The Windows Media Player 10 Review!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by News Writer, Sep 8, 2004.

1. News Writer

News Writer News Writer

Microsoft just released the brand new Windows Media Player 10! Boasting a whole slew of new and improved features, we just can't help but go give it a spin!

So today, we will take a look at Windows Media Player 10's new and improved features. You will see for yourself if WMP10 is worth the upgrade. In addition, we will also compare WMP10 with a few other media players like Winamp, foobar2000, BSplayer and Media Player Classic!

[​IMG]

Link : The Windows Media Player 10 Review!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2004
  2. plasma

plasma Newbie

hhmmm.... wut i dun like bout WMP (was using WMP9) is the playlist. let's say u have a playlist on... called "My Songs", u cant add files to the playlst easily like in winamp.

u've gotta open windows explorer, right-click on the file and choose "add to playlist", then it will open a window for u to add... which is darn slow...

plus, i cant sort the playlist the way i want, it always revert back to the original order whenever u close WMP. unlike winamp, which records the last order.

dun know if this feature has been changed in WMP10.

btw, the crossfading thing was also present in WMP9 alrdy, and it works on my rig... it only functions when u reach the end of a song and transition to the next song, doesnt work if u press the "Next" button. one point for upgrade here.

oh yeah, by default WMP doesnt have the keyboard shortcuts like in winamp, the "ZXCVB" which is wut i use most. Altho, u might find that feature included with certain WMP skins.

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

double clicking for full screen works!
    I just tried that yesterday on my rig playing a divx video....

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yea.. it works..

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I thought WMP9 also does that? :think:

6. peaz

well, i think it does work on all versions of windows media player...but it was cranky for me on version 9. Sometimes it won't work. no idea why. :nuts:

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I'm still using WMP9 :mrgreen:

I still prefer WMP over Winamp :p

8. peaz

then go on and install wmp10 if you love wmp9!!! ;) :thumb:

9. Chai

I love WMP10, but I love foobar2000 even more! :thumb:

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

hmmm had no problem using double clicks :p
    quite often i use Alt+Enter

11. peaz

Well, I love foobar too... unfortunately, it's weird-ly uses a lot of processor resources on my win2k laptop. And on my desktop... it won't play through all my 5 speakers :( (okok... music SHOULD be enjoyed in stereo...but it somehow sounds better if all the my 5 speaker plays it and i don't have chai's SONY headphones :p)

so it's both WinAmp and WMP 10 for me... :p :p

12. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Thinking of giving it a try. I hate WMP9's useless auto-download of codecs. It's a POS feature. :roll:

1 person likes this.
  13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

You guys make me recall how I lost my double-click-to-maximize feature. Didn't remember it until a moment ago. It was a software that I installed not long ago. :lol: Just uninstalled it, restarted my pc and the I can maximize again! :haha:

It was the InterVideo MP3 DVD XPack v1.1 WinXP that I installed for it's mp3 plug-in so that I can rip audio cds into mp3 files with WMP9. :mrgreen:

But I don't think I need it anymore. Sorry guys, my mistake. :oops: :beer:

1 person likes this.
  14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yeah, it was a POS. I have no idea how it is now. But Adrian, I thought you downloaded the package full of codecs already. Still need WMP10 to download codecs for you? :mrgreen:

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, I normally use drag-n-drop. :mrgreen: So never face such problem. But now with the Improved Library, you can use the library to manage your mp3s what. Well, one thing though, you'll have to tag every mp3/wma you have. :haha:

The list will stay as it is now. And it shows the last song you played before you shut down WMP10 too. :thumb:

Doesn't work for me. *sigh* :boohoo:

I agree. Now the short-cut keys need you to at least press two keys and sometimes three.

16. Chai

That's why I like foobar! I can set a universal shortcut key, and I can change to the next song without needing to open foobar! :thumb:

17. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

And now it has an alien icon. :thumb:

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

But Foobar wont play .wma files.... :doh:

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL! I had to. WMP9 was a POS when it comes to codecs. :mrgreen:

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

why dun you just use the "convert stereo to 4 channel" DSP?