The Pirated Software Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Viper007Bond, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think instead of demeaning everyone, we should give people more credit for their intelligence. ;)

Maybe I'm an optimist. But I have seen people learn to use P2P software within 5 minutes. So, I don't think it's that hard to learn. Try it. ;)

Laser quality prints on an inkjet at only 5 sen (USD 0.013)? You got to be kidding. :haha:

I AM saying that very thing. Software companies SHOULD offer software to students and retirees for FREE.

If it's not because of social obligations, then they should do it for their own good. Both to eradicate piracy as well as indirectly encouraging increased sales.

What I have done with my BIOS guide is not enough? Remember, unlike other people, I have backed my words with action. ;)

ROTFL! From which dark pit on Earth did you pick that philosophy out from? :haha:

IMHO, it sounds like you got screwed pretty badly. That's probably why you are so interested in screwing other people back! :wicked: :haha:

Seriously..

There are THOUSANDS of ways to make money. Some ways involve screwing people over. Other ways do not. I believe in NOT screwing people over just for money.

Of course, I'm not saying my way is the RIGHT way. You make the choices, you live with the consequences. ;)

Oh really? Then how come there ARE people who buy original software? Your general statement makes it sound like EVERYONE will buy pirated software if they have the choice.

Well, we had the choice to use pirated software for ARP but we did not. This example alone shows how flawed your theory is. :mrgreen:

I think not. I think the software industry needs a paradigm shift. It has been stuck in the old rut of thinking in terms of profit per copy, instead of overall profit.

If Microsoft drops the price of Windows XP, it won't take them five years to see the benefits. ;)

That's not true at all. In industries that have heavy competition, companies have to price accordingly. If they price too high, they lose sales to other companies. That keeps the prices low.

On the other hand, in an industry with less competition, like our telecommunications industry for example, a single company can monopolize the ENTIRE industry. Look at our Telekom Malaysia. Everything goes through them.

As a monopoly, they don't have to worry about competition. They can charge as much as they want. Therefore, it is a world of difference from an industry with a lot of competition.

The opinion that you have to pay what we ask you to pay, is frankly, nothing short of pure arrogance. But one that's no doubt well suited to the philosophy of screwing people over to make money. ;)

But guess what, nature favours equilibrium. People find ways to adapt / force a change. Piracy is a result of such a situation in the software industry.

Unless the software industry change the way they think.. piracy will always be rampant.

Yes, but an opinion based on facts and common sense. ;)

That may be because you think that people do not have the moral fibre to make the right judgement. Try not to think so harshly of your fellow human beings. ;)

IMHO, until you try that method out, you will never know. It's very easy to say, "I personally think" but it's a totally different thing to actually do it and then comment. :think:

I will have to check my contract but if I'm not mistaken, Prentice-Hall actually does something like that. One thing's for sure, academic institutions are getting massive discounts on my book as well as other books.

BTW, please don't say people don't give software away for free. We have already stated many times that even Microsoft is giving their software away for free.

Err.. So far, all the litigation exercises have done little to improve the situation. And they cost software companies so much in litigation fees. That's a net loss.

As for my suggestion, until software companies try it out, you never know, would you? All you can do is say, "I don't think it will work.". :mrgreen:

If software companies are kiasu (afraid to lose), then there is nothing more to be said. The situation will continue as it is.

Without a shift in their thinking, there can be no solution to this problem.

2. wodenus

wodenus Banned

WEll.. he keeps repeating what is essentially the same point, so I did too. :) You said it yourself.. if original software was cheaper, you'd buy the original. There is no way the original software is gonna be cheaper than the pirated version. :)

It's not a question of people having problems cracking the software. The original point was that you'd need to pay for security and maintenance if you had an online download site, because if not these things might happen.

I wouldn't call piracy in Malaysia "extremely rampant." It's lower than a whole lot of countries :)

3. Adrian Wong

Do you think a company like Microsoft will allow a developer to use his personal copy, instead of an official copy? :confused:

BTW, I personally don't think even Microsoft will allow you to install your personal software in a company computer.

Besides, if you actually buy SoundForge, would you install it in a company computer?? :whistle:

4. Adrian Wong

Err... Did you actually read what Chai wrote? :confused:

He said, if original software was CHEAPER, he would buy original software. He did not say he would buy original software only if it was cheaper THAN pirated software. :mrgreen:

That is a sentiment that many people have about the price of software. Whether it's true or not that software is too expensive for the effort companies put into it is not the issue. It doesn't really matter. What matters is the consumer's opinion.

Everyone has a cut-off point for buying what they want. They look at the product and make their own judgement if it's worth buying. If it's way too expensive, they can either choose an alternate product or resort to pirated products.

So, by setting the price point, software companies essentially decide the amount of piracy. Like it or not, it's a fact. If software companies refuse to acknowledge that, then they will never be able to fight piracy conclusively.

BTW, piracy in Malaysia is not that rampant? LOL!! Seriously, do you actually believe that? :haha:

Maybe you should tell BSA or SPA. See what they tell you in response. :haha:

5. wodenus

wodenus Banned

I'm not demeaning anyone, I was stating a fact.

That's what the catalog says.. want to see it ? :) it's a laser printer btw :)

The book and the website are two different things :) lots of software publishers already do better than that, offer whole (but somewhat crippled) versions of software for free, and sell supersets :)

You're selling something for more than it cost you, right ? isn't that screwing people over ? :)

A small percentage do the right thing. A larger percentage are afraid of prosecution. I'd wager most people would buy original software only if it was cheaper than the pirated version (which it will never be.)

Well.. using pirated software for something that's always online is a little risky :) and you're in the minority anyway.

That's only a conjecture :)

Not all industries have heavy or effective competition. And it's not as if Windows doesn't have competition. It's just that they're the best at what the do (humanizing the OS for x86.) No one's stopping anyone from competing with them. It's really not their fault that they have little competition :)

I still don't get this part. If as you say everything goes through them, how do other companies even survive ? :)

They are not a monopoly. A monopoly implies exclusive ownership of a market. They don't have that.

Oh really ? ever tried to tell a shopkeeper that you're paying what you want to pay ? :)

Piracy is a result of people being greedy. You can't say that book piracy is because people find books too expensive. They copy stuff because they can :)

Blah.. how do you explain book piracy then ? or video piracy ? or just about any piracy ? :) some of the stuff they copy isn't exactly expensive :)

Don't see that many facts :) actually this whole argument is pretty short on facts :)

I suppose you'd say that, as a med student. But blah, if you ask me, most people would copy stuff if it was easy to do :)

I think people are already getting massive discounts on Windows XP. They could have sold it for a lot more but they've effectively discounted the price. I think it's a pretty fair price.

Not if it succeeds in getting the message across. Are you saying that prosecuting someone for a crime does little to reduce crime rates ?

Well that's cos I think the price is quite fair now.

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Nope. (this is off topic) Its a mutual understanding between purchaser and spender. If I wanted something, I would ask someone for their service (for example). I would then "use" that person to acheive my own means. But the thing is, I would repay that person with money and therefore compensate him for his troubles. Thats how it works. ;)

With 97% of the world using them? U think? :roll:
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/40481/40481.html
    http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressbox10.html

Nope. While that may apply to some people, to others, they just cant afford them. Think of some of the malaysians making bare minimum. The cost of software would be a considerable fraction of their monthly income. This is how piracy gets a strong foot hold in 3rd world countries. For students studying architecture and designing, and they come from not so well to do families. Do you think they can afford the software that they're using? Wouldn't it be better if companies gave them basic copies to learn with. When they work, the company that hires them will then get those software (hence, an investment.) So by saying that all people buy pirated software because they're greedy, that statement is self defeating. :shifty:

Some people aren't as privalaged as others, so they dont have the luxury of buying original software. Which brings me to my next point:

Some stuff arent that expensive. Book piracy (plagurism) goes on because the foreign text books are so expensive. My previous courses were on professional accounting and required books from the UK as well as the US. Books are VERY expensive. :hand: I was able to buy those books. But some of my friends weren't able to. They just cant afford it. :mrgreen:

I just gave some. :thumb:

I wouldn't be quick on putting him down. He has a great sense of conceptualism and he is one of the few people that I trully respect. Respect is earned, not given. :thumb: :arp:

Now that is an opinion...
    :lol:
    http://12.129.203.38/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=opinion&x=0&y=0

The ones above (that I gave) is called an assertion. ;)
    http://12.129.203.38/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=assertion

Now lets get back to topic. I know I stepped out myself, but that is for the things I felt needed answering. Stick to Software Piracy now. Not book piracy, not printing, and not SDLC.

Or else I'd probably use this thread to sharp my horns with... :twisted: :lol:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  7. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I'm just trying to prove the point that P2P networks are safe to use, and you have no evidence to prove otherwise. Don't try to stir anything else up.

Don't make sweeping assumptions if you don't have any evidence to back it up. Would you like to do an Internet survey and ask people their opinions? Whether they would buy the original software if it was cheaper? I'm certain you will find that a very significant percentage of them will. As Chai pointed out, there are the benefits of original software which will sway people's decisions, such as instruction manuals and tech support. Essentially you would also be appealing to the people who have a CONSCIENCE - those who buy pirated software knowing that it's wrong, but do so because the original is just too expensive. By lowering the price of original software, they will buy the original and have peace of mind knowing that their software is perfectly legal.

That's simply not true. Ordinarily, the customer ALWAYS comes first. Producers spend huge amounts of time and money studying consumer behaviour and then evaluating how much revenue they can earn at a specific price, and/or then look at their competition to see what kind of prices they are charging.
    Microsoft is the exception; they have a monopoly which allows them to pretty much do whatever they want (for the time being). Look at any other consumer product that you buy; if one particular brand was expensive, you would buy another brand that is cheaper. But in this case, there are no alternatives.

Also not true, and Adrian has explained it wonderfully. :thumb:

8. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

HAHAHAHA! The point is that if small-time developers charged high prices, nobody would buy their software! It's as simple as that (unless you absolutely need their software or it was developed specially for you).

Simply reporting it in the news doesn't make it effective. What they were trying to do was to scare people away from sharing MP3s via Kazaa, LimeWire, etc. Some people did get scared and stopped sharing/downloading MP3s for a while, but after that what did the users do? Switch to another P2P network, of course. And everything is almost back to normal now. Everything that you could have found on P2P before the lawsuits is still available for download today. That's undeniable evidence that what the RIAA did wasn't effective. And as someone who doesn't download MP3s, I don't think you are in any position to argue with me about this.

9. Adrian Wong

Err.. Facts? :confused:

The fact is P2P software is incredibly popular and easy to use. That's why there are so many people using it, from the very young to the very old.

If you want a stamp of guarantee on the ease of use and popularity of P2P software, try asking the RIAA. :haha:

Err.. Earlier you told me to use an inkjet, now it's a laser printer. :doh:

Okay, the laser printer prints at 5 sen a page. Each page cost 3 sen, for example. Let's add in the cost of electricity at 2 sen a page.

The BOG book has 368 pages. So the cost of printing the entire book in just black and white laser print, without cover, would be RM 36.80 (USD 9.68).

That is the absolute minimum cost of printing the BOG book yourself, with no binding or cover. And it doesn't include the cost of distributing the book to all over the world.

And let's say we give away 10,000 copies for free, the cost = RM 368,000 (USD 96,800). Is that your idea of almost for nothing? :nuts:

Err.. One minute you say that content is content and it doesn't matter how you deliver it, by book or online. Now, you are saying the opposite. Do make up your mind! :naughty: :mrgreen:

If what you said earlier is what you meant, then the book and the website are the same things. :naughty:

If software publishers do that, then kudos to them. I'm not saying that's the wrong way. At least, they give options to the consumer. Like WinRAR, for example. :clap:

But that's not the way Microsoft or other large software companies do things. At least not yet. They don't give away crippled/simpler versions of Microsoft Word, do they?

Nope. That's called making a living. :roll:

A small percentage? ROTFL! :haha:

Why don't we just throw everyone into jail first and weed out that small good percentage? :haha:

Your thinking, I'm sorry to say, is seriously flawed. Why?

If original software is cheaper than the pirated version, EVERYONE would buy original software, not most people. :haha:

Who in the right mind would buy the pirated version if the original version is cheaper? Illogical thinking, isn't it? :wicked:

Nah, I will not only wager that more people will buy original software if it's significantly cheaper, I would even GUARANTEE that. :mrgreen:

Err.. What has using pirated software for an online website got to do with anything?

How will Microsoft or other companies know? Think about it.

We can do whatever we want on our server. No one will know. Why should we support original software? Think about that.

Minority? That's generalizing. Show me the numbers that back up your opinions for once. ;)

If it's a conjecture, it's based on calculated analysis of the situation.

And like I said earlier, we cannot always calculate success in the amount of money generated in a certain period of time. There are other benefits that cannot be so readily gauged.

Most industry have effective competition. Only in situations like our telecommunications industry, our car industry or the software industry, do you see lack of viable competition.

Windows is the best at humanizing the OS for x86? Sorry, but I think that honour should go to the Macintosh. Windows is the only choice for most x86 users because we are all so used to it. Everyone uses it.

In situations where there is no effective competition, prices get inflated. It's only natural. Therefore, the company SHOULD balance profit against social obligations. If it doesn't, well, people find a way, won't they? ;)

Like it or not, the laws of physics apply even in this situation. Dominant companies can do what they like, but nothing can stop everyone else from pushing back until there is an equilibrium. :mrgreen:

Try asking Maxis or Celcom.

Telekom Malaysia is not a monopoly? What does Telekom Malaysia's exclusive ownership of the last mile and external communications imply? Free market? ROTFL! :haha:

Ask yourself then why no other companies seem to be able to acquire the license to provide the last mile access or communications to other countries.

You don't have to do that. You can just walk off or buy something else. That's the difference. ;)

Besides, the shopkeeper just sells goods. He doesn't make them or dictate the price level. And he has plenty of competition to ensure he doesn't inflate prices.

Piracy = greed? ROTFL! :haha:

If software pirates are greedy, then why do they distribute pirated copies of software for free? Even if you buy pirated CDs, why do they bother selling them for prices as low as RM 3 (USD 0.79) when they can sell them for 10X as much and still remain a LOT cheaper than original software? Is that really greed? :haha:

BTW, I have never heard of book piracy. What's that? :shifty:

Again, what's book piracy?? :confused:

Do you mean plagiarism? I think that's a totally different topic altogether. :think:

Video piracy? IMHO, the cost of video DVD/CDs are a sign of greed. Video studios have a choice of lowering prices to make videos more affordable but like the software industry, they refuse to compromise.

Look at the prices of video CDs versus DVDs. The price of manufacturing both is almost similar. The difference is probably a dollar or so at most. But the retail prices of DVDs are inflated beyond that of video CDs.

Would a well-adjusted human being not balk at the high price of DVDs? You can get an original video CD (two CDs) for RM 16.90 (USD 4.44) but an original DVD costs over RM 120 (USD 31.58). :snooty:

If the cost price of a single DVD is actually less than TWO CDs (in a video CD movie), why are they charging so much more? After all, in your own opinion, the content is the same. :mrgreen:

Actually, there are many facts. You just choose to ignore them, even those based on common sense. ;)

As a med student? What has me being a med student got to do with anything? :confused:

Most people will copy stuff it was easy to do so? Well, look at the online community. Bloody easy to copy stuff and call them your own. But MOST people still refrain from doing so. That's a FACT. ;)

Nope. OEMs ARE getting massive discounts on Windows XP. But not ordinary people buying Windows XP or other software.

Well, look at the numbers yourself. If it's a devious crime that everyone abhors, yes, prosecuting someone will get the message across.

But the problem is MOST people already think the current situation to be deplorable. And litigating people will only raise the public's ire towards "large, faceless corporations" with nothing but profit in their eyes.

That's why, when it comes to piracy, the pirates will always remain Robin Hoods to the people.. until and unless the software industry changes their mindset.

Oh really? Then software companies are doing a piss-poor job of informing consumers of just how much effort went into their software. ;)

Stop blaming the consumers. Software companies have a bad habit of just saying, "I spent XX million dollars on creating this software so you better pay me XXXXX dollars a copy or else".

Even someone will a little gray matter will ask the question, "How the heck did you come up with XX million dollars?" and "If I pay XXXXX dollars a copy and you sell XXXXX copies, why, wouldn't you get profits of 1000X more than your cost? Why, isn't that highway robbery?" ;)

10. wodenus

wodenus Banned

I'm close to giving up on this stupid forum software. I mean, I spent _two hours_ typing stuff.. and then it said I had to log in (even though I already did.) And then it said the thread was "invalid". Talk about waste of time. And for some stupid reason it jumps to the middle of the page every time I post something. And then when I try to scroll up it jumps back down again. And it is SLOW. And the c&p just doesn't work sometimes :p

And for some stupid reason, before the page loads, the text box jumps left and right :) and there's not edit or delete option in some sections. :)

If it wasn't for the nice people, I wouldn't be here. But this is sorely testing my patience :)

11. wodenus

wodenus Banned

This was originally a longer reply.. but I have no time now, so I'll hafta cut it short :p

If you want to know how dangerous download sites are, you can ask papercut :)

yea, yea.. big difference :)

You sure electricity costs two sen per page.. what do you base this on ? :)

Content is still content. Doesn't change the fact that the website and the book have mostly different content.

They tried once.. remember Microsoft Works ? didn't make a dent, so they stopped it. So don't say they haven't tried, they have. It didn't work.

That's right.. making a living by screwing people over. you're using advertising and marketing to create desire, and then filling that desire by selling the product. You're talking advantage of the fact that people lack information by selling it to them. You're capitalizing on their weaknesses. If that's not screwing people over, I don't know what is :)

Because there's this fair trial thing.

Not true. Some people would still buy pirated versions (especially if both were essentially the same) for whatever reasons (for instance if they wanted to support piracy.)

Not necessarily.. people do things for all sorts of reasons. There's nothing that says people have to be logical. Infact, humans can be very illogical at times :)

I can guarantee that too.. but the question is HOW MANY ? enough to offset the price drop ? I don't think so. MS tried with MS Works.. didn't work.

How sure are you that no one will know ? :)

As soon as you show me yours :)

It's still a conjecture.

How do you spend the other benefits then ? :) Even if it's a flop, if it makes a large amount of money, that can be used to create a better product. If it sells well and makes almost no money.. how would the company even survive ? :)

I see you've stopped using "monopoly" :) It's just as well. :) The lack of "viable" competition in the software industry (if indeed there is one) isn't anyone's fault.. it's not as if there are controls or anything.

Don't know what you're talking about. The Mac OS will NOT work on any x86 PC without emulation. And that is a fact. :)

Are you saying people will just take stuff if they think the price is too high ? doesn't that prove that people are just evil at heart ? companies exist to make money. I've not seen a company that exercises any sort of social obligation (except as a PR exercise.)

That's just a fancy way of saying "I don't know" isn't it ? :)

I still have no proof of this "exclusive ownership" thing. If they actually had this, Maxis, Time and Celcom would have been extinct a long time ago. :) doesn't Maxis do last-mile ?

You can do that with software as well. How is that different ?

He dictates the level in a way by setting his selling price. You're just assuming he has plenty of competition.

They do ? where ? :)

Yes that is. They make a HUGE profit from it.

Piracy = illegal duplication. Perpetrator does not normally claim ownership of duplicated article. For instance, if you photocopy a book, it's pirated. The original author credit ("by so and so") is still intact.

Plagiarism = illegal duplication. Credit is claimed or not acknowledged (For instance if you change the book's credit to "by (insert name here)". Or if you write a paper and not include your references. Or if you modify software just to change the "credit" lines.

I think prices are already fair. It's not as if anyone's being forced to buy the product. If you want the price to drop, then stop buying it.

That's because there's more content on the DVD than on the VCD.

That isn't necessarily the case. Lots of cheap original DVDs here in KL :)

Where did I say the content was the same ? :)

Actually, there are many facts. You just choose to ignore them, even those based on common sense. ;)

As a med student? What has me being a med student got to do with anything? :confused:

It's also a "fact" that most stuff on the net is not worth copying :)

OEMs are getting the huge super-massive discounts because they buy in volume. Ordinary people are just getting the plain-vanilla massive discounts because they don't buy as much.

Well.. what else do you want them to do ? they've already tried alternative editions.. that didn't work.Incidentally, I didn't see any numbers. :)

They tried. Didn't work.

This is true. People don't appreciate the humongous effort that goes into making good software. Gmae companies have realized that, and are now putting out "making of.." articles that give you an idea of the costs and effort involved.

Or else what ? you'll use something else ? how is that different from any other product ? no one's _forcing_ them to use any product.

Isn't that an exaggeration ? :) I hardly think they make 1000% profit :)

12. Adrian Wong

That's odd. How come I don't experience anything like that?? Anyone else with the same problem? :confused:

As for getting logged out, well, we set the cookie to only 1 hour. That's plenty of time for you to reply actually. :mrgreen:

FYI, this is the forum software used by all the big hardware sites. Like a lot of things in ARP, we do not scrimp on our community members. ;)

13. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

haha. so much discussion. do pirate stuff cos much damage to a company? if only 20%. its nothing. :mrgreen:

14. Adrian Wong

Err.. Why would I need to ask Papercut? I have downloaded plenty of stuff before. Never been hit by a virus or trojan.

Neither have my cousins or brothers (all avid downloaders) been hit by anything of this sort.

Like I said, if you have a little common sense, viruses and trojans won't be that big of a problem. But if one insists on being a Chicken Little, then nothing will convince the person that the sky isn't going to fall on our heads. ;)

It IS a big difference. :roll:

Inkjets cost a lot more to print each page. Please don't tell me you didn't know that. :wicked:

Consider that as the cost of running the printer as well as the cost of the printer divided by the number of pages.

Try doing your own calculations for once. ;)

Ahh.. content is still content. You said it.

So, what's your point? You are just circling around, rebutting for the sake of rebutting, with no point whatsoever. :roll: :naughty:

Oh, for God's sake, Microsoft Works is not a simplified version of Microsoft Word. I know they both start with the letter W but no, they are NOT the same. :hand:

Heck, the documents don't even use the same file format! :haha:

And BTW, they didn't give Works out for free. If you have to pay for something, why the heck would you want to pay for something that crippled? :nuts:

Woah.. Now, that's low, man.. :hand:

Maybe that's what you do, but that's not what I'm doing. So, please do not use the word "you" quite so liberally. :naughty: :mrgreen:

Unlike your business model, I have not only provided a book for people who can afford to purchase, I have also provided a free online version of the book for those who cannot afford. There is a CHOICE, if you still fail to notice.

In addition, I have fought contractually for the upcoming e-book version of the guide to be significantly cheaper than the printed book. If I wanted to screw people over, I wouldn't be giving them choices. :hand:

Agreed! For the same reason, BE FAIR to everyone. Do not judge them GUILTY just because you have such a low opinion of your fellow human beings. :naughty: :mrgreen:

And where did you get this "fact" from? LOL!! :haha:

I really don't know what to say. This is so funny! :haha:

Okay, let me put it in ANOTHER way. ;)

If people can buy original DVDs for less than pirated DVDs, you actually think people would still buy pirated DVDs because they want to support piracy? :nuts:

Yeah, I can tell. Based on this thread, I cannot disagree. ;)

MS Works? LOL! That's a laugh. MS Works is a lite-version of Word with a different file format, etc. and you want people to consider it as a cheaper version of Word? You gotta be kidding me. :roll:

And you are evidently not reading what I wrote. When I said, "Sell Windows XP and other applications at a lower price", I meant selling the SAME application as they are selling now but at a lower price.

Let me put it back to you. How sure are you that someone will know? :wicked:

Which, in other words, means you have nothing at all. What a shame.. I thought better of you. ;)

IF it is, at least it's a logical conjecture. ;)

Like I said, if you do not change your thinking from dollars and cents in a certain period of time, then you will never figure it out. Evidently, you cannot see beyond the profit per copy. ;)

If it's a flop and the company fails, it's the consumer's fault, is it? :roll:

Nope. It's still a monopoly. Because there is a lack of viable competition, it IS a monopoly. Not only I think so. The US Justice Department as well as EU thinks the same. :roll:

There are. One of them is called anti-trust and Microsoft has been fined a few times over this. If you want more info, do a little reading - http://www.antitrust.org/

Nope. That's what YOU are saying. ;)

No, it doesn't prove that people are just evil at heart. It proves we are not as stupid as you think we are. ;)

Nope. That's a discreet way of saying, please go read up on it yourself. Don't wait to be spoonfed. :wicked:

Again, go read up on it yourself. If we have all read up on it before commenting, why can't you? :wicked:

Like I said, most products have lots of competition. That keeps prices down.

Certain software also face viable competition. But not ALL. Some software have virtual monopoly in the market that their price is not dictated by market forces but how much the company wants to make.

That's the difference.

Nope. Open your eyes. Plenty of shops around. Want to buy hardware? Go to Low Yat Plaza. Look at the competition there. THAT'S competition.

Where else? Try the IRC channels or any P2P software. :roll:

And if they make a HUGE profit from selling CDs at RM 3, just how much will they make from original software, I wonder... ;)

If you say so. ;)

Evidently, most people don't think so. Otherwise, we wouldn't be discussing this, would we?

I think the first thing you have to admit is that people generally think that the price of certain software are grossly inflated.

So, deleted scenes and commentary are worth more than the actual movie.. I see. ;)

How cheap, pray tell me. ;)

Look at your own reply. I quoted you above too. You said, content is content.

But you will agree that SOME stuff are worth copying, right?

Then why isn't anyone copying them? :wicked:

Plain-vanilla discounts? LOL! Where? What discounts?

BTW, OEM discounted software is not limited to large OEMs. You can get OEM versions if you are a reseller. Yes, you can even buy a SINGLE OEM copy. So, you are NOT entirely correct in saying that.

So, the question is if they can provide discounts for resellers, why not for students and retirees? :think:

Alternative editions? They work if you give them away for free. Look at WinRAR. They gave a slightly crippled version away for free. And they are still alive and well today.

Really? How do you know? :wicked:

Or else? Oh, let's try Microsoft's method. We will just stop supporting the older version. How's that? :wicked:

Like you don't exaggerate? :wicked:

That's to illustrate TWO points.

1. If software companies can come up with arbitrary cost figures, so can consumers.

2. Instead of looking to profit as much from a single copy, it's actually more important to profit more overall.

15. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

1 trojan. O-N-E. One. In the entire time I've used the Internet, I have downloaded ONE trojan. Don't make such a big deal out of it, especially since you can't figure out how to use the forum properly and we were discussing P2P, not download sites. I would like to have a mature and sensible discussion with you here, but I don't take s**t lying down. If you take a swing at me, I'm going to give one right back to you.

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Honestly, I think there are WAY WAY more trojan from emails then downloading from P2Ps or websites.

17. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Fair enough. That's one more than yon little girl.

18. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Probably true.. but email trojans are sent to you. P2P and download websites are downloaded and run voluntarily. The volume of trojans in email is higher, but most of the email-borne trojans are stopped because they're not wanted and not run. If you download something from a P2P or download website, you're almost certain to run it. So I think the infection rate (percentage wise) is higher for trojans downloaded from P2P and download sites, although the actual volume may be lower.

19. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Right. So they charge what they can get away with, correct ? :)

Why would I have to download anything to be able to argue with someone ? how do you know everything is "back to normal" ?

20. Adrian Wong

Huh.. What kind of data did you base your assumption on? :confused:

Right now, all the hoo-haa over trojans and viruses are because of the spread via e-mail. That's what got many people infected, not via the P2P network.

How do you infect an MPEG file? Or an AVI file? :whistle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.