Time for a new monitor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jasperchc, Apr 3, 2008.

1. waynez

waynez Newbie

A question about this native resolution for LCD's. Let's say i get an 17" LCD and play an older game like Starcraft on it, the display quality would be much lower than on my current 17" CRT?
    Most of the older games went as high as 640*480 or 800*600..
    :|

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Yes it may stretch or skew the image at lower resolutions. I did a quick check and it seems some LCD monitors including widescreen may have options to compensate for this.

Including the link I googled hope it helps :D

Native resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. waynez

waynez Newbie

Thanks for the info man. The thing is i have a really bad 17" CRT, and trust me it is very bad and malfunctioning so it gives me headaches and pain in the eyes. :wall:
    I do love the size of 17" and playing at 1024/768 at most games so i was planning on getting a 17" LCD for a long time.
    Now that i read that article i'm totaly confused on what to do. :shock:

4. Brian

Brian Newbie

I would recommend that you refer to this thread:

AnandTech - The LCD Thread

Most importantly, make sure you look at each and every monitor yourself first before making a final decision, and considering that the price gap between the monitors you listed is relatively small, I wouldn't consider the price first, since I'm going to look at the same monitor for the next few years :)

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is why I hate wide screen LCD even more. Try playing those games one a wide screen monitor and stretched.

6. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

well, the LG ones has this wide arc(aspect ration control) feature which will turn the resolution to 4:3 :think:

7. Chai

Then you will see two black borders on both corners.

8. bslee

bslee Newbie

And I've thought games are currently authored to take advantage of wide screens, aren't they?.
    Of course I already realise WS are more beneficial for general browsing and multi opened windows.

9. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

Samsung 2253BW or LG W2252TQ, time is runnig out and still cannot decide :wall:

10. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

using L226WTQ, quite happy with it. :wave:

[​IMG]

11. Mac Daddy

Well there is some positive feedback for ya jasperchc :D

waynez I have played a few games on this 17 inch LCD including some older ones and haven't really had to much of an issue. Sounds like the LD monitor has the option of changing the aspect ratio as do some of the widecreen ones. If your going to be playing a lot of games with those resolutions and are having issues with your CRT monitor you might look into one of those.

12. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Acer, Benq and Samsung have good budget LCD monitors. I have Acer and Samsung ones and they are very nice. :D

13. waynez

waynez Newbie

Yeah, gaming is the first thing i have in mind so I guess i have to go for refresh times and sharpness. I don't really mind if it doesnt have a great view angle, and i find anything above 17" annoying. :D

Also, i stumbled upon this one and it seems like a good choice, what do you guys think?
    Samsung Syncmaster 730B PCSTATS Review - Evaluation and Conclusion

I really liked these lines:
    "The SyncMaster 730B test sample did not have any broken pixels which is nice."
    "For gaming, the SyncMaster 730B produced an excellent image despite not using the native resolution."
    "With its 8ms pixel refresh rate, the SyncMaster 730B is not just good for office/workstation work, it's also an excellent monitor for gamers or those who like to watch movies on their computers."

:haha:

14. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i love them wide-screens.

great for editing codes and doing my artwork. :)

games? couldn't be bothered, the only app i have that's running 4:3 resolution is 3dmark06.

15. Mac Daddy

Sounds like they made it for you lol. Looks solid to me :thumb:

16. waynez

waynez Newbie

Good to know. :mrgreen:

17. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

huh how come? ur code 1 line super long?

the reason i got the non wide screen because i can see more code
    as in the height is longer.. so more code..

18. Chai

Same here. I can see more lines with a non-WS, and photo editing is much better, especially if you edit a lot of potraits.

19. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

well, i got the LG w2242t. The samsung 2253bw was way too expensive here as people can get it for RM940 over west malaysia even last month from lowyat, while the price i was given was RM1040, which i think is absurd. The LG seems alright with 8000:1 DC although it has 5ms respond time, i tested it and doest seem to have any ghosting effects :pray:

And does anyone knows what is the dead pixel policy of samsung? i asked the saleslady and she told me they will exchange it as long as there is (any) dead pixel or lines or whatever, which i find it hard to believe :think:

20. Chai

Usually 7 dead pixels I think. Depends on the manufacturer. Some has zero dead pixel policy.