Things I hate about Apple iTunes!

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Adrian Wong, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hehe.. That's because they want the 30% cut on your app. :D

But if it cuts into their profit sharing scheme with the service providers, then you can forget about your app ever getting approved. Look at Google Voice... :wall:

The US government should look at Apple for anti-trust violations... :shifty: :shifty:

2. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Sounds like the problem I have with Maxis 3G. Did you try disabling 3G? It could be a network problem. :think:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Get an iPod touch and Nokia 3210. :haha:

My phone works pretty well with Maxis 3G voice.

4. Adrian Wong

I don't know.. I swore off Maxis 3G after all the shit that happened with my Dopod.

It also sucks the iPhone's battery like nobody's business so I turn it off unless I really need it. Incidentally, Maxis' own staff also recommends turning off 3G because it's too unreliable. :nuts:

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

my friend's nokia worked just fine. iphone is very slow in carrier switching (while roaming). I have the same issue whenever I'm in KL

Still, it's sacred so I dare not ask too many questions. it is what it is.

6. Adrian Wong

Jenny's Nokia works fine too, but only because it doesn't support 3G. :haha:

My iPhone also works well, as long as I keep 3G disabled. :nuts:

7. Chai

Although my phone has been switching from 3G to GPRS and back-and-forth, but I almost never encounter line drop. Not recently.

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

so what's the verdict?

9. Adrian Wong

I don't know. I get it all the time with my Dopod 595 (which cannot turn off 3G).

No harm trying with 3G off.

10. Adrian Wong

Arghh... Another thing about iTunes - it doesn't allow you to transfer files from your PC to your friend's iPhone! :wall: :wall:

Apple intentionally ties your iPhone to a single "album", basically a single PC. If you want to copy files from another PC, they will insist on wiping out your iPhone's data first. :nuts:

In other words, if you visit your relative, and... Hey, that's a mighty nice video there of your niece. Can I have it? Sure, you can... if you allow iTunes to wipe out everything in your iPhone first! :nuts:

The only way around this is to buy an app that allows you to transfer files from one iPhone to another... or to copy the files back home using a USB drive and then sync it to your iPhone using your own PC. :wall: :wall:

Apple made the iPhone so capable that it can do almost everything on its own, and yet, they insist on adding feature blocks to remind you of just how reliant you are on your PC and just how much power they have over you.

11. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

The iPhone itself is not very good at 3G reception or even normal GSM reception for the matter. I can easily get full bars on 3G/GSM indoors with other phones such as HTC and Blackberry, but not with the iPhone 3G or 3GS.

12. Adrian Wong

Ahh.. Off topic a bit, but I agree. Indoors, it can get so bad that it registers that there is no signal. But I think it also depends on whether you enable 3G or not... :think:

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

if there was a zune phone, i would swap it with my iphone immediately.

14. Chai

Well, that's what most people say WM7 is based on. But with iPhone's huge application list, I think you will regret. :haha:

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

not really. my so called "honeymoon period" with the iphone ended a few weeks after I got my 3G. yes it has 100k apps but majority of them are shitty apps and duplicates. have not downloaded any new apps for a long long time because the apps I have now are good enough. i upgraded to 3Gs because its hardware makes the whole experience smoother than it already is and I stick with it until today because it gives the best experience in doing web related stuff but if there is a good alternative i will switch for sure.

as a matter of fact, i want to try new phone so badly and I think I will get an adroid phone.

if WM7 is what we have seen so far, it will be another piece of rubbish. seriously, you can't shrink a desktop onto a smartphone! the usability aspect has to change! How can they expect us to have both hands on a phone while walking toward a train station!

the first step they can take, remove that dumb X button, n prohibit your hardware vendor from skinning your OS! the experience has to be as smooth as a well oiled engine.

let the zune team in charge, please!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  16. Chai

I don't think there's a final WM7 out there yet. Even the beta WM6.53 already moved the X button to the bottom.

I don't know about you, but skinning can be disabled easily. I like the flexibility of able to skin my UI, unlike iPhone, which is cumbersome if I have tons of applications. Of course, that is no excuse for not improving the home screen.

Yeah, I tried searching for an app in App Store, what a painful experience, so much crap.

17. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the App Store is really bad. Another reason to hate Apple iTunes.

The best way to find good apps is actually to ask your friends. Browsing through the App Store will drive you nuts. There are so many apps that it is very, very difficult to differentiate the gems from the crap.

The ratings are pretty useless because Apple insists on restricting ratings to individual countries. So, if my account is registered to Malaysia, I get to view almost no ratings because I am not allowed to view how the rest of world rates the apps!

For all of Apple's anal insistence on approving each app and their updates, you would think that they would have at least filtered out the truly abominable apps. But no... as long as it works and it does not crimp on their ability to make money (e.g. Google Voice), they will approve it.

But this is all Apple's plan. It's their way of making money. More choices in apps is their way of enticing more people to join up. Never mind the crapware... There will always be fools who buy them or unfortunate souls who accidentally buy them. Whether you buy crap or a gem, they still make 30%. That's all they care.

To think so many people think he's a saint... :mrgreen:

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

what you are talking about!??

he is a saint!!!

:lol:

19. Adrian Wong

I can't wait for the Pope to beatify him! :twisted: :haha:

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

pope busy with malaysia now la :lol: