THE SEVEN DANGEROUS ACTS - AFTER MEAL

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Got this in a nice PowerPoint presentation by e-mail (again). Check it out :

2. Adrian Wong

This was what I wrote back :

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

reminds me of the forwarded email i get from a friend about some unfortunate person gets donation for every email we forward ...

i got mad %$# and email back everyone she sent to about it being false.. lol

4. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I do feel uncomfortable if I walk around straightaway after eating though :think:

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for demystifying! :thumb:

6. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

7. Adrian Wong

Mama always said: Eat more! Kids are starving!

- This is a myth alright. Agree with them that kids should be "refueled" according to their appetite. Feed only when hungry!
    - Unfortunately, this is something moms just cannot do. Even Jenny insists on feeding according to an arbitrarily created schedule. :nuts:

Mama always said: Don't sit so close to the TV -- you'll ruin your eyes

- My dad loves to tell us that. Even blames my eyesight on the fact I work in front of computers all the time. :nuts:
    - Verdict : FALSE! Your eyesight won't be affected by the distance to the TV.

Mama always said: Don't read in the dark

- FALSE too. Low light won't ruin your vision. Strains your eyes and gives you a headache and that's about it.

Mama always said: Don't frown, you'll get wrinkles

- FALSE. If that's true, then we would have a lot of dour-looking people, all trying to keep a straight face to avoid wrinkles. Just tell Mom to take it easy and remind her we now have Botox! :)

Mama always said: Sit up straight

- Slouching makes you look like a lazy pig, but that's about it. :)

Mama always said: That music is too loud

- TRUE. Excessively loud noise, or prolonged exposure to even moderately loud noise can cause PERMANENT impairment of hearing. Earphone users should be careful, and keep the volume as low as possible.

Mama always said: We're having dinner together because that's what families do

- Don't know it has to be something that DEFINES a family, but I think it's good practice. I always try to make sure everyone in the family sits down for a meal before anyone takes the first bite. :)

Mama always said: Eat your breakfast

- Yes, breakfast is important. Asians, especially, have a bad habit of doing it in reverse. We eat small breakfasts, big lunches and heavy dinners. I think it should be the opposite.
    - Unfortunately, I'm a big criminal in this. By the time I wake, it's lunch... :lol: ... and I've been brought up to love heavy dinners. Then again, I guess that works out (for me!) since I do work long nights. :D

Mama always said: Put on a coat, you'll catch a cold

- Wish that was true. Then we can all just put on our coats and we would be "immune" from the H1N1 virus. :)

8. Adrian Wong

You can get uncomfortable walking, especially after a heavy meal, but it's nothing to worry about.

9. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

But Dr., I thought sitting up straight will be biomechanically good for the spine? I'm always told that I should not lift things up by bending down.

And kids should not keep eating too much - just casually eat when they are just hungry. I'm not sure, but if kids keep eating, could they have childhood obesity in the end? :think:

10. Adrian Wong

Not necessarily. Sitting ramrod straight can be bad for the spine. The spine has a natural curve to it. It's best to keep it that way.

Yeah, lifting things by bending down is bad, especially if they are heavy.

Yes, childhood obesity is a big problem. Heh.. Especially when the trend is to Super Size everything! :lol:

11. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Mama always said: Don't sit so close to the TV -- you'll ruin your eyes

- My dad loves to tell us that. Even blames my eyesight on the fact I work in front of computers all the time.

Hahaha, I allways got that one too!:doh: :haha:

12. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Yes - childhood obesity is very dangerous problem nowadays. Luckily, during my childhood days, I used to come outside and play very often, despite the computer at home! (my pa limits my comp usage for one hour a day when I was like a kid!) :haha:

Balanced meals are good. Keep junk food away before lunch or dinner, that's for sure! :thumb: