too much fanage?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by automaton, Dec 15, 2011.

1. automaton

automaton Newbie

I have 2x 2oomm top and front fans with a rear 120 45 cfm exhaust
    being a fanaholic I want more
    case 1 add a 100 cfm exhaust
    cas2 add a 100 cfm exhaust and a spot cooler on nb
    case 3 spend a lot replace side panel with haf 912 add a 140 100 cfm intake fan
    is this overkill I am running at stoc

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

There is no such thing as overkill!!! :mrgreen: But I'm getting old. I prefer a quieter machine now.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

With so many fans, you can opt for slower fans to reduce noise levels.

I leave my PC "naked" so it has this huge fan blowing from above. The only downside - it collects a lot of dust!

4. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

A lot of fans is fine, but as Adrian said, if you're going to use that many, making them as silent as possible is the way to go.

My priority is reliability at all costs as I build my rigs to last as long as possible, thus I prefer fans with ball bearings or Sintec/Hydrowave type bearing and steel internals with silicone mount dampening. I also aim for slight negative pressure to keep dust out of my system. You can't go wrong with good fan makes like EBM Papst, Panaflo or Sanyo.

The last bit I usually do is create "duct zones" where flow is made as lamelar as possible, but this takes a lot of imagination and a basic idea of compressible gas flow.

5. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

u might wnat to do some experiment, try turning off some fan and see the temp. compare to full blast of fans.