The Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Sin22

Sin22 Newbie

haha, dont worry abt it mate, I got caught once too by a friend and thought it was bs.

Anyhow, wrote up a small help guide to find R360 cored 9800Pro 128MB from what I've been noticing here in Singapore.

Have a looksie.

2. -ct-

-ct- Newbie

very nice giude :)

and, according to that, there's a 99.99% chance i still have the old R350
    and since my ram is the samsung, and not the same batch or even close to the numbers you posted for them, then this whole thing would be a waste of time for my card :|

ah well, my card still kicks ass compared to anything from geforce :beer:

i'll be formatting and loading xp pro sometime in the next week, maybe i'll pull the hs/f off while i'm at it and look just for ha-ha's

3. -ct-

-ct- Newbie

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

HEY! There's no way to confirm your card has the old core until you remove the cooler! :mrgreen:

Sin22: That's an interesting finding! :D

5. jcniest5

jcniest5 Newbie

ATI Card, too?

Does this mod apply to card built by ATI, too? Or does it just apply to Saphire, Gigabyte, etc... and not ATI?

6. Chai

Re: ATI Card, too?

I have not seen any BBA cards around, sorry, can't confirm that.

7. blkjack

blkjack Newbie

AiW 9800 PRO uses DDR2

Will this mod work with a AiW 9800 as they come equipped with DDR2 -128MB. Has any one checked or is there other things to consider? I just order this card and have not received it yet. What heat sink would fit this beast that might help out the cooling?

8. -ct-

-ct- Newbie

Re: AiW 9800 PRO uses DDR2

from what i have read, it MAY work

BUT

you wil lose the AiW capabilities, as there is no 9800XT AiW

can't help ya on cooling, i haven't looked that far

Chai - mine has the gold hs pins, the older samsung ram and it's identified in software as R350 - pretty fair guess that it's definetly not an R360 :(

9. blkjack

blkjack Newbie

Sorry Chai I'm such a n00b at this stuff, i guess I just thought the rest of the cards features where software driven and not bios dependent. I'm buying a P4I875P Dragon 2 Black Label Edition V1.0 and a 2.8 GHz with just some OCZ Technology PC3200 DDR 400 512x2 CAS2.5 (until the price drops on DIMMS) 2x 120 WD SATA drives. I guess I should really be posting in another forum on this.

10. Chai

You cannot identify the card's core using software! I got R350 before I flash my card's BIOS too!

blkjack: Don't wory about being noob. No one is born smart. :D I don't think you should flash your BIOS like what -ct- said, you might lose the AIW capabilities which defeats the purpose of getting AIW in the first place! :mrgreen:

11. -ct-

-ct- Newbie

well, my warrantied power supply finally came in - i had forgotten about it!, so i shut down to replace it and while i was at it, i checked the core

yep, it's a 350 with the old samsung ram

guess there's not much i can do huh?

:wall:

oh well, it still kicks any card i've ever had before, and gforce's ass :D

1 person likes this.
  12. Blue078

Blue078 Newbie

So were do you find a 128mb BIOS ???
    I just my Visiontek 128mb 98P back from RMA, and it has the R360 core :) It has Hynix 2.8ns ram.

I would love to boost it's performance to, or near 98XT level. I flashed my FX5900 to a 5950 Ultra and it worked great, but nVidia cards seem to just ignor the extra memory if your card dont have it. Do ATI cards work the same way?

Any help Thanks.

13. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

waaaaa............so many ppl interested in modding the 128mb card..........mebbe ARP should update the guide for 128mb?????? :think: :think: :think: :think:

14. Sin22

Sin22 Newbie

I've already done a guide for flashing 128MB 9800Pro cards with R360 cores.

The guide can be found here.

15. Blue078

Blue078 Newbie

Yes I read that and it's very helpfull :) But it still left me with the big question.

Will those two BIOS's work with any other cards than GEcube, and Club3D ?

16. Sin22

Sin22 Newbie

The BIOSes work on any standard PCB 9800Pro.

I am using a Sapphire card flashed with the Club3D BIOS and I have flashed an ELSA & Sapphire card with the GigaCube BIOSes as well.

17. Blue078

Blue078 Newbie

And thanks for takeing the time to make that excelent guide, it realy did help me quite a bit.

18. Sin22

Sin22 Newbie

haha, seems the little guide I did on my own has been merged with the original 256MB mod guide.

Nice & relatively seamless mates.

Hope it helps more people, but still, looking at the scores of the 9800XT and then looking at the X800Pro, you just feel so crap because of the sheer difference....*sigh*...more money out in the future :D

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hehe... Yup!

Thanks for your contribution. The guide is now more complete. :thumb:

Well, you can always sell your two 9800XTs and get that X800! :wicked: :mrgreen:

20. blkjack

blkjack Newbie

Is there any simple way of writing a bios so that I can keep my AiW 9800 features but upgrading the video card command sets to the 9800XT bios set?