The PC Hardware Graveyard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Maximus_Detritus, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Hehe, just had a stupid thought. You know in those movies when someone is dying, they give him/her an electric shock to try and get the heart pumping again? Try that with your hard drive :haha: Take apart one of your Molex connectors and get ready if the drive stops spinning :haha:

Sorry. I just woke up. :nuts:

2. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

Boy do I have lots of broken hardware...for some reason many people think I am a convenient dumping ground for old/broken hardware, and I'm enough of a sucker to take it all in!

Here's just a brief tally:
    Hard disks
    1. Toshiba 4.3GB 2.5" lappy drive...damn thing fell down as I was moving some files into it. Can you say click of death?
    2. 13.6GB IBM Deskstar. Damn thing just quit and died one day about a month after I got it from IBM (was a replacement for a prior failed drive).
    3. Quantum Fireball 30AS...died right after I bought a DVD burner just to backup all my data off it. Convenient, eh?
    4-nnnn: Lotsa them...I have a 20MB Conner laptop drive from who knows when somewhere. Can't remember where I got it from... I also have a Seagate ST157A (first-gen ATA drive!! First hard disk I took apart that used a stepper motor instead of a voice coil to move the head...) collecting dust somewhere!

Motherboards:
    I have about a dozen busted ancient boards at home. I'll get round to throwing them out someday. Most of them died natural deaths (leaky NiCD CMOS batteries took out a few), but I do recall killing the VESA slot on one when I accidentally bumped out an IO card while the system was running. I have since stopped hotplugging components that were never designed to be hotplugged.

Drives (non-HDDs):
    A few floppy drives. I hate floppies. I managed to kill them in some interesting ways...one of them I accidentally put the power connector in offset by one pin. Bang, smoke and a dead PSU.
    A few CD-ROM drives. Let me state again how much I hated my 12X Wearnes/Philips drive. I have never heard a drive as noisy as that. The 32X Creative/Samsung that followed sucked too. They both died.

Processors:
    One dead Duron 700. I can't believe I chipped the core putting on a new heatsink. Oddly enough I lost the processor not long after I killed it. Can't figure out what happened to it. A couple of years after that I killed a Duron 1200 by frying it (dunno how it died, honest), but that might not count because I got it replaced under warranty.

Power supplies:
    Besides the aforementioned PSU that my floppy blew up :) I have a few more dead ones. I know at least one of them was cooked by Zeus, one more was cooked when I hooked up the power wires wrongly (AT supply with the mechanical switch...oops).

I am almost certain I've cooked more hardware than that, and I don't even want to begin cataloguing the junk I've got...I think I've got a couple of dead laptops somewhere and lots more of the usual small items - 2400bps modems, 5.25" floppy drives, etc. My junk pile is nothing compared to what my dad had though...he had a room full of Apple ][s, weird old-time consoles, and lots more 'interesting' stuff :).

3. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Haha that's a good one :haha:

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i gave it a knock ontop .. then tested with another PSU .. seems like .. it is running .. or maybe not ..
    but there is no clicks anymore.. :O ..

maybe it is dying .. :|

5. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

:think:
    Not a single dead one here .. and there's a huge pile of hardware. But I dunno what to do with it. :D

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

AAY aint touching the inards of my pc anymore... :hand:

7. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

aay u sound like the angel of death to hardware man...

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Abandon all hope, ye who see AAY. :shock:

9. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

It's not my fault that hardware just happens to die when I start fiddling :)

Besides, the last thing I killed was the Duron 1200 and that was like two years ago :p

10. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

hahahah what do u do to make it die should be a proper question then.....

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

You dont want to know... :nuts: :haha:

*locks my pc*

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I thought you need to run away, with your PC? :wicked:

13. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

dig dig dig :mrgreen:

RIP Samsung laptop hard drive. Crashed on Friday night and never recovered :|

Attached Files:

14. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i'm using that Hard Disk too :shifty:

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Woah.. I hope you didn't lose important data! :shock:

16. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Haha no that's why I can still smile about it :haha:
    My dad saves all his important stuff on a USB thumb drive...and we managed to boot up to export all the email addresses from Outlook. So everything's ok :whistle:

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

ROTFL!! That's good to know! :thumb:

18. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

lucky :thumb:

19. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

I had a 4200 v-card go south on me.

Thanks to a tip from a fellow ARP'er 'Mike' I got it RMA'ed for free! :D

20. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I have 3 broken CD-ROMs, 1 broken PC-CHIPS M598 m/b (and it's used for my soldering/desoldering practice field), a whole mess of broken Datamini 486 CPU (comes with the case and the I/O board as well)..... and lotsa cables! Heh heh... :D