The Toshiba Satellite M30 Notebook Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Jan 7, 2004.

1. abeule

abeule Newbie

The primary module of mine (another brand than the 2nd 256) was faulty, according to the Software. I got a replacement from the local service-partner within 10 days (christmas delay) and shipped the bad strip back to them. Reward: 32MB USB stick, 3 days later. I did not know they were still making the small ones :lol:

By the way: recently my cooler/vent system comes a bit loudly, it sounds like trouble in the fan-bearing. Anybody an idea what to do about this?

And i am thinking about changing the DVD-RW for a new double layer type. Someone tried this already?

Andreas

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If it's getting quite noisy, that's a sign the fan is failing. Best get Toshiba to take a look at it now.

Hmm.. dual-layer. Well, I'm personally quite against such an upgrade as dual-layer discs aren't particularly easy or cheap to find over here. But that could be different for you. :think:

3. Minsc

Minsc Newbie

I'm jealous now. Today I was looking through a Future Shop flyer when I noticed a Toshiba notebook with some interesting specs. I looked up on Toshiba.ca and found this, the Toshiba Satellite M40-JM3. What caught my eye was the GeForce Go 6600. I'm no mobile GPU expert but from what I've read people are impressed with it. Too bad I have to buy a truck this fall. If I didn't I probably would sell my M30 and upgrade to a M40. :D

4. Adrian Wong

WOAH!! The M40 looks very good! :shock:

But unfortunately, Toshiba is still using a 4200RPM hard disk for it. :wall:

When will they learn?? 4200 RPM hard disks are DINOSAURs!!! OBSOLETE! LET THEM BE! :evil:

5. Minsc

Minsc Newbie

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  6. Adrian Wong

It looks like the original M30. And the specs show the same Harmon/Kardon speakers so I guess it's the same design. :thumb:

Arghhh... And I just bought the Joybook 7000... :wall:

7. Minsc

Minsc Newbie

It's a similar but not the same design as the M30's. From pics I've seen it looks like they improved it. Canadians appear to be the lucky ones this time. The M40 is the sister to the M45 in the US. While the M40 has the GeForce Go 6600 the M45 uses the latest Intel Extreme Graphics. Good thing I'm Canadian. :thumb:

Aside from the 4200 rpm HD there is one complaint people seem to have with the M40/45. Battery life doesn't appear to be as good as the M30.

Here's a good review for it if you're interested.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2212

8. Adrian Wong

Argghhh... Toshiba, please send me a unit to review! :mrgreen:

9. remanence

remanence Newbie

dont worry adrian! the M40 is not so good! the display is bad to watch a DVD "is not a IPS* M30 screen" and the sound card Sigma Tel is more weak compare with the M30 the TruSurround SRS system is ridiculous crappy. just only the graphic card is good 5499 with 3DMark03 that all!

conclusion: keeps your M30!

* In-Plane Switching or Super-TFT

Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  10. I have to let off some steam on Toshiba

We had to Pay for a new DVD drives on 2 Toshiba models because in order to warrantee replace the MODULAR drive (Modular = Push a button and it pops out to swap with another drive or battery) we would have had to ship it in for 5 - 7 days because a modular drive is not a user replacable part :haha:

A simple warrantee repair of the screen on a new Tecra M2 this unit has been out since April 5th 2005 and the part is getting pushed back every too weeks.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, how would you feel if you were a student and your only computer went out for a warrantee repair over 2 months ago and is still delayed for a few more weeks?

TOSHIBA service SUCKS IMO and their laptops have a high failure rate in my company.

11. Adrian Wong

Wow.. That SUCKS! :hand:

You should make a LOT of LOUD noises. :wicked:

12. Eldar

Eldar Newbie

hiya i was gonna buy this laptop already today http://www.europc.co.uk/home.aspx?ProductDetailID=1&ProductID=39369
    but read bout it becoming hot after 15 min of work, whats the deal with that? maybe this feature has been fixed on new refurbished ones what do u reckon?
    im pretty much using PC at least 10 hours per day and happend to be a big "leecher" :) having soulseek and emule running all the time while im online.

i was also considering purchasing Dell D800
    http://www.europc.co.uk/home.aspx?ProductDetailID=1&ProductID=39650

now i was wondering if Toshiba does suit me? or if i'll leave it running alone at home for 17 hours straight its going to burn down?

i am using WIFI at home

cheers! :)

13. Adrian Wong

Nah, it won't burn down! :mrgreen:

It just won't be very comfortable placing it on the lap for long periods. :mrgreen:

But if you are going to use it on a table top, it should not be a problem. Maybe a warm palm is all you have to worry about. :mrgreen:

14. Eldar

Eldar Newbie

hiya again!
    thx for yir reply, i was also wondering what does
    - Satellite Pro M30,
    - Satellite M30
    and
    - Satellite M30X stand for?.... since theyre all refurbished they all pretty much look the same on the inside, which is the most recent and which is most dated version?
    so it doesnt get that hot under touchpad that one would have to certainly use external mousepad?

also, what is the faster WIFI? 802.11a/b/g/?????

boy oh bhoy this heat issue does bother me so muchos :(
    i went to the PC WORLD the other day and toshiba keyboards were rather warm compared to sony's and compaqs

thx again!

15. Adrian Wong

Well, the thing is Toshiba changes the specifications of the M30 on and off. In fact, even the specifications will vary from region to region. Therefore, it's best to just evaluate it based on the current specifications.

That's quite subjective actually. You are more likely to feel the heat TYPING, than using the touch pad, IMHO. This is because when you type, your palm rests on the hot areas for a longer period of time than your finger which is on the touch pad.

You should go for 802.11g since it's faster than 802.11b and backward compatible with 802.11b devices.

16. Eldar

Eldar Newbie

17. Adrian Wong

Sorry, I have no experience with that notebook. :(

But frankly, it's really NOT overheating. Just some heat issues that may make it a little uncomfortable to use the notebook for extended periods of time.

18. Minsc

Minsc Newbie

Kind of going off topic here but I thought this was worth mentioning.

Toshiba appears to be finally phasing out the old 4200rpm drives. Three models for the M70 series are on Toshiba Canada's site. The lower end model has a 100MB 5400rpm IDE drive while the two higher model have 100MB 5400rpm S-ATA drives.

M70-SR6

19. Adrian Wong

That's great news!!!!!!!!! :beer: :beer:

Although I suspect they will continue using 4200 RPM drives over here in Malaysia since I still see them listing the same 4200 RPM hard drives in their specs. :wall: :wall:

20. pfelelep

pfelelep Newbie

Got, the same trouble. I recently open-it to clean all but it diden't seem too dusty.
    Bit now, it's A LITTLE BIT less noisy.

next step: replacing the fan... :boohoo:

Opening the satellite M30/35#)