The Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Viper007Bond: You should be able to read the formatted MS-DOS disk from Windows, are you sure there's nothing wrong with the floppy? (Thanks for the TG/FG videos! :mrgreen: )

akdraith: We do not recommend using ATITool for stress testing your card. ATITool is not consistent enough to be a reliable stress test. Use 3DMark03, Doom 3, or RTHDRIBL for testing.

2. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

WTF, now it's working. :roll:

And no prob. It's surprising though how many places where people know who I am. :lol: On a side note, Monday's Fifth Gear is up. ;)

3. Chai

LOL! At least it's working now. :mrgreen: (Thanks! Downloading! :mrgreen: )

4. mondena

mondena Newbie

i'm back (from page 56).

I have tried repeateadly to flash my card, it says right on the card Radeon 9800XXL Ver. 1.0, so perhaps the link to the MSI bios you have there is for a different version?

Are there any setting i should modify in the bios to make it work?

thx,
    mondena

5. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Bah. 3DMark05 is crashing after I overclock my 128MB 9800 Pro to 412/365. :| The Win XP crash dialog blames it on ntdll.dll. As for cooling, if you think that's the issue, I have a Arctic Cooling Rev. 3 on it as well as some OCZ copper heatsinks on the RAM.

This is pissing me off. Should I just not worry about it and keep going?

[edit] May be a seperate issue. Troubleshooting... [/edit]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  6. Chai

mondena: I don't what you are saying. The BIOS should work fine on your board without needing to mod.

Viper007Bond: Cooling can still be a problem for you. Might want to start another thread about it. :D

7. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

3DMark03/05 is crashing even without any overclocking. I just got a score of 40k+ in AquaMark03 with no overclocking though with no issues, so something is up with 3DMark. Now that I know that it's the program and not something else, I'm not too worried. It was also always crashing at the same point in both 3DMark03 and 3DMark05 - when switching to the load screen for the second test.

On with the modification! :D

8. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Hmm, backed up exsisting BIOS just fine. When attempting to flash my 128MB 9800 Pro with Hylix memory, I get this error:

Is this not supposed to happen or is this because of the Pro -> XT change?

9. Chai

Wait, have you flashed the BIOS yet?

10. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Nope. Waiting to get a response on why I'm getting that error when attempting to flash my BIOS.

AquaMark03 and that other lighting program work just fine when my card is overclocked BTW.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  11. Chai

I'm so sorry about the mistake in the guide, I wasn't aware of it until now! The correct command is

A:\flashrom -p -f 0 9800xt.rom

You can refer here for better explaination too. http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=92&pgno=10

12. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

13. Chai

Yeah, that's the place I need to update. Thanks! :D

14. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Woo! It worked. It's an XT now and I'm also running the Omega drivers - my first time doing so. :D

15. Chai

Congrats! :mrgreen:

16. mondena

mondena Newbie

Hey Chai, sorry for the lack of clarity.

This is my situation, i download the correct bios, flash it successfully, however if i reset my computer than there is no signal from the video card and i need to put a PCI card in and flash back to the original bios for the card to put out a signal.

An odd side note is that when i have a PCI card in, if i go to windows, windows picks up my 9800 as an "XT" and i can install drivers for it. However if i plug the monitor into that card there is no signal.

i am fairly confident i am flashing correctly (since i can put it back to the 9800pro no problem), however it seems the MSI bios does not work. Since my card has hynix memory, i tried a sappire/HIS hynix memory bios, but it did the exact same thing.

So i still really want to flash my card (free performance, and the main reason i ordered this Medion card as i read they were great for it), but i don't know what is the next thing i need to try.

thx for your help

17. akdraith

akdraith Newbie

bump*

18. Chai

19. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

So now to see how much farther I can overclock, I just need to do it manually? Go up like 10 and then run 3DMark?

20. Chai

Yup, use something like Radlinker.