;)

15. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Hm, The Hot Flashing Guide...I actually thought it was about something else :oops: :p

16. fairx

fairx Newbie

Hi guys..

I was wondering how to restore my old mvp3 socket7 board with corrupted bios (a year ago) and stumble upon this forum. I've read many hot flash guide b4, but I register just for the sake of posting this question (perhaps I missed something b4):

Can I put a working bios to replace my dead board but from a diff board and flashing it (rewrite) wif the correct one?

ie:

I got PC partner mvp3 board with dead bios.

I go get other bios from deserted boards, perhaps something in the line with mvp3 / mvp4 from say.. from tyan or something..

Boot the board with the working (but diff bios) and do the flashing.

The real question is:

1. Can the board safely booted with the new diff bios just to get the floppy and vga working? Will there any bios conflict with the board circuitry?

2. If the answer is YES, can I safely flash the bios with the correct original / downloaded bios? (the case is that Pc Partner issued 2 diff bios for my board 1mbit and 2 mbit size. mine is syncmos 2 mbit ic size)

the problem is that I dont have any other working board. my current board (asus) use diff bios socket.

and the last thing is.. anyone out still have (old/unused)bios for Pc Partner Via mvp3 socket 7 board? please help me...

Thanks in advance for your help.

17. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Unfortunately, you can't :)
    sorry :D

[​IMG]

18. fairx

fairx Newbie

then, how about bios from almost identical board with the same exact via chipset?

19. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

hmmm i dont think its possible .. :p

20. fairx

fairx Newbie

if I do that anyway, will it:

1. simply won't boot?
    or
    2. won't boot and additionally damage my board and proc?

thanks for the quick reply..!

ZuePhOk;> nice totoro s/s ;)