Things I hate about Apple iTunes!

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Adrian Wong, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I love the Apple iPhone but grrr... why is Apple iTunes so crappy??? :mad: :mad:

Here are some things I really hate about iTunes :

1. You can't directly upload files (PDFs, ebooks, Word documents, etc.). What does Apple have against documents???

2. It hangs all the time!!! What's up with that? It hangs whenever it's syncing the iPhone, or "processing" a downloaded app, or copying apps or files to the iPhone. Extremely frustrating!

3. It sucks up ALL my CPU time whenever it installs a new app in my iPhone!

4. It causes Photoshop to hang when I attempt to copy and paste an image while it's syncing my iPhone!!! :wall: :wall:

5. It takes a long time to install apps! Processing an app takes forever! :wall:

Apple really needs to buck up... and do it FAST!!!!

2. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

oh no.. you've just angered the god.

Fast, say sorry, else your iphone might just refuse to work tomorrow.

*iTunes is a piece of shit. Everyone but fanboi knows that. Really, what can we do?
    They give us shit, and we like this shit, so we have no choice but to live with this piece of shit.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I'm a big proponent of drag and drop. Even if I'm on activesync on my Touch Pro2, I can drag and drop. :mrgreen:

4. Adrian Wong

LOL!!! I have to live with this piece of shit because there's no other way to upload apps and stuff to the iPhone! :wall:

Worse still, it won't allow me to upload PDFs! What the heck is wrong with that???

5. Adrian Wong

That's one thing I really miss with the iPhone - full flexibility with files. Apple is so tight-assed that they won't allow just any file to be uploaded - only what they approve. :nuts:

So if I want to read a PDF file, they insist that I must use a damn stupid and convoluted path of first uploading it to a website, and then downloading from it. :nuts:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That's why I love my phone. :mrgreen:

Unless Andriod has a good sat nav software, I will still stick to WinMo... :haha:

7. Adrian Wong

The Apple iPhone's Map feature is pretty good. :thumb:

Of course, it's not a full-fledged navigational software with voice commands but it's good enough for use when not driving yet.

If I'm not mistaken, you can also buy this TomTom navigational software for the iPhone but it's not cheap. I think it's about USD 50 or so?

8. Adrian Wong

Coming back to topic... Another thing I hate about iTunes is that they intentionally make it easy for you to accidentally click and BUY something you didn't really want.

All you have to do is accidentally click on the download link (which doubles as payment link) and hey presto! they charge your card! :mad: :mad:

Worse of all, they will only refund you the first time you make this mistake. Thereafter, well, caveat emptor! :mad:

9. Adrian Wong

Ahh.. Just discovered another thing to hate about iTunes...

Apple is so tight-assed that they don't even allow you to CHANGE where you want your backups to be stored. Thanks to the lack of options, the amount of free space in my OS & Programs partition went from over 10GB to 0 bytes. :wall:

Thank you so much, Apple! :mad:

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Google Maps for Andriod shows turn by turn (like a "traditional" GPS navigation system does - ala Garmin style layout - even comes with streetview... :o ).

Google Maps Navigation on your mobile phone

11. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

This is why i down own an apple product :p

12. Chai

Well, this is the thing about a closed platform. You can't really blame them. Are you sure you can't change the path? I remember there's an option for that.

PsYkHoTiK: Google Maps Navigation only works in US, and it has a lot of mistakes in the map, like no 1-way street detection etc. The good thing about Garmin is there's a very good community in Malaysia who updates Malaysia map very frequently and it is really superb. After using it for years, there's no major mistakes in the map, not even 1-way street error.

13. Adrian Wong

No, there's no option. They only TELL you where the backup files are located (if you dig into their Help files), but they don't allow you to move the backup files, or change where they are stored.

14. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

you can't tell god what to do. It's a one way traffic..

Sorry boss, hope you get a better deal in your next life..

p/s: I've not connected my iphone to my PC for over 2 months already :shock:

15. Adrian Wong

Haha.. That's so funny - you can't tell god what to do. :thumb: :haha: :haha:

16. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Yea. I rarely connect my iPhone to my PC too... it's pretty much self-sustaining most of the time, except when I wanna get more music into my iPhone.

For PDF files, use those file viewer apps. It works over wifi so you can FTP your file over and voila, done.

Well, the close platform sucks for sure, but it's one heck of a platform... it's a wonder how we are sucked into it.. LMAO. I'm a happy sucker for now :p The amount of apps makes my PC almost redundant now.

But then again, there's always Cydia if you wanna go that path...

17. Adrian Wong

LOL! I sync my iPhone all the time because I need to upload new apps and new movies.

Yes, you can directly install new apps directly on the iPhone but I also have an iPod touch (which I bought for Jenny) - easier to download apps using the PC and install on both.

Besides, the iPhone seems to be quite buggy and unstable. Have to reboot it quite often. That's why I back up my iPhone as often as I can.

Close platform is one thing, but why intentionally block the direct transfer of documents (PDF, Word, Excel, etc.) to the iPhone??? This is something Windows Mobile has a distinct advantage over the iPhone, and the confounded thing is... Apple decided to do it. It's like shooting yourself in the foot. :nuts:

LOL! Yeah, the number of apps is just insane... The number of free apps alone is more than enough to keep you occupied for ages! Of course, there is a ton of crapware, but it's better to have more choices. :thumb:

18. Adrian Wong

Speaking of installing apps, I noticed something odd.

The Apple iPhone has no problem downloading and installing an app within a minute or two, and you can do it while you are doing something else with it - play games, write a message, etc. However, the reverse is true for Apple iTunes.

Whenever iTunes installs an app, it takes much longer and it locks up iTunes! Yes, you can still use other applications, but iTunes also takes up all available CPU time. The two cores in my Core 2 Duo processor were fully maxed out by iTunes installing apps on my iPhone. :nuts:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  19. Chai

All the mobile OSes are closed platforms. The only difference is, Apple does even more than 'closing' the platform. It controls every damn thing on your phone, the software you install etc. It doesn't even allow freeware to be installed on iPhone if it's not in App Store.

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

adrian: stop cracking your head or you will go crazy!

such divine phenomenal is not meant to be understood! instead, learn to appreciate its beauty! oh steve job my lordddddddddddd enrich meee with your awesomeness iosfoisoivboishfoihsfoihfbsfbfgbefbiuiuoihoiHIHoihsdohibvhiihsisdvsdvFFBFBFBALALALALLALALA!

iphone is very bad in network switching (while roaming). was in HK last week, and >50% of the time I received no signal! got into a cab, reboot, connected to 3 or PCCW, into a tunnel the cab went, and this piece of shit would go offline. reboot. back with signal, out of tunnel, it said bye bye again! it's too dumb to switch! what a piece of shit!

having said that, i love my iphone :angel: *sayang sayang

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010