Too many bytes!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by redsierra, Aug 10, 2011.

1. redsierra

redsierra Newbie

Hi, I just bought an olympus digital camera (14mp, 10X zoom +wide and HD).
    Pictures were uploaded to pc - OK.
    My problem is when I came to see the pictures on the monitor, I got a message " unable to view, image to large".
    Camera image size is set to 14M (4288 x 3216) which is suitable for printing pictures at A3 (11 x 17 in.)
    If I set it to 8M (3264 x 2448) although its same size as above, that is 14M, it is viewable but once send by email, the receiver see only part of it and has to scroll to see the rest.
    Help needed in how to adjust the jpeg image to a manageable size. Is it done on the camera before image is photographed or can it be resized after.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you want to have a managable size, set to 1M or 2M on the camera is more than sufficient. This is why I think high MP cameras are pointless. Most consumers don't even need close to that sort of resolution.

Another method is to resize it using software on PC. But since you don't need to develope huge photos, 1M or 2M is more than sufficient. I was able to print fantastic photos with just 4MP on 12R.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Either way. If you prefer not to resize your photos for web uploads or e-mails, you can set the camera to use lower resolutions (Small or Medium sizes, for example).

If you prefer to record at the maximum resolution, then you will need to resize the photos on the PC. You can use any photo/graphics editing software like Photoshop to do it, or any one of the many freeware utilities available online to do it.