The Perpetual Roti Canai Thread.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PY 222, Dec 8, 2002.

1. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Well guys, The Roti Canai Thread is back.

For those that were not with us during the older Infopop days of ARP, this thread was a bestseller (pun intended :D ). Here we talk about food of all sorts from all over the place.

As most people know, ARP is run by Malaysians and what else are in the Malaysian people's mind other than computers? FOOD! We, Malaysians think and eat food all the time, 24/7 for 52 weeks of the year. There are food stalls that are open 24 hours a day to cater to our insatiable demand for our local delicacies such as my favourite, ROTI CANAI.

For being away from my country for such a long time, this thread will bring me closer than I can ever will in the near future. Food is where the heart is.

So go ahead, make us all drool and wipe our keyboards because it is our innate nature to eat. :p

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Round 1: Penang Bak Kut Teh vs. Klang Bak Kut Teh!

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Round 2: Penang Char Kuey Teow vs. Kuala Lumpur Bak Kut Teh! :p

4. Chai

Definitely Penang Char Kuey Teow wins lah...

5. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

You know what, Penang food will win almost all the other hawker food in Malaysia except some noodles that I had in Ipoh some time way way back when I went there!

It was awesome and it looked like Penang's Wan Ton Mee but only the noodles were fatter and flatter! It had black sauce and there was chicken and the wanton of course...

Man, someone hand me a towel, I am drooooooling...

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hehe... I think it's called "Pan Mee". Handmade noodles, if I'm not mistaken. You can also get them in some parts of Penang and KL too.

If any of you are ever in Melaka, make sure you check out Loi's Beef Bak Kut Teh... IF you eat beef, that is. Although it may be the only beef bak kut teh I've tasted so far, it's really delicious! I'm a regular there. :)

7. Mayhem

Mayhem Newbie

bah... food can be different from places to places. a lot of ppl dont really notice this factor but like ipoh and penang, their food taste a lot better than those in kl, subang or klang bcoz of WATER. i dont know, some ppl said there's too much chlorine especially those in city compare to other places.

got time u come to raub, i'll take u to eat "yeh mei" (sorry... they dont serve endangered species though!)

8. Adrian Wong

I think you are right, Mayhem... I don't know why but Ipoh taufu is especially smooth and exquisite. Must be the water... :)

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Adrian, you haven't tasted Melaka's best Nyonya Cendol. :lol:

10. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Chendol? Brather Jeremy, have you heard of the Penang Road Chendol stall? It is always jam packed with people and most of them are not even Penangites!

That Chendol is just plain delicious and NO ONE can beat it. I had chendol in KL once and it tasted like dishwater... :roll: Obviously, I did not go back there anymore!

For those in the PG area, have you all heard of that chendol stall above?

11. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Aiks! There is a bit of a difference in the location you mentioned cause a friend of mine said it was in Burmah Road which actually crosses Penang Road. =) According to him, there are actually 2 stalls, one's the original 'Sifu' and the other is his 'Student'. :D

12. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Two stalls? Am I dreaming? When did this happenend?

I, for one, am a TRUE BLOOD Penangite and should know better if things like that happens on my home turf! But, alas, I have been away from home for far too long and maybe, just maybe I am losing my touch.

Well, if you say there are two stalls, I will believe. I am unable to confirm this nor deny it. :oops:

13. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Hmmm

1) Penang bak kut teh vs klang bak kut teh
    Well, for me, Pg one still rules. More 'medicine' taste and more 'phang' :D but i do agree that the portion of meat in PG B.K.T is a lot less compared to Klang's BUT in PG the soup is more tastier.... seriously. There's this "Good Master Bak Kut Teh" which is damn superb in my hometown. Jam Pack every day.

2) Penang Char Kuey Teow vs Anything else...
    Woi... need to fight meh??? No fight lah...

14. Adrian Wong

Still looking for it, Jeremy! :)

Where's this superb nonya cendol??

15. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Adrian? Which chendol stall are you talking about?

The Sifu or the Student? I am confused?

Better yet, don't go and eat chendol... go and eat some Fatty Loh Chicken Rice! Best chicken rice EVAR!

16. peaz

Fatty Loh chicken rice... nyam nyam... :D

ahbuthen... in BM also got some quite famous Chicken Rice... Did i tell you guys that a year ago, I saw this 'booth' selling Bukit Mertajam Chicken Rice???? Oh I was soooo suprised!!

Oh yeah, dun forget those 'Ais Kacang' too!!! always in my list for a good thirst quencher!

17. Chai

Stop! Stop! I can't take it anymore! :lol:

18. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

PY222: Well, I was supposed to look for the 'Master' but if its jam packed then I'll go look for the 'Student' in which case neither both cause I never found the place.

Swaton Lane: The best Ice Kacang and if you ask for additional 'ATAPCHI', it'll cost RM1.80. Also, you'll find 'Prawn Mee' there but the best part that it comes with 'Pork Rib Bones'
    Ayer Itam: Best 'Asam Laksa' albeit a smaller portion compare to other places and the fish are all smashed up into smaller pieces.

Managed to find Little India but was in the afternoon and I was told that if I hangout there around midnight, I'll be able to find the islands tastiest 'Nasi Kandar'. Also I was supposed to look for "Coffind Road" where the best 'Chicken Rice' is supposed to be but I couldn't find the coffins. :lol:

Adrian: You know where is Public Bank within the historical area? Its about 3 minutes walk from there. ;)

19. peaz

Ever heard of Jawi Laksa??? :D hehe It's bloody good too, at least they use to be. The last time i tried it.. not as much oomph as the last time...

20. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Jawi laksa? How does it taste like? Sweet, sour?

I think Jawi laksa is what we Penangite refer to as Asam Laksa. I could be wrong but it could be similar.

Talking about food is making me hungry and worst yet, I don't even have Maggie Mee to cook here.... arrggghhhhh. Time for another McD burger :cry: