The Toshiba Satellite M30 Notebook Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Cool! BTW, does that 802.11g module run cooler than the 802.11b module? :mrgreen:

Too bad 802.11b routers cannot be flashed into 802.11g routers. :wall:

2. tatchong

tatchong Newbie

Hey Adrian,

It's still warm, but yeah, now that you mention it, it does seem a bit cooler. I wish I had some way to measure the temperature like you did in your review!

Yeah, too bad about flashing the router...I've got the MS MN-500 which I'm looking to unload now for a MN-700!

3. Adrian Wong

LOL! Well, 403fobby was wondering if the 802.11g module might be cooler than the 802.11b. :mrgreen:

How much did you pay for the 802.11g module? :think:

4. 403fobby

403fobby Newbie

haha well it's still good to hear that the 802.11g SEEM to run cooler...LOL

5. Adrian Wong

Hello jbro,

You posted it in the wrong forum. I moved it to the General Software forum. Here is the direct link - http://forums.rojakpot.com/viewtopic.php?t=10457.

6. Tuup

Tuup Newbie

Hi there :D

So i bought the M30 last week and I like it very much. I bought it with 256 MB and a later time I want to add another 512 MB. However, today I heard that notebooks can't handle two different amounts of memory very well (very little extra speed/performance as he said) and that it would be better if I would buy another 256 MB of memory.

Is this true?

7. Adrian Wong

Hello Tuup!

That's great! :thumb:

Hmm.. That is not true. You will notice a significant performance boost with more memory, especially if you run memory-intensive apps or games.

Go ahead and get the extra 512MB of memory. I'm using 512MB and it's not even enough! And 256MB certainly is way too little! :mrgreen:

8. SNR

SNR Newbie

hey where can I get the m30 windows 98 graphic card driver cos I have some old games that does not work with XP

cheers

9. Adrian Wong

You can always download the Go5200's driver from http://support.toshiba.com/.

10. SNR

SNR Newbie

nope, they only the win xp drivers for the m30 btw Adrian do u know that the m30 has a newer model with the CSV(clear super view) thingy. Have u seen it before and how much differences from the normal m30. Another thing about the m30, when I put it on standby and after an hour or so, I try to resume it back by pressing the power button, it hangs so I pressed the power button for 5 seconds to boot again and it says resume failure. Is this a problem for u too

cheers

11. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Didn't realize that. :doh:

I have no trouble resuming from Standby most of the time. But that issue does occur occasionally.

For some reason, my combo drive just died after I shut down the M30 during a power cut. I'm going to take it to the Toshiba service center and give their customer service a try. :mrgreen:

12. sumurai

sumurai Newbie

I have a NEC notebook running on Pentium M and this happens to mine too :doh:

13. Adrian Wong

I think it's more of a Windows XP problem, rather than a Pentium M or hardware problem. :think:

14. 403fobby

403fobby Newbie

Hey i've just heard a few positive feedbacks from couple of new M30 users, since it's been equiped with the Dothan processors, they noticed the palmrest area and such runs a little cooler than the old M30s. They describe the warmness as "freshly printed pages from the printer". Also, they noticed the new Crystal View displays were noticably brighter and more crisp than the old M30 notebooks carry. Too bad Canada doesn't have them yet.

15. UnKn0wN

UnKn0wN Newbie

Flashing bios

I wanna flash the bios with the latest 1.50 win but after 1 min sais that ''the user is not authorized to flash the bios''
    any suggestions?

16. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I wonder if Toshiba has any upgrade programs. I doubt it. But I wish we can upgrade our M30s. :mrgreen:

17. 403fobby

403fobby Newbie

i'm not sure what u mean, upgrade as in send back and pay to upgrade? or trade in upgrade?

18. Adrian Wong

Either way. :mrgreen:

19. 403fobby

403fobby Newbie

I *think*, yet pretty sure that there is a Trade In program available on the USA Toshiba site, but send it back and pay to upgrade? I'm not sure.

20. Adrian Wong

Arrghhh.. Unfortunately, nothing's really equal in this world. We don't get the same opportunities or treatment over here.

I asked Toshiba's distributor over here - No trade-in and no upgrades. :roll: