The Pirated Software Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Viper007Bond, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You probably didn't understood me again. All I'm saying is, MS is monopolying the OS market. Simple as that. I didn't say it was their fault. ;)

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I don't think so. ;)

So, you are a game designer? :wicked:

ROTFL! Well, as I was pointing out, it is a LOT easier to just reply with a question. Isn't it? :wicked:

3. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Plain email isn't executable.. it's just text. :) You don't actually GET trojans and viruses from email (except maybe with that dorky client) -- you get it from running attachments attached to the email. Email itself is pretty harmless.

As soon as you say "it's not impossible to download a trojan-infected file from a P2P client." :)

yeah.. back then they could infect boot sectors.. but they're pretty much restricted to executable files now. If you're careful and update regularly, you pretty much have to run something to get a trojan now. Back then you could get one simply by sticking a floppy into an infected PC.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  4. wodenus

wodenus Banned

No I'm not.. wish I was though (so I can complain about how much pirates are ruining my business :) )

Depends I guess :p

5. Adrian Wong

Err.. Didn't we agree not to continue like that? Sigh.. :roll:

6. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Okay. But I wish people would stop using the word "monopoly" -- MS is not really a monopoly. They are dominating the market, yes, but they are not monopolizing it.

7. wodenus

wodenus Banned

I thought you meant let's stop asking questions :) but okay I'll go back and change it :) actually I thought to defend my reputation as a "self-righteous self-trumpeting vainglorious insufferable I-pretend-I-know-it-all".. but nah.. I got what I came for. :)

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

9. Adrian Wong

Just stop replying questions with another question. That adds nothing to the discussion. ;)

10. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

No need for "Nah, not you again, go away!" :D, I just want to say this:

@Wodenus:
    Mate, don't take this discussion that serious.
    Like Adrian said before, this is all just theoretical, neither he nor me and not even you ;) would be able to change the way it is. It's not like you sitting up there high in the sky in front of some levers named:

I. - "Stop Piracy and meet up with Billy"
    II. - "Lower prices and feed the third world"
    III. - "Wanna have sex?"

Even then, you should pull number III and enjoy it. ;)

I'm personally not interested in piracy-discussions because I think they're meaningless anyway. Furthermore I don't care if M$ looses some bucks.
    Do whatever you want, there's nothing wrong about believing in your own opinions but I think there's no good enough reason to fight it out personally with others inside this community.

11. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Well CNN doesn't seem to think so. Otherwise the word "monopoly" wouldn't be in quotes. Also read the final judgment http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f200400/200457.htm --

"this Final Judgment does not constitute _any_ admission by _any_ party regarding _any_ issue of fact or law."

Just because you're charged with something doesn't mean you're automatically guilty.

12. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

And you don't actually get viruses/trojans just by running a P2P client, you (might) get one by downloading a file and opening it.

13. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

A lot depends on how you define a monopoly. What you've said there is true, but one can also look at it this way: if a company controls so much of the market share that it is able to change the situation single-handedly (eg. raise the prices), then that can also be considered a monopoly.

14. wodenus

wodenus Banned

No argument there. But why would you run a P2P client if you're not gonna download anything ? just for uploading stuff ?

15. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Well, I tend to go by dictionary defintions. Personally, I think a lot of people are indebted to MS, otherwise they'd have to use (until recently frighteningly expensive) Macs or open source OSes. MS has done for x86 what no one else has done -- humanize the PC. That is the reason why they're so popular.. because they're the best at what they do. That they are able to change the situation single-handedly is not exactly their fault. I don't think you can say they're a monopoly any more than you can say Ferrari monopolizes Formula 1. Or that Schumacher monopolizes all the other drivers. They have competitors.. but their competitors are simply not good enough. So I have to say I don't agree with their being called a 'monopoly'. But I can see why it happens.. "monopoly" is a sexy word.. like "crony". Publications use these words a lot, because they sound dynamic and make for interesting reading. In these modern times, flash and dynamism sells more than accuracy or substance. So to sell publications, writers sacrifice some accuracy to titillation and excitement. Which is why MS is called a "monopoly" a lot. Sounds a lot sexier than "de-facto standard." But I'm still old-school.. I believe in accuracy above all. So I can't agree with that definition at all. But you know, the future is Dan Brown -- all flash and no substance, never mind accuracy. Ten-minute sexy soundbites are what people want these days. News is entertainment now. I read that stuff a lot. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

16. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

That's what we called seeding.........for u to say this proves u have no idea how P2P is run. More to the point is if you are willing to download an executable file which u have no idea of and running it without a proper antivirus or anti-spyware programs running in background, u are no difference from people who open unsolicited email attachment, u deserved to be infected.

17. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Hmm.. some people on this forum have done exactly that. I'm not sure they agree with your assertion that they "deserved to be infected".

18. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Haha I'll just shut up and agree, actually. At that time I couldn't be bothered to use any firewalls or anti-virus software (I was going to re-format in a few weeks), so yes I DID deserve it...

19. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't think you should compare Ferrari with MS. Ferrari doesn't monopoly the sport. FIA does, they are the one making the rules, charging the competition entry fees etc! Ferrari is merely a competitor and they are extremely strong, at the moment that is. There are 9 other teams on the grid, and that's far from 'monopoly'. :) So you are right.

On the other hand, MS is the only one making OS for the masses, and please do not include open source OSes or any server grade OSes. It's like comparing Ferrari in F1, and Citroen in World Rally, there are completely 2 completely different sports. Please name me an OS that would run any DX games. ;)

20. wodenus

wodenus Banned

I don't see where you're coming from. MS is not the only one making an OS "for the masses". "the masses" can learn any OS they want. I don't see how something like RH (or Mac OS X) is that different from Windows. What do DX games have to do with anything ? they have a "monopoly" on DX, sure. They also have a "monopoly" on Windows. But they do not have a monopoly on the software or OS industry. As long as you have a choice (any choice) then there is no longer a monopoly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.