The Stubborn Paging File Guide Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by peaz, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

onclejean,

I have not used NAV 2005 so I can't comment on that.

However, the only way to solve the problem of the stubborn paging file is to prevent NAV or SAV from loading BEFORE Windows completes booting up.

2. onclejean

onclejean Newbie

Stubborn paging File

Adrian,

What is the best way to stop NAV or SAV loading before the pagefile? I believe that disabling autoprotect and enabling it after Windows has booted does it, but it is not a very elegant solution.

Did I see some where that moving ccApp.exe from HKLM\...\Run to the the current users start folder would be a solution? :?

3. Adrian Wong

onclejean,

That's the way I did it. Most unfortunate that it didn't work with NAV 2005. It works with SAV and NAV 2004 though.

Yes, if you want, you can move ccApp.exe.

4. onclejean

onclejean Newbie

Page File not accepting Conrol Panlel parameters in C:

I had another recurrence of this problem as follows:
    1 Set the page file to any size in C but Windows loads it the default System Managed size of 3.5 GB.
    2 If I set it in another drive on another disk, say E:\, it loads to the size I have chosen of 1 GB.
    3 If I then add a second small page file in C for error reporting purposes - 720/1000max MB - no pagefile.sys in
    C while that 1 GB file is still present in E.

With help from Microsoft's Jim Gui I found the solution:

1 Click Start, Click Run, type Regedit. Go to
    HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\MemoryManagement
    2 Double click the PagingFiles in right panel. Change the minimum and maximum values to what you want, say
    C:\Pagefile.sys 766 1024

Make this change in the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001, ControlSet002,ControlSet003 branches,.......00n if they exist.

Delete the existing pagefile in C:\ using a boot utility or going to Safe mode to do it.

Reboot normally and check actual pagefiles equals values set in Control Panel\Advanced\Performance\Settings
    It should now bbe correct :thumb:

5. Adrian Wong

Oooh, I see! :beer:

That's an odd problem, isn't it? Can't say I've experienced it though. :think:

6. chillyman

chillyman Newbie

Well, altering your pagefile can offer a few benefits I guess but there is one thing about that guide that I don't really follow:

Why put the pagefile at the end of the disc?

It just doesn't seem like a very smart thing to do. As far as I know, the pagefile is frequently accessed, therefore you'd be better of by keeping it on the inner sectors. After all, frequently modified files are always put near the beginning of the disk by defragmenters. So basically it would be stupid to change that layout manually I think. Or there might be something I do not know of. How come you say that it's better to have the pagefile at the end? I'm very curious.

Besides, as the technical engineers at Microsoft and others already have stated before, research has shown that you benefit from a larger pagefile if you have small amounts of RAM. I consider my system managed pagefile of 768 MB (2.5 times the size of my RAM) to be just what I need. Hardly ever have I experienced problems with that configuration. Are there actually any good arguments against putting you pagefile on your primary partition? I still haven't come across any.

In conclusion, manually altering the pagefile config seems to give more trouble than it's worth really. Unless someone has a really great explanation for why I should change it, I guess I'll be going along with what the "experts" at Microsoft thinks.

Just my 2c.
    Bye

7. Adrian Wong

Hello chillyman,

As explained in the guide, performance is the biggest reason for placing the page file or even the system files on the outer tracks of the hard drive. The outer tracks are very much faster than the inner tracks.

You can take a look at the reviews of a hard drive like the 400GB Barracuda 7200.8. Take a look at the read speed across the platter.

Defrag software put frequently modified files at the inner tracks so that it would be easier to defrag the hard drive. It's weird that you noticed this but failed to notice that they placed the system files at the outer tracks. :think:

In fact, if the inner tracks are so great for performance, why won't they optimize the hard drive by placing all the data starting from the inner tracks? ;)

Hmm.. Research has shown that you will benefit from a larger pagefile if you have small amounts of RAM? Do you have a link? Also links to what Microsoft engineers have stated? :think:

In any case, a larger pagefile does NOT give you any benefit. It doesn't make your system faster, stronger or better. It just gives you more.. virtual memory. :mrgreen:

If you don't have enough memory, your system will just use virtual memory. If you don't have enough virtual memory, Windows XP will automatically extend the page file to create more. Creating an overly big page file will not do anything but waste hard drive space.

But please don't misinterprete me, as you did the guide. I'm not saying you should have a small page file. As stated in the guide, you should FIND OUT what your maximum virtual requirements are. Then create a page file that's suitable for your requirements.

Actually, no matter what you choose to do with your page file, there's no reason for you to experience any "problem". This is really just a matter of optimizing the page file for maximum performance. The best solution would still be a RAM upgrade, not more virtual memory.

Huh? Good arguments against putting the pagefile in the primary partition? I don't get you. As stated in the guide, there are a few ways of optimizing the page file. One of the would be placing it in the outer tracks, and that means placing it in the FIRST partition.

Of course, if you have another hard drive, you can put it on that drive so that it can be accessed concurrently to the system files on the first hard drive, keeping in mind that this hard drive should be on a separate IDE channel, etc.

You could be right in your conclusion. If you read this thread, there are people who worry too much about the tiny details and lose the big picture. If you think your system's performance is fantastic, by all means, leave it at default.

The guide is for those who are not satisfied with the performance of their paging file and want to make sure it's running optimally. But for the record, I don't believe experts at Microsoft ever disputed the optimization tips covered in the guide. If they did, please do let me know where.

Thanks!

8. The Tekkie

The Tekkie Newbie

Just read this thread with some interest, have got the same problem on a customers PC.
    Norton IS 2005 was installed but it has been removed and have run SymNRT removal tool as well just to make sure.
    System Internals Autoruns shows no Symantec stuff loading but I still have this stubborn paging file.
    If I start in safe mode I get the paging file size I have set, If I start in normal mode the size is fixed.
    Registry settings under
    HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\control\session manager\memory management
    are all ok and indicate the paging file size I have set.
    I have searched the registry for Symantec/Norton references but cannot find anything significant.
    Has anyone managed to figure how Norton implement paging file protection.
    :confused:

9. Adrian Wong

Hmm... What else are you running? Any other anti-virus software installed?