Tool to detect SATA mode in BIOS

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dashken, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Is there any command line tool where I can detect the SATA mode (IDE, AHCI, RAID) set in BIOS? Preferably able to run on Windows PE?

I tried using Vista WinPE with diskpart command to detect the disk mode by using select disk 0, detail disk and was able to detect the sata mode of the disk. It works fine. But if I set the SATA mode in the BIOS to RAID and only plug in one HDD, when using diskpart, it will only detect the disk as ATA (or AHCI) but not RAID (since RAID requires more than one HDD).

So, this method doesn't work in the mentioned event above. Hence, I need to look for a tool which is able to detect what is set in the BIOS instead of the disk. :think:

Any idea? :mrgreen:

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Hmmm nothing off of the top of my head will keep it in mind though :)

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hehe... thanks! :D

I'm trying to create a 'very generic' Windows XP custom installation CD to cater for IDE, AHCI and RAID. On top of my head now is to create an image for IDE and one for AHCI and then detect the sata mode before I apply the appropriate image.

The problem I'm having now is, after capturing an AHCI image from system 1. When I applied it to system 2 with SATA mode = RAID (but only 1 HDD), I got BSOD 0x000000ED, unmountable boot volume. Damn. Now, I'm wondering if the RAID or AHCI drivers didn't install correctly. Have to go into that soon... :think:

Making a generic XP image is hard when you have so many chipsets and new Intel Matrix Storage drivers appearing next year... :wall: Last resort, I can just prompt user to put in CD with drivers in it and install from there... but that'll be a headache with every new drivers...

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Interesting and looks useful if you get it managed. SATA is a strange bird though and can be temperamental. Would be nice to have one slick app to detect then apply as you mentioned :think:

Will think on it almost MD's bedtime :D

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Wow... has it been that long? :roll: :haha:

Finally managed to finish this one because other more urgent projects kept coming in. How did I do it?

I used nLite... :haha: and just include the Intel Matrix Storage drivers and other customizations (specific info and activation)... :thumb: