The Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 13, 2004.

1. gotensan01

gotensan01 Newbie

Sorry if this is a re-reply. I'm running windows xp and as far as I know xp doesn't support dos. So does this mean that I will have to install windows 98 as a dual boot option? Even if I did that how would I get into dos (sorry haven't used 98 for years)? Or is there a way to get into dos in xp.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

3. gotensan01

gotensan01 Newbie

oops, I did go through the process of making the disk and loading the bios and flashrom. I just didn't fully comprehend that you used that disk to boot into dos. I thought you had to get into dos before reading from the disk. Thanks!

4. Darealpunjab

Darealpunjab Newbie

Hi everyone,

i was wondering if someone could help me out in deciding weather i should purchase the 9800se or 9800pro.

Ok, so i wanted to know if i softmodded a 9800se to 9800pro, would that be moddable into a 9800xt if i cooled it enough? Because i know that in the guide, they said that certain 9800pro cards could not be modded into a 9800xt, so would it work if i modded 9800se to 9800pro and then to 9800xt?

And if it did, which bios would i need to download to turn it from my (softmodded)9800pro to 9800xt?

P.S. I would most likely buy the Powercolor 9800se 256bit, Model:R98SE-C3G (in case that makes a difference)

Thanx for any help in advance

5. substance

substance Newbie

Hey all, I think that this mod is really interesting and I can't wait to try it out, but I have a few questions -

Am I correct in believing that the Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB uses the 9800 XT PCB?

http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/invt/210160120&bklist=page,1

If it does, which version of the Artic Cooling VGA Silencer should I use, as Rev 3 apparently doesn't support up to the 9800 XT, but only up to the 9800 Pro - so mine would be classed as a 9800 Xt right, if it uses the XT PCB?

Thanks for your reply

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello Darealpunjab,

Please remember again that no one here has actually soft-modded a Radeon 9800 SE into a Radeon 9800XT. But it's certainly possible.

All you need for the Pro to XT mod is the R360 GPU. Please read the Radeon 9800 Pro to Radeon 9800XT mod guide. That has all been covered in the guide. :mrgreen:

As for the correct BIOS image, that depends on your memory chips. Again, all that has been covered in the Radeon 9800 Pro to Radeon 9800XT mod guide.

Once you have successfully modded your Radeon 9800 SE into a Radeon 9800 Pro, just consider it as a true Radeon 9800 Pro when it comes to selecting the right BIOS image. But again, check your memory chips. :mrgreen:

7. Adrian Wong

Hello substance,

The card in the PC World Component Centre looks like the old PCB design. Please check the guide for pictures of the new Radeon 9800 Pro cards that use the XT PCB. Those are the cards that you should get.

8. Chai

That picture is wrong. They took the same picture from the 128MB for the 256MB model... :roll:

9. xabre

xabre Newbie

I have 9800SE with R350. (it is moded to 9800 pro)
    Can I moded this card to XT with another bios for XT! (Also, I have good cooling of card)
    Thanks

Please help

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

No one has ever tried it yet... :mrgreen: Do tell us your results if you do try it. :thumb:

11. Chai

You can only mod it if you have a R360 core.

12. swatX

swatX Newbie

yo i got a r360 core with 16x16 (256 ram)mem chips just wondering is there a bios that will let me enable overdrive ? and is there a performence diffrence between flashed 2569800pro 8x32 and flashed 256 9800pro 16x16 ?

13. Adrian Wong

Hello swatX,

Chai already covered that in the guide. Please read the guide BEFORE asking us. Thanks! :mrgreen:

14. Chai

There isn't much performance difference even for both 128MB and 256MB unless the game starts utilising the extra memory.

15. BridgeBoy

BridgeBoy Newbie

FYI: I have a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (Built By ATI; bought at Circuit City about 4-months ago) that looks EXACTLY like the one shown in the guide that is known to be MODDABLE with the Samsung Memory. The Samsung memory even ends with -GC2A and the cooler is attached with black push-pins (both mentioned in teh guide as good signs for a R360 core); so I thought I was in luck. However, I decided to remove the cooler and check to be sure and unfortunately it had R350 printed on the core :(

So, like the guide said, you can't be sure unless you actually look at what is printed on the core. I am just glad I decided to check before just trying to mod it given the signs that it appeared to have a R360 core. I'm usually a risk taker like that; but this time I looked and saved myself the trouble.

16. Chai

Actually, we are aware of that. That's why we added this update in the article.

In the next update, we will remove the black push-pin tip completely to prevent confusion. Thanks for reminding us. ;)

17. BridgeBoy

BridgeBoy Newbie

Yes, I was aware that you were aware ;)

I had read that update; it was the main reason I neglected my usual risk-taking behavior of just assuming that I was going to get lucky and decided to eyeball my core. I just thought I'd add my experience to the thread as reinforcement.

I'm half tempted to go and buy another one at Circuit City and do a switch-a-roo if it has a R360 core....because when I originally bought mine 4-months ago at about $300 they dropped the price down significantly a few weeks later but did not honor their typical "price guarantee" things they usually give if the price drops within a certain period of time after the purchase. I'm not sure if my conscious will let me though.

18. Chai

Don't bother trying to get R360 core. You are not really losing out much. ;)

19. BridgeBoy

BridgeBoy Newbie

LOL. Too late! I was able to exchange mine for another a couple of hours ago; and this one does have the R360 core! I just got done mounting an extra fan in front of the cooler of the card (I just mounted an extra 5-inch case fan to two empty PCI slots....I'll uplaod a picture in awhile.)

So are you saying that this whole Guide to mod to a 9800 XT does not really net you as much peformance gain as everyone seems to think? I was hoping to get some FPS increases in DOOM 3; especially since it has so much shader activity. Or were you just implying it wasn't worth BUYING a new card just for this? Because I got lucky and was able to exchange it; so no extra money out of my pocket :D

20. Chai

LOL!

My main objective of this mod is turn the 256MB R9800 Pro with R360 core to a true XT with OVERDRIVE and temperature monitoring functionality. But the popularity of 128MB models are overwhelming, and everyone is trying to mod their 128MB to XT, which doesn't offers any significant advantages, I was kinda forced to cover the 128MB cards too.

Now there are some 128MB cards with XT PCB, that comes with temperature monitoring. Those cards are still worth modding, IMO. :mrgreen: