The Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Mr Tipper

Mr Tipper Newbie

i followed the guide and bios flashed my ati radeon 9800pro to the 9800xt (card is the xt in disguise) and then installed the catalyst driver which requires the .net install. Catalys control center reports my core to be 425Mhz and memory 378Mhz, overdrive is not checked. i then uninstalled and intalled the plain driver which adds the tabs to the advanced properties in display settings and there it reported 412Mhz and the defalut memory i forget. the i uninstalled and put the catalyst driver back on and the control center reads 425Mhz and 378Mhz again???? I have an original ati 9800xt bios

why is the control center not reading the correct clock speeds or why is it so high like its oc'd. I have a arctic cooler for the 9800pro/xt model on it too

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I have not tested CCC before. Try using RadLinker to check the speed.

3. Mr Tipper

Mr Tipper Newbie

i installed radlinker and it said that the clock was at 425mhz and the core at 378mhz then i clicked the use bios defaults and it set it back to 412mhz and 365mhz and now CCC is reporting the change too. i think there is something funky about the default for CCC anyone else tried the CCC (46mb) drivers off of ati's site?

chai what driver would you suggegt i use for the card and radlinker(this is a cool tool)

4. Mr Tipper

Mr Tipper Newbie

ok now when i restart my comp the core goes back to 425mhz and mem 378mhz any idea what is causing it to ramp to those clock speeds?

5. Chai

Which BIOS did you use? That's not the right clockspeed for XT BIOS.

I've been using all the drivers, I'm personally using the latest official Catalyst 4.9. You may want to try Omega drivers with more tweaking abilities.

To lock the clockspeed in Radlinker, click on Use Default after setting your clockspeed.

6. joneZr

joneZr Newbie

Hey guys,

Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong here...

I have a 128mb Radeon pro with Hynix memory and it says R360 on the core so I know I should be good to go.

However I dont have a floppy disk and so used winflash with both the GecubeR9800XT128MBHynixOverdrive.bin and Club3D.9800XT.128MB.Hynix.rom bios. After doing a full driver cleaning and reinstallation after the flash (I went with the Omega drivers on the second time) I was dismayed to find I only had a radeon pro listed under display.

Do I need to shorten the names of the bios files with the Winflash utility? I would like to try the dos flash utility but making a bootable CD seems rather daunting (no floppy drive). Maybe I can get a USB floppy but would that work right?

Anyway whatever help you could give would be appreciated my eyes are numb from reading almost this entire forum thread. Thanks

7. Chai

Please follow the guide properly. You can't just simply flash any BIOS onto your card. Choose the correct BIOS for your card. http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=92&pgno=16

If it's detected as Pro, which means you didn't flash the BIOS properly. Did you Load Image, then click on Program?

8. joneZr

joneZr Newbie

Yeah I hit program the screen blanks out for a few seconds then I reboot. It doesnt say whether or not the new bios is acceptable, just tells me "REBOOT NOW". Then once back into windows I do the whole driver cleaner routine even going into safe mode for the final wipe just as they tell me.

Then I reboot and have just a 9800pro :?

I wonder if Winflash is not recognizing the bios files because ive read that you need a shorter name. Also one file has a .bin extension. If I wrote down the exact model number from the core on my card could that pin down the bios I need better? I thought if you had Hynix ram then the CLub 3X bios would work....

Thanks much

9. Chai

Just to be sure, go to display properties and check this.

[​IMG]

10. joneZr

joneZr Newbie

Well I got it to work!!

I tried changing the bios file name to 9800xt.bin as suggested when using flashrom and this time winflash said file loaded successfully. The other times I tried it gives all the appearances of a successful load except this final verification so this was misleading.

Just gained 410 points in 3dmark 2001. The Omega drivers gave me 200 more with just my 9800pro.

Off to the Battlefield I go - thanks for all your help.

PS - Play Galactic Conquest mod it rules!!

11. Chai

Ah...congrats. :)

I might add the 'flash using winflash' guide in the future.

12. mondena

mondena Newbie

good afternoon everyone,

i just bought an MSI R9800Pro with the green PCB, it is often called the Medion.

The card has an R360 core (i removed the heatsink and checked), and it overclocks fine to 435\375.

i have used the flash guide here, and the flash seems to go fine, it says 6*** out of 6*** verified at the end, however after i reset it does not work. the card does not post. if i pop a PCI card in and reflash to the backup bios it is fine again.

any ideas on how i can get this thing to become an XT?

13. Chai

I don't own this card, so I cannot verify that Medion BIOS is actually an XT BIOS. You can only flash using Medion BIOS, others will not work on your card.

14. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Doesn't shockk have the Medion XT? :think:

15. Chai

The card is called Medion XXL, not Medion XT. :)

16. kimc

kimc Newbie

Thanks for your wonderful work. It is very informative. I have a ATI 9800 pro 360 core 2.8 Hyn mem and the pro card not xt form. 128mb too. I was wondering if there really is a noticeable speed difference flashing the bios to xt ver. just overclocking? You mentioned that the Club3d is the best one to use. I did try the Club3d and it worked but was wondering if it's better to just overclock when playing games and left it be at the default clock (so it doesn't get as hot when not in games, possible causing more wear and tear so to speak) Thanks you for advise. I have added the artic cooler and ramsinks to mem too.
    Thank you
    Kim Cummings

17. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

There won't be any difference in overclocking :mrgreen:

18. Chai

Since you have already flashed, I don't need to answer that question, do I? :D

The worst damage done on the card is when you play game at overclocked speed. When you are at desktop, no matter how high you overclock, it doesn't stress the card at all. So why worry? ;)

19. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

How am I to place FlashROM on the floppy disk? When I format it and make it a bootable MS-DOS disk, I am no longer able to read from it from within Windows. :?

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2.

20. akdraith

akdraith Newbie

Ati tooL?

ok i recently bought ASUS 9800 pro 256 mb and oc'd to 9800 xt with stock cooling. Today i just installed my Zalman-80D with ram heatsinks and optional fan. My temperatures are great but i have a question about ATI TOOL.

1) When im overclocking, sometimes I see no artifacts in the scan artifacts tool but yet it resets the time....
    2)I can overclock a lot higher and even though i find a few artifacts on scan artifacts ati tool, I dont have any at all when I go play games or run 3dmark (keep in mind my temperature remains a cool consistent 47 degrees under high stress 40/30 stable).

I was wondering if I am able to overclock it more when there are no artifacts in games but there are a few on ati tool?Or will it damage my video card over time? I have heard that atitool is very brutal on artifacts and you can be about 10 mhz more lenient. Right now if anyone is wondering I have it at 422/370 with my zalman cooler