The Hot Flashing Guide Posted!!!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by peaz, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I don't think it will work, unless the board is identical, using the same chips.

But it's worth a try especially if you have no other recourse. :mrgreen:

If it fails, most likely it will not damage your board or processor. However, note the words "most likely".

There is still a chance it may damage your processor or other components if the BIOS you flash causes abnormally high voltages, etc. :think:

2. fairx

fairx Newbie

Thank you very much!

I've tried it and no luck...
    perhaps another bios

luckyly.. the board remain intact (I guess.. ) :pray:

3. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

If I ever screw my BIOS, I'll now know what guide to read! :cool:

4. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

wow, this is really a news to me. I have no idea that you can do that. I have always thought that its' extremely dangerious to touch inside the computer while it's running, think about the high voltage the system is using(not to mention the fact that the system could be completely burned). I can't believe that people are actually doing this.

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

its risky :) u might short circuit something if not careful .. like dropping a screw to pins.. :)

6. Adrian Wong

Actually it's not so bad. I have actually short-circuited my motherboard with a screw quite recently! :doh:

I screwed the motherboard to the case with a screw stuck underneath!! :doh:

It didn't kill the motherboard. The short-circuit protection kicked in and the motherboard just wouldn't boot.

So, it's not quite so dangerous as many people think. Just take proper precautions. ;)

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Water cooling applies too. :)

8. bmorgan98

bmorgan98 Newbie

Mr. Wong (or anyone)

Im in need of advice i have A abit av8 third eye which is a socket 939 board, the latest revision of the bios (1.5) support winchester 90nm athlon 64's, and of course this is what i have but i have discovered the av8 will not support the 90nm cpu's in revisions before 1.5 bios,

i may have to resort to hot flashing, is it possible to use and abit AN7 (nforce2, 400) to hot flash the av8, as i have read your hot flash guide, i wonder since both boards have 3.3v award 686 bios chips is a hot flash possible?

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

LOL! I'm facing the exact same problem as you! I'm trying to flash the outdated Asus A8V to the latest bios trying to get the Winchester support without success. Theoratically, you should be able to hotflash it. Try using Uniflash, it will detect the BIOS chip model name, normally with voltage info as well.

10. Adrian Wong

AFAIK, it's definitely possible. Give it a shot. No harm at all in trying. Good luck! :thumb:

11. bmorgan98

bmorgan98 Newbie

Thank You Mr. Wong you have given me hope. Much Appreciated :pray: :pray: :pray: :thumb:

12. Adrian Wong

No problem! Good luck! :thumb: