Thinking of getting a new hard disk..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zy, Mar 17, 2006.

1. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

:wave: mi using 3 hitachi SATA HDDs now!! :dance:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm thinking of getting WD Raptor, or a bigger but slightly slower 7200...Hmm...I want Hitachi!!!

Is WD740 really that much better than 7200RPM drives? I'm actually interested in the faster seek time. I find the Seagate quite slow compare to my old D740X!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The seek time is actually limited by its rotation speed. All hard drives with the same rotation speed will have the same seek time.

Actual seek speed will also be affected by areal density. So, the higher the density, the faster the seeks, even if the seek time is the same.

4. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

why not use raid 0 ? raptor is nice .... but is really expensive compare to normal sata drive.

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

right now Im using 2 raptors in a RAID 0 array (TCQ disabled) and honestly I hardly feel any significant improvement :lol: except my OS installation now takes only <15mins :lol:

then again, i've been using raptor for more than a year and I don't really remember how the 7200rpm day was like..

chai: if you want to try the 75gb model before buying it (to see if it really improves ur experience), let me know. i can grab one test drive for you (that machine, AMD still haven collected it back :lol: :haha: :haha:)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  6. Chai

Of course I would love to try it! :haha:

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hookayy..
    once i get back to KL i will pass u the drives.

8. Chai

Thanks! :thumb: