Thermalright SI-97 GPU Cooler Mod Guide Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Aug 13, 2005.

1. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Well said Bestia(ry) well said :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  2. zachig

zachig Newbie

I totally agree with you, Bestia(ry). Strong words!!! :clap:

1 person likes this.
  3. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Don't forget that the objective of the mod is to achieve low temperatures because the card is heavily overclocked and overvolted. Noise is not a huge issue (it shouldn't be, when you're a serious air overclocker), and neither is the loss of a few PCI slots (2 are still usable, as would be the case on most full ATX boards). Therefore, why bother re-designing the entire heatsink when leaving it as it is achieves the intended goals?

I would also dispute your argument that your design would provide sufficient cooling without the use of a dedicated fan. If you rely mostly on the air from the CPU cooler, that's not good since the air has already been warmed up. If you relied on case airflow, you'd need really good airflow to deal with the high heat output, so I doubt you're going to have much of a reduction in noise level :roll:

If you had bothered to have a look at the temperature graphs, you would have seen the difference in temps that the mod yields over a more conventional graphics card cooler. So I don't think Max has anything left to prove to you.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

IMHO, no matter how ghetto a mod is, we can all learn from it.

We learn from someone's creativity and ingenuity in solving a problem with limited resources. We learn from the mistakes he/she makes while attempting the mod. And we learn if it's really worth the effort, or not.

And like science experiments, we post the results, whether it's a success or not. We do not clamp a lid on it just because it does not prove our hypothesis. No matter what the results are, we can always learn something from whatever we do.

Of course, if you can do something better than that, please do so. And write a guide on it. The community benefits from such guides. But there's no point just talking about it. Go on and JUST DO IT! :thumb:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  5. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

yeah, I ahve seen many creative mods. To be honest, I really had no idea how people come up with these amazing mods. I really didn't know that you can mod system in such way till I really got into computer.

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I was suprised when Max told me about this a while back. But man it can really go... Too bad its not an option for my hot 6800Ultra... :(

7. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Ya know..... :think:

:idea: Someone in the industry should make pci-e/agp socket "extention cord to a remote socket" device to allow a crafty modder to put his/her v-card/cards somewhere else in the case, Or in a seperate case all together :think:

Pat pending 2005... By Trin... :mrgreen:

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

ROTFL!! You should try that mod!! :mrgreen:

1 person likes this.
  9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

The objective of this mod is for better cooling performance, not to impress anyone. :mrgreen:

1) Why would I wanted to modify more since this way works just finee?
    2) IMO, the heatflow is not messed up. The fan pulls the air at the bottom of the casing and pushes the hot air upwards.
    3)If you are thinking to mount the SI-97 on top of the cooler, I doubt you have much space for your fan up there. Plus, the airflow now is really messed up since it is very close to the CPU cooler itself. Wow! Completely passive cooling with SI-97, using the airflow from CPU? I'd like to see you cool your heavily voltmodded and overclocked card that way :haha:

Yeah, this mod isn't something remarkable, just attach a metal plate and it's all done. But I'm happy that it really performs (The result says it all ) and I wanted to show it to people that it actually works :mrgreen:

OMG! quieter operation than stock? I guess if you want it to be even quieter than stock you would need to run it passively. :haha: I wonder what happens to your card(heavily overvolted) if you'd actually did what you mention :haha:

More actual modications? :eh: Well, maybe you think that this mod doesn't look good :mrgreen: but as I said, I did this mod just for better cooling performance.

If you could come out a method of avoiding running access to 2 other PCI slots and it actually performs as well as or outperforms what I did, I'd really like to see it! :mrgreen:

10. MacTweker

MacTweker Newbie

If you wanted to see it done a little better here it is…

http://www.zubalew.com/josh/loose_images/first_install.jpg

and

http://www.zubalew.com/josh/loose_images/topside.jpg

Totally passive, totally quiet, a little more compact, blocking no PCI slots and 20-30 degrees Farentheight cooler than the stock heatsink/fan. Runs fine in a computer that has a case.

You’ve been owned by a Mac user…

This Mac user thanks you for publishing the article, It was an insparation and I did learn from it. Switching the foot around was not as easy as it looked but the fit is much better. I can mount 92mm fans or 80 mm fans on top but for now I’m going for passive.

I’ll write up this mod when I get the time to do it right.

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I'm sorry if u failed to notice that the temperatures used by Max_87 is celsius and not in "Fahrenheit" (spelled correctly ;) .) The article showed an improvement of over 50F (how much improvement did you get again?)when pitted against a aftermarket cooler. So owned? :mrgreen: If you had bothered reading the article properly as well as this thread, Max has clearance issues with his CPU cooler.

I'm really sorry that you have shown very poor attitude (think 8th grader.) :mrgreen: I hope you may live on happy as you are. :thumb: But take it somewhere else as I will not tolerate this behaviour. :arp:

Thank you and good day. :mrgreen:

12. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

nice mod MacTweker.. but i dont think modern PCs can accomodate that thing due to the heatsinks and NB heatsinks .. they are pretty big this days for P4 & AMD

13. MacTweker

MacTweker Newbie

I’m not running some boneless system in some super cooled apartment. It’s not possible for me to loose 50C. My house is 75-77F right now about 25C. The computer case well ventilated as it my be is full of hot equipment and is 98F (36.66 C) when it’s been on for a while. This is what I consider ambient temperature because it’s what the video card lives in. The video card runs 136F-143F (say 60C) with the stock heatsink/fan and depending on the core speed of the 9800 Pro. As you can see no heatsink or heatsink/fan is going to drop 50C. With the modded SI-97 the video card is 106F (41.1C) with a quiet but slow silenx fan, and 112F (say 44.4) without a fan.

You’ll notice these are nice real numbers not some too fudgable and out of context delta number.

I don’t think modding the foot really took away any heat carrying capacity. The heatsink it works as well as it did before modding, it just fits much better now without blocking PCI slots or interfering with the two CPU’s in my system and their big cooling systems.

Looking at Max’s setup for the “typical pc” it’s clear this modded heatsink would be well clear of the CPU as the modded heatsink is less tall in wraparound mode, the only obstacle would be the tall heatsink on that northbridge chip on the mobo. I think he could have figured it out it would be more impressive and still as megalomaniacally excessive.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Allow me to explain the deltas. You see during testing, temperatures will never remain the same. So what we do is we take the delta (Temperature - ambient temp = Delta .) This is so that it can than be comparable regardless what the ambient temperature becomes. Any changes in the ambient temperature has a direct impact on the CPU/GPU temperature. If ambient goes up 1 degree, so will the CPU. So with delta, regardless what the ambient is, the delta will remain the same and therefore more accurately shows the performance of the cooling. So fudgy and out of text? :mrgreen:

I must say that your mod does work if the person is using a smaller cooling solution for their CPU. But it wont work with max as he's using a large heatsink and fan on his CPU. Max's system is not typical as everything is voltmodded and pushed to the very edge. :mrgreen:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Thermalright SI-97 GPU Cooler Mod Guide Rev. 2.0!

The guide has just been updated! :wave:

The stock coolers on most graphics cards barely do the job. If you are into overclocking, you would most certainly opt for a third-party cooler from the likes of Zalman or Arctic Cooling.

But for a select group of extreme overclockers who enjoy voltage-modding their cards for the extra edge, even third-party coolers just won't hack it.

Today, Max_87 shows us just how easy it is to mod a Thermalright SI-97 CPU cooler into an awesome GPU cooler capable of handling even voltage-modded cards!

Here is the update:-
    [​IMG]

Link : Thermalright SI-97 GPU Cooler Mod Guide Rev. 2.0!

16. sbohdan

sbohdan Newbie

as my venture proves it (based on Maxe's mod), you can do it on any 6800 card for sure.
    it works on any 9800 (SE, vanilla, pro, xt) and any 6800 (LE, vanilla, GT, Ultra)
    not sure about the GS but it seems the PCB is the same size so I assume it would fit also on new 6800GS cards and since those are said to OC tremendously even with stock cooling - imagine what they could do with this mod :D

17. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Thermalright SI-97 GPU Cooler Mod Guide Rev. 2.1!

The guide has just been updated! :wave:

The stock coolers on most graphics cards barely do the job. If you are into overclocking, you would most certainly opt for a third-party cooler from the likes of Zalman or Arctic Cooling.

But for a select group of extreme overclockers who enjoy voltage-modding their cards for the extra edge, even third-party coolers just won't hack it.

Today, Max_87 shows us just how easy it is to mod a Thermalright SI-97 CPU cooler into an awesome GPU cooler capable of handling even voltage-modded cards!

Here is the update:-
    [​IMG]

Link : Thermalright SI-97 GPU Cooler Mod Guide Rev. 2.1!

18. Cocaine

Cocaine Newbie

I noticed that on both mods, the heatpipes positioned incorrectly.

When positioned in tower mode, the situation becomes even worse becuase the video cards sits upside down; forcing the heat exchange liquid inside the heatpipe to sit where all the fins are. When the GPU heats up, all it is heating is a hollow pipe. This makes for extremely poor heat exchange. See below:

[​IMG]

The heatpipe is supposed to heat the liquid inside to where it starts evaporating; traveling upwards. The fins are supposed to catch this heat and cool it down. Once cooled, the liquid will go back down and the process starts all over again. To achieve better performance, one should position the pipes parallel to the ground or when possible, have the liquid sinking down towards the GPU contact point. in other words; get a reversed case like the Lian-Li PCV1000 series cases or invert the cooler so that the fins are above the video card. I'm very interested in seeing the temperatire results if anyone does this. In fact, just flip your system over and post results.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  19. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

hmmm .... i guess it will loose its effeciecy

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Oh yeah! I totally forgot about the heatpipe! You are completely right! It will not work for a heatpipe! The heatsink should be facing upwards in order for the heatpipe to work!